Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Mini's Don't Need to Rotate Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 12:21 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by kenchan
>Checking tire pressure with each gas fill up

Check your tire pressure in the morning or while the car is cold.
I know minihuni is noting the check interval, but for
those newbies that interpret this incorrectly, you want to check
your tires while they are cold once every other week or so...BEFORE
you head out.
Thanks Ken,
That's what I meant.
What I often do is if there is no air at the gas station then I think of it as the right time to check air either that night when the tires cool off (usually I clean my MINI at night anyway in the garage) or the next morning.
If I get lazy and there is air at the station then I add a few pounds in each tire and check it with a tire gauge so that it isn't too high then I recheck the pressure the next morning when the tires are cool and let out some air to even things out.

Correct tire pressure will help the tires wear longer, help performance, safety and mpg, and handle loads better.

Old 07-01-2004, 07:30 AM
KatanaPilot
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW never recommended tire rotations, and they carried this recommendation over to the MINI as well. The dealer tech is just telling you what he has been trained.

I never rotated the tires in my old BMW, and never had any problems. The car handled great. My plan is to drive the MINI until the fronts are worn, then move the rears to the front, and buy 2 new rear tires. (Having more thread in the front tires is a bad idea).

As long as your alignment is correct, and your wear pattern is even, I would personally save the money/trouble and not rotate. It is more important to keep your tire pressure correct. I don't think rotating is going to extend the service life of your tire much.