Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

16" or 17" R-Comp Options

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 11:43 AM
paulmon
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16" or 17" R-Comp Options?

I'm toying with getting larger brakes, either the new Wilwoods that will fit under a 16" wheel or the Stoptechs under a 17". This means my 15" R-Comps won't cut it any longer. What options do I have. My searches have turned up little to nothing.

Paul

Last edited by paulmon; 07-03-2004 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:34 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by paulmon
I'm toying with getting larger brakes, either the new Wilwoods that will fit under a 16" wheel or the Stoptechs under a 17". This means my 15" R-Comps won't cut it any longer. What options do I have. My searches have turned up little to nothing.

Paul
If its a Tirerack wheel, Email me!

Alex

Old 07-06-2004, 08:28 AM
paulmon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
If its a Tirerack wheel, Email me!

Alex
Wasn't a tirerack wheel Alex. Kosei K-1 Racing I got here in Canada. Seems the 16 and 17 R-Comps are non-existant. However the good news is it seems Wilwood has a kit that will fit under 15" using the Dynapro 4 piston caliper and a 11.75" rotor. I was hoping for more mass in the rotors but I think I'll top these up with some home grown brake ducts and I should be good. So it sounds like this is an option.

Cheers,

Paul

Old 07-07-2004, 07:11 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Paul
Paulmon,

When planning for a big brake upgrade you have to think about how easy it will be to install, how does it fit your plans for existing and future wheels and what do you get out of the upgrade.

Looks- the big brake kits are nice looking but to show them off you'll need a rim that is more open in design than some of the stock rims. Don't hide them if you can. The bigger calipers are impressive but the 16" kits are still pretty nice and less costly too.

Function- better stopping power is a function of the entire design- the calipers, brake pad material, brake design, rotors used, etc. Most big brake kits are overkill for street use but are handy for stopping on the track, at autocross or with driving school events.

Fit- sometimes it just ain't so easy to get those big brake kits on without needing shims and spacers for the wheels so just be careful and ask about what you'll need for an install for the MINI. The MC and MCS essentially are built the same for brakes so everything is the same except the selection of stock wheel sizes.

Wheels- each stock rim is built a little different so the 16" 5 spoke rim for the MC is not exactly the same as the 16" X-lyte rim for the MCS. Clearance for 16" brake kits like the Willwood will vary.

A good person to talk to or PM would be toddTCE who offers:
Option A: Wilwood kit $900+/- (price not confirmed yet)
Option B: TCE Street Sport kit $1059 base price
Option C: TCE Road Race kit $1099 base price

see-
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=27772

Many of the big brake kits for the 17" wheels are expensive.
TCE offers a good alternative for 17" wheels in more than one setup and with various brake pad materials great for street use to autocross and full track use.

Also when upgrading brakes don't forget to upgrade the rear brakes (brake pads, maybe rotors), consider better brake fluid with a higher wet boiling point and stainless steel brake lines if you want a firmer than stock brake pedal feel. Usually you can keep the stock calipers.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:43 PM
paulmon
4th Gear
Thanks minihune. I've been doing this a while and have done my homework. My current brakes are upgraded but it's still not good enough. Powerslot rotors, currently using ATE Superblue, been running Motul for the last 18 months. I've changed fluid 2 times this year already. This week I've got Ferodo DS2500s installed, I change brake pads like I change socks.

I've read toddTCEs post and actually discussed a 16" kit with him a few months back. I've also been reading about Wilwood's 15" kit which might be what I'm looking for. I HATE the R-Comp options in 16" and 17", currently run a Kosei K1-Racing with 225/50-15 Victoracers. My reason for upgrading is simple. Better heat disapation, a little more torque but without upsetting brake bias. A bonus are more available pads, an extra bonus with the Wilwood Dynapro is changing the pads is event easier than the MINI. Takes me 20 mins to change my front set of pads on the MINI which isn't long but any time I can save at the side of the track is welcome.

I know what I'm after and it was just recently that Willwood announced their 15" (11.75" rotor) kit. It uses the Dynapro caliper with their Thermalock or stainless pistons. I'm hoping they can do this kit with dust boots as I do intend to drive the car year round. I'm not worried about installation, I'm sure I can handle it.

Cheers,

Paul

Originally Posted by minihune
Paulmon,

When planning for a big brake upgrade you have to think about how easy it will be to install, how does it fit your plans for existing and future wheels and what do you get out of the upgrade.

Looks- the big brake kits are nice looking but to show them off you'll need a rim that is more open in design than some of the stock rims. Don't hide them if you can. The bigger calipers are impressive but the 16" kits are still pretty nice and less costly too.

Function- better stopping power is a function of the entire design- the calipers, brake pad material, brake design, rotors used, etc. Most big brake kits are overkill for street use but are handy for stopping on the track, at autocross or with driving school events.

Fit- sometimes it just ain't so easy to get those big brake kits on without needing shims and spacers for the wheels so just be careful and ask about what you'll need for an install for the MINI. The MC and MCS essentially are built the same for brakes so everything is the same except the selection of stock wheel sizes.

Wheels- each stock rim is built a little different so the 16" 5 spoke rim for the MC is not exactly the same as the 16" X-lyte rim for the MCS. Clearance for 16" brake kits like the Willwood will vary.

A good person to talk to or PM would be toddTCE who offers:
Option A: Wilwood kit $900+/- (price not confirmed yet)
Option B: TCE Street Sport kit $1059 base price
Option C: TCE Road Race kit $1099 base price

see-
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=27772

Many of the big brake kits for the 17" wheels are expensive.
TCE offers a good alternative for 17" wheels in more than one setup and with various brake pad materials great for street use to autocross and full track use.

Also when upgrading brakes don't forget to upgrade the rear brakes (brake pads, maybe rotors), consider better brake fluid with a higher wet boiling point and stainless steel brake lines if you want a firmer than stock brake pedal feel. Usually you can keep the stock calipers.

Old 07-07-2004, 10:00 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Thanks minihune. I've been doing this a while and have done my homework. My current brakes are upgraded but it's still not good enough. Powerslot rotors, currently using ATE Superblue, been running Motul for the last 18 months. I've changed fluid 2 times this year already. This week I've got Ferodo DS2500s installed, I change brake pads like I change socks.

My reason for upgrading is simple. Better heat disapation, a little more torque but without upsetting brake bias. A bonus are more available pads, an extra bonus with the Wilwood Dynapro is changing the pads is event easier than the MINI. Takes me 20 mins to change my front set of pads on the MINI which isn't long but any time I can save at the side of the track is welcome.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul,
You sound like you doing what you can appropriately/wisely. You mention "this week (you) have the Ferodo DS2500s installed", so what did you have before that?

If you are wearing pads fast then the ones to look at would be the DS2500 or maybe the Mintex M1144 Street track/autocross pads (Helix13.com). Webbmotorsports.com carries the Ferodo DS3000-
Quote-
Ferodo DS3000 Brake Pads from Randy's site
"Ferodo DS3000 track pads have a higher temperature range, yet still become effective at a relatively low temperature for a dedicated track pad. The .62 coefficient of friction is available at 250F and maintains a linear energy distribution to its temperature limit. Because of the dynamics of the MINI, I recommend using this pad on the track with the DS2500 rears.
Price: $210 front pair"

I'd say you might have maxed out the stock brakes- powerslot rotors are good. Stainless steel brake lines? You've got upgraded brake fluid (change it twice a year) Make sure your rotors/pads are clean. Find the right pads that work in the heat range you drive in under the worst conditions. Autocross isn't that demanding compared to the track.

Some additional ideas. Why do you use your brakes so much more than the rest of us? Lighten your MINI as much as is possible. Lighten your wheels- 15" rims and light tires if possible. Driving school to help fine tune your line so that you don't risk entering a turn too hot. Good luck with your quest.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:26 AM
paulmon
4th Gear
LOL minuhune. I don't wear out brakes like mad. I've got a brake pad sponsor and was using his pads for a while, I've just recently put back on my DS2500s while I wait for a new set of pads from him. They won't be making actual track pads as the demand for MINI track pads isn't high enough. However they makes some great street/autocross pads. Company is called "Williams Performance Friction" http://www.wpfri.com/

As for your driving school recommendation, hehe, I've been doing this for years. Taken more driving schools than regular school. I'm actually toying with the idea of doing the One Lap next year. Just got to convince myself I can live in a MINI for a week. LOL.

Trust me, I know what I'm doing, now what does this peddle in the middle do? LOL...

Cheers,

Paul

Originally Posted by minihune
Paul,
You sound like you doing what you can appropriately/wisely. You mention "this week (you) have the Ferodo DS2500s installed", so what did you have before that?

If you are wearing pads fast then the ones to look at would be the DS2500 or maybe the Mintex M1144 Street track/autocross pads (Helix13.com). Webbmotorsports.com carries the Ferodo DS3000-
Quote-
Ferodo DS3000 Brake Pads from Randy's site
"Ferodo DS3000 track pads have a higher temperature range, yet still become effective at a relatively low temperature for a dedicated track pad. The .62 coefficient of friction is available at 250F and maintains a linear energy distribution to its temperature limit. Because of the dynamics of the MINI, I recommend using this pad on the track with the DS2500 rears.
Price: $210 front pair"

I'd say you might have maxed out the stock brakes- powerslot rotors are good. Stainless steel brake lines? You've got upgraded brake fluid (change it twice a year) Make sure your rotors/pads are clean. Find the right pads that work in the heat range you drive in under the worst conditions. Autocross isn't that demanding compared to the track.

Some additional ideas. Why do you use your brakes so much more than the rest of us? Lighten your MINI as much as is possible. Lighten your wheels- 15" rims and light tires if possible. Driving school to help fine tune your line so that you don't risk entering a turn too hot. Good luck with your quest.

Old 07-12-2004, 09:48 AM
LaingC
Neutral
I have the Stoptechs with SSR Comp 17x7.5s (42mm offset) & 215/40 Kumhos. They have 3mm spacers on the front. I also have the Hsport springs and have no rubbing anywhere. The stoptech rotors are 2lbs heavier than stock but the wheel tire combo is 32lbs - 16 lbs lighter than the stock 17s. Haven't been to the track or autocross yet but feel is much improved on the street. This is not a cheap setup but inexpensive racing is an oxymoron.

Old 07-12-2004, 06:25 PM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
I spent some 400 bucks on a set of UNBELIEVABLE pads from Hawk (unfortunately, they have to hand make them for the MINI from a donor pad).
Don't think I'll be needing anything else, though I will duct at least the fronts.
Tried them back to back at MidOhio.... well, well worth the money.