Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Recommendation for 15" tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Uhooru
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendation for 15" tires

Hi, first post here. Have a 2002 MC stock 15 wheels and tires. Have about 36,000 miles on the first set of tires, and its getting towards time to replace them before the summer traveling happens. I'm basically a commuter and easy driver, my clutches, brakes and tires usually last a good long time, but what's the point of having a MC if you don't push it now and again So, when hitting twistys on the stock tires, I will push them til they screech, sometimes at speed. They will even skitter around but they stick pretty well. What I would like to do better on, is the play in the tire. You can feel the car really swaying on the sidewalls at speed, and I was thinking a bit fatter, stockier tire would serve better in those situations. So, what would your thoughts be for a tire that has good durable wear for the daily drive and a bit more performance than the stock 15" tires for the few times I feel exuberant. I live in So Cal, so its a good amount of frweeway and street, and occasional jaunt to the twistys.

Thanx for your replys.

Last edited by Uhooru; 06-23-2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:38 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Some tire options-

Originally Posted by Uhooru
Hi, first post here. Have a 2002 MC stock 15 wheels and tires. Have about 36,000 miles on the first set of tires, and its getting towards time to replace them before the summer traveling happens. I'm basically a commuter and easy driver, my clutches, brakes and tires usually last a good long time, but what's the point of having a MC if you don't push it now and again So, when hitting twistys on the stock tires, I will push them til they screech, sometimes at speed. They will even skitter around but they stick pretty well. What I would like to do better on, is the play in the tire. You can feel the car really swaying on the sidewalls at speed, and I was thinking a bit fatter, stockier tire would serve better in those situations. So, what would your thoughts be for a tire that has good durable wear for the daily drive and a bit more performance than the stock 15" tires for the few times I feel exuberant. I live in So Cal, so its a good amount of frweeway and street, and occasional jaunt to the twistys.

Thanx for your replys.
Uhooru,

Aloha and welcome to NAM.

I've driven the stock MC with 15" wheels and tires and know what you mean. I own a MCS with 17" wheels and changed to non runflats.

The two sizes you can easily look at are plus one 185/60-15 and plus two 195/55-15.
I went to tirerack.com and found the selection for 185/60 tires to be rather limited and much better for the 195/55-15 size which included:
Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 treadwear 340 AA A VR rated $63
Yokohama AVS ES100 tread wear 280 AA A VR rated $58

And in 195/60-15
Yokohama AVS ES100 tread wear 280 AA A VR rated for $73 each
Bridgestone Potenza RE-950 treadwear 400 A A H rated $78 each (high rated tire)
(RE-950 also in 185/65-15 size for $71 each and perfect fit for 15x5.5" rim)

There are other tire choices in Toyo and Falken brands but these are not at tirerack.com. For those brands check with edgeracing.com

Old 06-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Uhooru
Neutral
Thank you so much minihune. I must admit to illiteracy regarding tire nomenclature. I think I understand about the sizes, just from reading through the threads. I don't know what the AA A VR or H mean, but I will now go on a bit of a websearch to sus that out. Thanx a mil. Did a little research and the Bf Goodrich Traction T/AH seem even higher rated by users in the 195/60/15 range. Will my stock rims take these tires easily? BTW, I'm one who actually wanted the stock 7 hole, I just like the look better than all the other stuff, but that's just me.

Last edited by Uhooru; 06-23-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:18 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Uhooru
Thank you so much minihune. I must admit to illiteracy regarding tire nomenclature. I think I understand about the sizes, just from reading through the threads. I don't know what the AA A VR or H mean, but I will now go on a bit of a websearch to sus that out. Thanx a mil. Did a little research and the Bf Goodrich Traction T/AH seem even higher rated by users in the 195/60/15 range. Will my stock rims take these tires easily? BTW, I'm one who actually wanted the stock 7 hole, I just like the look better than all the other stuff, but that's just me.
Sorry for the abbreviations on the tire specs. treadwear is a relative number, the higher the number in relation to 100 the longer treadlife you can expect if all goes well. Sticky performance tires are low numbers from 50 to 200 and harder rubber long wearing tires are in the 600+ range. Cheap road tires also are in the sub 200s.

AA refers to traction and AA is better than A, B, or C which is the lowest.
A refers to temperature rating which handles heat better than B, or C.
V rated refers to speed ratings. From tirerack-"Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met."
H rated max speed 130 mph good for Sport Sedans & Coupes
V rated max speed 149 mph good for Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars
For explanation see
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/tiretech/general/speed.jsp

For tirerack's comparison of the RE-950 and BFG traction T/A see
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/tests/testResultsModel.jsp&tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel =Traction+T%2FA+H&partnum=96HR5TTA
Both are very good but the RE-950 edged out the T/A.
The owner's reviews put the T/A on top but it is based on the fewest logged miles which means many of the owners only had a few thousand miles using their tires before the reviews were made.
For reviews I like to read the tirerack Tire test results to compare.

I bought a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE-950 tires for my Maxima in 225/60-15 and they work just fine like the review. So I don't think you will go wrong with RE-950 or the T/A but you can ask alex what would work for the MINI.

When you look at the tire specs you can see -
The stock tire size is
175/65HR15 *Load rating 84, speed rating H, treadrating *360, traction A temp A, max load 1102 lbs.
So when you are shopping you want to look for a tire that has a load rating of about 84 which supports about 1102 pounds. Fits a rim with width 5.5" and has an outer diameter about 24".
Lets look at two sizes-
195/60HR15 *Load 87H , max load 1190 lbs.,rim width range 5.5-7.5",rim width 5.5", outer diam. 24.2"

195/65HR15 *Load 91H, max load 1356 lbs.,rim width range 5.5-7.5",rim width 5.5", outer diam. 25"

While both these tires will fit the 195/60-15 is a better fit closer to stock tire overall diameter and load ratings and lighter weight than the taller 195/65-15 (probably more expensive too). The lower sidewall 60 series would offer slighter better performance and cornering.

Depending on which tire you choose tire shops have equiptment to mount these tires without much trouble. If they say that they cannot then find a performance tire shop. Cost ranges from $10 each tire to mount and balance at costco to $20 per tire to do the same at a performance shop.

I have the 7 hole stock 15" rims for autocross and they are good and light at 12 pounds each. I have extra wide 205/50-15 Kumho race tires on them. If the rims were 15x7" that would be better and I could mount 225/45-15 tires.

Good luck.

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 06-24-2004 at 09:11 AM. Reason: tracking info added
Old 06-24-2004, 09:01 PM
Uhooru
Neutral
Thanx minhune. I did some looking and got the abreviations and your explanation fills in even better.The stock Conti's are not bad, they are quiet and give a cushier ride, but they really are not quite enough tyre for the Mini. It looks like the 195-60-15 is a good range. A litttle stiffer sidewall and more traction, I should think. I was looking at some Falkons in that size at raceedge (i think) and they look attractive in that they are light yet have a very high warranteed tire life. (410 or 420) for 46,000 mi and were amazingly inexpensive. Longevity is a concern for me. But then when you do a web search on the tire, people's reviews are all over the place. some love them others think they are shoddy/poorly made and fall apart. Likewise with the Bridgestones and the Goodrich's. So I think I will give tirerack a shout and ask what their opinion is for the mini. Really appreciate your help and suggestions. I will be looking into those 950s. The other question that come to mind is, living in So. California, we never have snow. There must be advantages and disadvantages to buy all-weather tires like what we've been talking about. If I understand you correctly, when you autocross, you have a lot of rubber on the road. But basically, as you can see, I don't know squat about tires.

Last edited by Uhooru; 06-24-2004 at 09:14 PM.