Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Official F56 Wheel Fitment Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:16 PM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
why'd you go 7" vs 8" wide?
I'm on coilovers so rubbing was a concern with 8" wheels at 4X offset, unless I went skinny on the tires.

Even with the setup I went with, I had to raise the rear slightly because I was rubbing initially.

Also, I hate curb rash so I like the extra sidewalk buffer.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:58 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by MidnightF56
Since it looks like I may be the only one with these wheels on his car so far, my setup (225 Pilot Super Sports on the 7" wide Motegis) was perfectly fine on the track.

Grip for daaaaaaays, no issue with sidewall flex, and more comfortable on the ride home. They're in my garage right now, waiting for my next track day...

As has been stated before, 8" wheels are overkill for this car on the track... extra weight for little (if any) benefit.

And if you buy them from TireRack, they ship with the rings and lugs for proper fitment.
my only concern, IMO, is that it doesn't seem to be giving you the maximum potential grip as you don't have the full tire tread down on the ground. 7" wheel is 178mm and 8" is 203. a 225 tire, even with 90% tread coverage, means ~203mm, which dealing with a 178mm wide wheel, would hold it back significantly. i'm on an 8" wheel on 215's, which technically is too little as i see stretching. 225's would be almost perfect for 8's, but mathematically, not for 7's. to each their own, i just look at it from a mathematical perspective.

curious if you checked to see the tread line that was formed after the track session and where it is in relation to the end of the tread (unless michelin's have the little triangle marker, i dont' recall). also, what psi were you running cold and what did you peak at hot?

Old 12-11-2016, 07:03 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Since it looks like I may be the only one with these wheels on his car so far, my setup (225 Pilot Super Sports on the 7" wide Motegis) was perfectly fine on the track.

Grip for daaaaaaays, no issue with sidewall flex, and more comfortable on the ride home. They're in my garage right now, waiting for my next track day...

As has been stated before, 8" wheels are overkill for this car on the track... extra weight for little (if any) benefit.

And if you buy them from TireRack, they ship with the rings and lugs for proper fitment.
I probably won't even go as wide as 225s. What are the specs on the lugs they sent, and how do they differ from the stockers (seat, length, both)?

I don'y want 8" because I don't want them to poke. That look isn't for me, and with 205s or 215s tires will fit per their manufacturers' specs.

(I did email tire rack asking, but they haven't responded yet)

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 12-11-2016 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:29 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Still haven't heard anything back from Tire Rack, but the wheel I ordered came today. I could do without the big TRAKLITE logo, but whatever. They're light and look tolerable enough.

They seem to have a conical seat, as I assume the stock wheels do, so I guess the length of the stock lug bolts would be all to consider (unless there are different cone angles, which I've not come across). We've got single digit temperatures and snow everywhere, so I probably won't have an opportunity to pop it on for a look immediately.

I'll probably grab those rings from ebay, and give them a go when I have an opportunity.

--Matt

Old 12-16-2016, 06:41 AM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mattkosem
Still haven't heard anything back from Tire Rack, but the wheel I ordered came today. I could do without the big TRAKLITE logo, but whatever. They're light and look tolerable enough.

They seem to have a conical seat, as I assume the stock wheels do, so I guess the length of the stock lug bolts would be all to consider (unless there are different cone angles, which I've not come across). We've got single digit temperatures and snow everywhere, so I probably won't have an opportunity to pop it on for a look immediately.

I'll probably grab those rings from ebay, and give them a go when I have an opportunity.

--Matt

The stock lug size doesn't fit, something about the seat is different.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:44 AM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
my only concern, IMO, is that it doesn't seem to be giving you the maximum potential grip as you don't have the full tire tread down on the ground. 7" wheel is 178mm and 8" is 203. a 225 tire, even with 90% tread coverage, means ~203mm, which dealing with a 178mm wide wheel, would hold it back significantly. i'm on an 8" wheel on 215's, which technically is too little as i see stretching. 225's would be almost perfect for 8's, but mathematically, not for 7's. to each their own, i just look at it from a mathematical perspective.

curious if you checked to see the tread line that was formed after the track session and where it is in relation to the end of the tread (unless michelin's have the little triangle marker, i dont' recall). also, what psi were you running cold and what did you peak at hot?
Keep in mind that to do the math right, you need the manufacturers specs since 225s vary wildly in actual dimensions.

I didn't notice anything I considered abnormal wear after my track day, but I'm not a pro - the edges were slightly toastier from hard cornering.

Last edited by MidnightF56; 12-16-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:55 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because #racecar

Old 12-16-2016, 06:56 AM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
I don'y want 8" because I don't want them to poke. That look isn't for me, and with 205s or 215s tires will fit per their manufacturers' specs.

(I did email tire rack asking, but they haven't responded yet)

--Matt
I'm not trying to sell you on the 225s, but since there's a lot of concern about the math involved, and the manufacturer's specs...

I did my research, and for my particular tires (225 Michelin Pilot SS) the manufacturer's specs on TireRack list the recommended wheel size from 7"-8.5" so I wasn't trying to be avant-garde... I fall within the manufacturer's recommendation with this wheel/tire combo.

I suppose that depending on your tire, your tread width and other dimensions will vary considerably, and so YMMV!

Old 12-16-2016, 11:10 AM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
The stock lug size doesn't fit, something about the seat is different.
You probably need what are called "Tuner Lugs". Available in any speed shop or online. I needed them on a set of Motegi wheels on my R56 and also needed them for the set of Konig wheels I had on my F56.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:29 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
I'm not trying to sell you on the 225s, but since there's a lot of concern about the math involved, and the manufacturer's specs...

I did my research, and for my particular tires (225 Michelin Pilot SS) the manufacturer's specs on TireRack list the recommended wheel size from 7"-8.5" so I wasn't trying to be avant-garde... I fall within the manufacturer's recommendation with this wheel/tire combo.

I suppose that depending on your tire, your tread width and other dimensions will vary considerably, and so YMMV!
I guess anything's game once the stock tires are worn out. With 225s fitting and not rubbing, I guess they're up for consideration. Just have to consider the speedo error I guess.

Originally Posted by vetsvette
You probably need what are called "Tuner Lugs". Available in any speed shop or online. I needed them on a set of Motegi wheels on my R56 and also needed them for the set of Konig wheels I had on my F56.
That makes sense. We'll see if they fit first, then worry about the lugs after that. I can probably pick up some gorilla lugs that fit them. I've had good luck with the finish and longevity of their lug bolts historically.

--Matt

Edit: I ordered a set of these guys. https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Autom.../dp/B00SF8F0SG Looks like they should be the right ones.

Last edited by mattkosem; 12-16-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:02 AM
MidnightF56
3rd Gear
That makes sense. We'll see if they fit first, then worry about the lugs after that. I can probably pick up some gorilla lugs that fit them. I've had good luck with the finish and longevity of their lug bolts historically.

--Matt

Edit: I ordered a set of these guys. https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Autom.../dp/B00SF8F0SG Looks like they should be the right ones.
Those look nice, let me know if they work. For me it would also be worth checking to see if they have a lock available.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:34 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
I didn't notice anything I considered abnormal wear after my track day, but I'm not a pro - the edges were slightly toastier from hard cornering.
next time you go to the track, find the triangle...should be located right as the tread block goes over to the sidewall. next to it, draw a chalk line (from center-out, not around the tire). After your session, look at your chalk. you don't want to be past the triangle, but you also don't want to be far from it. you want to be right on the triangle. that's the sweet spot. if it's too far from it, lower tire pressure. if it's way past, raise tire pressure. besides that, you generally don't want end the session greater than 40psi. yes we have our TPMS, but i personally do a check immediately when i park. on some tracks, it may be right-heavy, so the left tire will get hotter.

should be pretty obvious if you go out to your tire and locate how far the tire went.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:36 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
I ordered a set of these guys. https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Autom.../dp/B00SF8F0SG Looks like they should be the right ones.
if at some point you get tired of the bolts, consider doing a stud conversion with lug nuts instead. i've switched over and man it's just so much more convenient. i am biased though as i track her often and on a hot day, i'll rotate wheels twice a day. even using the wheel holder is a PITA compared to having studs already.

good luck with the wheel check. fingers crossed for you. if they fit, i'm probably going to jump in on them....but @ 8" wide.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:39 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Those look nice, let me know if they work. For me it would also be worth checking to see if they have a lock available.
They do have locks too, but only in chrome as far as I've seen. They're these guys:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Nut-47141SD-Wheel-Lock/dp/B00T37405C

--Matt

Old 12-17-2016, 07:42 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
if at some point you get tired of the bolts, consider doing a stud conversion with lug nuts instead. i've switched over and man it's just so much more convenient. i am biased though as i track her often and on a hot day, i'll rotate wheels twice a day. even using the wheel holder is a PITA compared to having studs already.

good luck with the wheel check. fingers crossed for you. if they fit, i'm probably going to jump in on them....but @ 8" wide.
Meh, I've done studs on some of my VWs. I don't switch wheels enough for it to be a pain. I've been dealing with exclusively bolts for long enough that I don't really even remember what it was like to deal with nuts

Thx for the vote of luck. *fingers crossed* The heavy rainfall today seems to have washed a lot of salt off of my car, but I've been busy this weekend and it's supposed to get cold again tomorrow so I probably won't have a chance to try this weekend. I should have the hubcentric rings and lug bolts by next weekend, and I'll be off the week between Christmas and New Years so I should probably get a test fit in then. If they fit, it'll be a heck of a deal for a lightweight wheel! I got this one for $128 shipped with a 20% eBay holiday discount!!! Would have bought a whole set sight unseen if the deal scaled to more than one of them.

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 12-17-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:45 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Meh, I've done studs on some of my VWs. I don't switch wheels enough for it to be a pain. I've been dealing with exclusively bolts for long enough that I don't really even remember what it was like to deal with nuts

Thx for the vote of luck. *fingers crossed* The heavy rainfall today seems to have washed a lot of salt off of my car, but I've been busy this weekend and it's supposed to get cold again tomorrow so I probably won't have a chance to try this weekend. I should have the hubcentric rings and lug bolts by next weekend, and I'll be off the week between Christmas and New Years so I should probably get a test fit in then. If they fit, it'll be a heck of a deal for a lightweight wheel! I got this one for $128 shipped with a 20% eBay holiday discount!!! Would have bought a whole set sight unseen if the deal scaled to more than one of them.

--Matt

*tick*....*tock*

Old 12-26-2016, 08:03 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
*tick*....*tock*
Lol! I didn't get home till after 9 today, and it was pouring. It turns out the hubcentric rings I ordered come from Lithuania, so they won't be here for a while. I should have an opportunity to try them on without the rings this week either way though.

--Matt

Old 12-28-2016, 11:39 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Ok, had a chance to try it. It's a definite no go without maybe 12-15mm of spacing. The drum fits without any issues, but the face of the caliper contacts the back of the spokes.

Not sure if I'll get spacers to try or call it a day at this point. I'm going to mull it over for a bit I guess. In the meantime, if someone wants a heck of a deal on one of these wheels and a set of lugs PM me and we can talk.

MidnightF56: Any chance you can post a side profile pic? I'm concerned that 15mm of spacing will make them poke too much. That'll be 24mm further out than my track spoke wheels.

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 12-30-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:41 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Ok, had a chance to try it. It's a definite no go without maybe 12-15mm of spacing. The drum fits without any issues, but the face of the caliper contacts the back of the spokes.

Not sure if I'll get spacers to try or call it a day at this point. I'm going to mull it over for a bit I guess. In the meantime, if someone wants a heck of a deal on one of these wheels and a set of lugs PM me and we can talk.

MidnightF56: Any chance you can post a side profile pic? I'm concerned that 15mm of spacing will make them poke too much.

--Matt
dude...that.....f*cking...sucks...was really rooting for you. looks like i'm back to the RsE05's for the track. either the NM or Neuspeed 17" for 17lbs...pricey, but really my only lightweight option.

in case you're not familiar:
NM RSE05: 17x7.5 ET40
Neuspeed RSE05: 17x8 et45

Old 12-29-2016, 04:24 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
dude...that.....f*cking...sucks...was really rooting for you. looks like i'm back to the RsE05's for the track. either the NM or Neuspeed 17" for 17lbs...pricey, but really my only lightweight option.

in case you're not familiar:
NM RSE05: 17x7.5 ET40
Neuspeed RSE05: 17x8 et45
RSe05 is what I really want, just not in a dark color. If only they offered it in silver. Why oh why not in silver?

--Matt

Old 12-29-2016, 04:29 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
RSe05 is what I really want, just not in a dark color. If only they offered it in silver. Why oh why not in silver?

--Matt
the neuspeed versions are available in silver:
http://www.neuspeed.com/880503b-rse0...ght-wheel.html
just gotta pay a few bucks extra for the hub size to be drilled-to-match.

Black, Gun Metal, Silver, White, Red

Old 12-29-2016, 07:07 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
the neuspeed versions are available in silver:
http://www.neuspeed.com/880503b-rse0...ght-wheel.html
just gotta pay a few bucks extra for the hub size to be drilled-to-match.

Black, Gun Metal, Silver, White, Red
Is that an option at order time? They definitely fit? It seems like this wheel I have would poke too much with 15mm of spacing, even without tires on them. I'm thinking I'll have to go a different route. The Enkei wheels a few pages back don't look too bad either. Would be nice if the RFP1 or PF01 in 17" fit, but I doubt either does.

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 12-29-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:20 AM
VolcanicOrangeF56S
2nd Gear

225 on a 7" wheel is called pinching. You generally have a larger amount of grip because more of the tread block is available and usable and not taken up as sidewall or shoulder. Your tires (215 on a x8 with stretch) would have LESS grip but a more direct steering feel because part of your tread blocks and the shoulder are stretched. A lot of tires respond well to it for track use. My 225's on the Team Dynamics have a legitimate tread cross section of 225mm - they are pinched on my 18x8. I did that because those tires are faster pinched. Hell my jeep has 315's on an 8 inch wheel (not the same but you get my point). My challenger had 305's on a 9" wheel. Every tire runs a different size, and every tire responds differently to different set ups. To anyone worried about running a bigger tire on a smaller wheel google the tire. Someone has done it and will leave feedback.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:58 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Is that an option at order time? They definitely fit? It seems like this wheel I have would poke too much with 15mm of spacing, even without tires on them. I'm thinking I'll have to go a different route. The Enkei wheels a few pages back don't look too bad either. Would be nice if the RFP1 or PF01 in 17" fit, but I doubt either does.

--Matt
i'd email jerry @ NM-Engineering but he's already confirmed the RSE05's fit, both NM and Neuspeed versions. only difference would be rubbing in the rear and the fronts NEED to be ET40 to clear coilovers. so if i go 17x8 et 45, i'll need a 5mm spacer (already have them running daily on my 18x8 so whatever).

i'm copying and pasting my email exchange with jerry:

option A: 45mm offset wheels + 5mm spacer on the front for brake clearance. No rub on the rear with 215/40. OR,
option B: 40mm offset wheels which will clear JCW caliper without spacer and run 205/40 OR 215/40 tires and do plastic fender trimming.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:55 AM
VolcanicOrangeF56S
2nd Gear
i'd email jerry @ NM-Engineering but he's already confirmed the RSE05's fit, both NM and Neuspeed versions. only difference would be rubbing in the rear and the fronts NEED to be ET40 to clear coilovers. so if i go 17x8 et 45, i'll need a 5mm spacer (already have them running daily on my 18x8 so whatever).

i'm copying and pasting my email exchange with jerry:

option A: 45mm offset wheels + 5mm spacer on the front for brake clearance. No rub on the rear with 215/40. OR,
option B: 40mm offset wheels which will clear JCW caliper without spacer and run 205/40 OR 215/40 tires and do plastic fender trimming.
I'm running large 225's on 18x8 +40 and had to do minimal trimming in the front and just removed the inner tab on the rear.

Quick Reply: Official F56 Wheel Fitment Thread