Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Looking for some tire feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 08:53 PM
gravedgr
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some tire feedback

Well, the car is finally on order, so its time to start getting serious about wheels and tires. I think I'm sticking with the Kazera KZ-S in 18" (et 45, so no problems with the H-sport springs) and I want a good tire to match. When I originally asked Alex for a recommendation, he suggested the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. What I forgot to tell him is that I live in Atlanta, so I really don't need an all-season tire and can work with a summer performance tire.

Anyhow, the top 3 I liked off the Tirerack.com recommended list were the following (in no particular order):

Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S
Yokohama Parada Spec-2
Kumho Ecsta MX

Would anyone mind giving their impressions on how those three (or any others you prefer) stack up against each other? Thanks!

Old 06-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Tomslick
3rd Gear
Nitto 555'S. Got 'em on my mustang. Way cool. Smallest available in an 18" though is 215/35 and I'm not sure if that'll work. Nice, sticky tire. Nice ride, little noise. Really like 'em so far. Not sure about longevity yet.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...%2FPerformance

Old 06-30-2004, 10:50 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by gravedgr
... the top 3 I liked off the Tirerack.com recommended list were the following (in no particular order):

Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S
Yokohama Parada Spec-2
Kumho Ecsta MX

Would anyone mind giving their impressions on how those three (or any others you prefer) stack up against each other? Thanks!
Three different categories of tires. The Pirelli's are Ultra High Performance All-Season, the Yokohama's are Ultra High Performance Summer and the Kumho's are Max Performance Summer (the stickiest of the bunch but will wear out faster).

The #1 ranked tire on the Tire Rack UHPS survey is the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2, and it's available in 215/35-18 but pricey.

A lot of people on MINI2 are running 215/35-18 Toyo Proxes T1-S tires but these aren't available at the Tire Rack.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:55 AM
gravedgr
4th Gear
I understand the differences in their categories. I guess I was just hoping someone might have had some hands-on experience with them and could give me their feedback.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gravedgr
I understand the differences in their categories. I guess I was just hoping someone might have had some hands-on experience with them and could give me their feedback.
Nero - best comfort level - least sporty

Parada - best looking - nice look vs handeling combo

MX - best handling - a bit noisy if not roated