Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Best 17" Tire Size

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014 | 03:52 PM
user 470223
|
Banned
Best 17" Tire Size

There are just too many options on here for tires size on here. I get a headache just searching around here. I have been sorting for days.

Here's the background. 2011 S with Black Conical Spokes. I simply plan on lowering with an Eibach Pro-Kit to start and keep the OEM wheels (for now).

I was thinking 215/40/17 over the stock 205/45/17. Any suggestions to help aleviate my angst on this selection?

Old 06-15-2014 | 04:31 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Originally Posted by godeepwvu
There are just too many options on here for tires size on here. I get a headache just searching around here. I have been sorting for days.

Here's the background. 2011 S with Black Conical Spokes. I simply plan on lowering with an Eibach Pro-Kit to start and keep the OEM wheels (for now).

I was thinking 215/40/17 over the stock 205/45/17. Any suggestions to help aleviate my angst on this selection?
To narrow the answer you must first define what "best" means to you.

So prioritize your preferences for:
handling
Fitting a lowered MINI and avoid rubbing
Use on a track or at autocross or other HPDE
Comfort
Noise
Use in wet, cold or some snow?
Budget

I will make a few assumptions for your case. Because you are asking this question and intend to lower your MCS, I think fitment without rubbing should be required.

A simple search for tires in 215/40-17 does not yield much of a selection of great tires for daily driving. see-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...erformance=ALL

In addition, running tires with a 40 serious sidewall on anything but smooth roads could risk damage to your wheels and tires.

So if your area has more than enough potholes 205/45-17 doesn't seem so bad afterall. Plus you can consider a much larger selection of tires with a wider range of prices.

If I knew nothing of your exact requirements I would suggest to you that the "best" tire size would be OEM 205/45-17 until proven otherwise.

If you want to be creative you can also consider 205/40-17 which fits MINI wheels and like the 215/40-17 is a much more aggressive tire with minimal sidewall flex (responsive but firm riding).

For 205/40-17 see-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...erformance=ALL
Tire diameter is smaller than OEM at 23.6" but that's OK given a suspension drop. Pick a tire that is 84XL load rated, not one rated 80 which is too small for some tire shops to mount the tires on a MINI (usually has 84-87 load rated tires). XL refers to the sidewall construction which is stiffer than normal and can carry heavier loads than normal tires would in the same size.
Again, this tire size should not be used on bad roads.

Old 06-15-2014 | 04:50 PM
user 470223
|
Banned
Thanks for the thorough reply.

I don't anticipate putting the car on a track - although I think that would be very intersting, but not sure how to even get started.

The lowering is more about the look...not sold on the high stock stance and prefer a lowered visual. Do not want a rubbing issue at all. Budget is not a huge deal for me.

The one thing that I am really clear on is that I like the look, but prefer to stay away from the risk (amd expense) of an 18" rim upgrade. Bent too many of them on Acuras and Audis that I have owned.

It's probably more about all around performance than anything else. I will probably build the suspension further.

Old 06-15-2014 | 05:10 PM
minihune
OK, still need more info to narrow choices-

Aggressive lowered stance look is a priority- this can be done without rubbing if you are willing to use more negative camber. This allows you to tuck in the top outer edge of the tire's shoulder blocks which can help if things are close to rubbing.

Did you want to consider stretched tire look, common in the Honda and VW crowds?
You'd be using a much more narrow tire stretched onto a 7" wide rim which effectively lowers tire diameter but also stiffens up the ride and may not give you good treadwear or good handling compared to a normal fitment.

Do you have passengers or cargo to haul in the MINI or is it just you? Less load in the car allows for more options.

Have you priced out or considered a fully adjustable coilover system? It costs more but gives you fully adjustable ride height and control over making fitment with most tire sizes of OEM tire diameter or less much easier.

The Eibach Pro Kit uses the stock shocks and the lowering of ride height is fixed at whatever you get. In my opinion it is possible that you can wear out your OEM shocks more quickly when pairing them with lowering springs. I first upgraded my suspension to H-Sport springs with OEM shocks and ride quality was firm and bumpy. A quality coilover kit has adjustable shock settings and is designed for use with the springs they come with.

So how bad are your local roads? And what about the weather? Any cold or snow?

Using any car on a track is easy to find out more about, check if Sports Car Club of America has an active region in your area or search for car tracks in your area and contact them about what events are open to the public and sponsored by the various car clubs. Or you can search for Evolution Driving School which has many courses across the nation.

Old 06-15-2014 | 05:39 PM
user 470223
|
Banned
Don't want a super aggressive lowered stance with the car, i.e. tires don't need stuffed up into the fender wells. Minis at about 1.5" seem perfect.

No on the stretched tire look. Have two or three workers with that silly deal and the rims are all trashed.

No rear seat passengers.

I am in Virginia. Can have bad weather, but this car is not a daily driver. It will not see bad weather. Its a weekend and evening and trip car.

I am considering one of these two kits potentially, especially if I can stay with the factory sized tire. I have done the adjustable coil over thing before and don't think I want to dig that deep at the moment.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...dClar=Cooper+S

Old 06-15-2014 | 05:52 PM
Mootsdog
3rd Gear
Not sure this is an option for you. Had mine lowered with TSW springs on bilstein struts. Couldn't find a tire that gave enough comfort or decent wear. Went back to stock springs and a larger tire. Gives the impression of being lower with added sidewall for comfort. Tuck fine in rear wheel wells with zero rubbing. Tires are Cooper Zeon RS3-A 215/45/17. Really good wet/dry traction and no tire noise.
Just a thought????

Old 06-15-2014 | 06:13 PM
HorseWithNoName
4th Gear
Originally Posted by godeepwvu

I'm thinking you have three tire size options IMO:

205 45 17 (stock OEM size)
215 45 17 (the most common OEM tire replacement performance upgrade size with room to lower the car)
225 45 17 (an extreme performance size and biggest tire that will fit with OEM suspension and rims)

We had two R56S and I ran the 225 45 17's, I loved the performance and beefy look it gave the cars personally.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by HorseWithNoName; 07-08-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2014 | 08:17 PM
gerry2153
4th Gear
I have a 12 MCS jcw - same wheels -nm springs and 215/45/17 michelin PS AS3's
love the tires - no rubbing and the also have a shoulder that protects the rim

Old 06-15-2014 | 08:41 PM
minihune
OK, the added info helps. Realize that every MINI is different and what works for one owner may not always work for another.

Look at your MINI now with OEM wheels and tire sizes and OEM suspension. Look at the gap in front and rear and imagine a 1.2" drop front and rear which is to be expected from the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs-

There are other lowering springs that will also work and will affect how much drop you get as well as the ride quality for daily use or for long trips.

Now with your imaginary drop in suspension of 1.2" how large is the wheel gap looking with your stock tire? If it's a lot of space then 215/45-17 may be a good choice and there are many very good tires like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. You can even go with an Ultra High Performance All Season tire in that size and get good handling, good ride quality and low noise and more treadlife.

In 215/45-17 for UHP All season tires-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...wws=N&showcm=N
With Continental Extreme Contact DWS being a good comfortable tire. Michelins tend to be pricey but are very good tires.

If you want to trade off some handling for more comfort, a quiet ride, and long treadlife then look at-

Although 225/45-17 will fit the OEM 17x7" rim, perfect fit would be with a 7.5" wide wheel while 205/45-17 and 215/45-17 both are perfect fit for a 7" wide wheel.

Old 06-18-2014 | 09:52 AM
user 470223
|
Banned
Thanks for all the great info. NAM is the best.

Old 06-19-2014 | 05:10 AM
roadrunner255
2nd Gear
Continental'

Originally Posted by minihune
OK, the added info helps. Realize that every MINI is different and what works for one owner may not always work for another.

Look at your MINI now with OEM wheels and tire sizes and OEM suspension. Look at the gap in front and rear and imagine a 1.2" drop front and rear which is to be expected from the Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs-

There are other lowering springs that will also work and will affect how much drop you get as well as the ride quality for daily use or for long trips.

Now with your imaginary drop in suspension of 1.2" how large is the wheel gap looking with your stock tire? If it's a lot of space then 215/45-17 may be a good choice and there are many very good tires like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. You can even go with an Ultra High Performance All Season tire in that size and get good handling, good ride quality and low noise and more treadlife.

In 215/45-17 for UHP All season tires-
With Continental Extreme Contact DWS being a good comfortable tire. Michelins tend to be pricey but are very good tires.

If you want to trade off some handling for more comfort, a quiet ride, and long treadlife then look at-

Although 225/45-17 will fit the OEM 17x7" rim, perfect fit would be with a 7.5" wide wheel while 205/45-17 and 215/45-17 both are perfect fit for a 7" wide wheel.
Great info Thanks!
I noticed that Continental also has a Continental ContiSportContact 3 (280), wondering how this compares to the DW (340)?

I am interested in the 225/45-17 for my GP2 that has 7.5" rims.

I currently am using the Kumho' 215/40 that are a bit harsh on the road imperfections although, I love the handling (dont drive the GP in the winter).

Cheers!

Old 06-20-2014 | 12:09 PM
user 470223
|
Banned
Now that I actually have the car in my possession, all of the comments above make complete sense. I think I am transitioning from a tire question more towards a suspension improvement question. I really don't know it I want much lower, but tightening it more for some of the events above may be more my direction. Hmmmm....dilemmas!

Old 06-26-2014 | 09:44 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
One thing to keep in mind is if you want the car to be low or to look low. Often you can go with a taller tire and the car looks lower (fills the wheel wells). Alternately, if you drop down to a smaller diameter, then the wheel gap will be greater (but the car will be lower when you look at ground clearance).

Also, the MINI is very limited in bump travel on the shocks, and the bump stops are frequently in use. Do some thread searches for bump stops. My car was very harsh with factory bump stops, OEM shocks, and TSW springs (3/4" drop). When I put in aftermarket bump stops the ride significantly improved over road imperfections. The koni's made the most difference, though. Fat Cat Motorsports and Way Motor Works offer bump stops.

Sorry for the tangent off of the tire question........

Have fun,
Mike