Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Who has EBC slotted and dimpled rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 05:59 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who has EBC slotted and dimpled rotors?

I just bought some for the front of my MCS and see the note in the box that warns about NOISE.

If you have EBC rotors can you describe your experience? Are they annoyingly noisy? I am pretty picky with stuff like this.

I would VERY much appreciate your input. I have 7 days to decide if I will return them.

Thanks in advance!!
Brad

Old 06-24-2004, 07:30 PM
rcoopers
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do not know about those but i just put brembo slotted front rotors and eb green stuff pads on yesterday and so far no noise...just excellent braking ...very happy with that combo----got them from tire rack......

Old 06-25-2004, 10:01 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BradB
I just bought some for the front of my MCS and see the note in the box that warns about NOISE.

If you have EBC rotors can you describe your experience? Are they annoyingly noisy? I am pretty picky with stuff like this.

I would VERY much appreciate your input. I have 7 days to decide if I will return them.

Thanks in advance!!
Brad
I have them. When your next to a concrete barrier - they kinda sound like a rattler - with windows down, and radio off. Not obtrusive unless silence is golden.

Alex

Old 06-25-2004, 06:02 PM
paddy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
I have them. When your next to a concrete barrier - they kinda sound like a rattler - with windows down, and radio off. Not obtrusive unless silence is golden.

Alex
BradB,
I agree with Alex. I have put EBC Green's on all four's and the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors on the front, OEM remained on the rear. Against almost any type of barrier I hear the rotors and pads, but the window must be down and radio off. I consider the sound that they make as a good sound. Does not bother me and I hear everything. When you put the EBC pads on, be sure to use some type of "anti-squeal". I did this for the front, no squeal. I didnot put any on the rear, done first, and I get a little squeal from the right rear at neighborhood speeds making a turn. Other than that no sound.

Since your picture implies that you auotcross or spend time at the track, you might also want consider SS brake lines, along with a higher temp brake fluid. This will make a big difference as the pedal will feel firmer and will not fade or will not fade as quickly under heavy braking as the OEM fluid and lines.

Old 06-25-2004, 08:31 PM
BradB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, guys. I appreciate your input. Yes, I do the occassional track day but "comfort and quiet" is VERY important too.

I use Ferodo pads for the track and EBC Green on the street. I have ATE Super Blue fluid and will hope to get SS lines soon. I am anxious to feel the difference.

Thanks again for your input. I will go ahead and try the rotors, I suppose. Once bolted on I can't return them. I hope I can stand the "noise".

Old 06-26-2004, 01:26 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Sounds good

BradB,

I think you'll be fine. I did add the SS brakelines and didn't feel that much difference. They are not overly firm. Feels OK to me. Others who have driven my MCS told me the brakes feel good.

If the noise is noticable then roll up your windows and close the vents on your helmet and turn up the music.

Or take in the beauty of the rotors when parked.