Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Ok, Time for real Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 07:12 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RLmini
I would think that a serious road racer would want to stay away from a rubber booted caliper as they will usually just burn off. I have run willwoods on a couple of cars and never had a problem with with bootless calipers. Anodized bores and stainless pistons provide very good protection. For many years Willwood never offered booted calipers and they worked just fine on the road just as Wilwood claimed they would. I also know that competitors would knock Willwood for this. When I saw that they started to offer rubber boots, my first impression was that they where just trying to ensure that wouldn't loose sales to competitors that would beat them up on this.
An astute observation to the reasoning behind the newer caliper. And I doubt there are many MINIs who encounter as much dust and dirt as I do on the race car....same calpers for five seasons of use and counting.

Old 07-29-2004, 01:06 PM
sfmbroker
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently installed an upgraded front and rear brake system on my 2003 Cooper S. The system was designed by Todd Cook at TCE here in the Phoenix area. I've driven the car with the new system for a couple of weeks now in order to see if it works as I hoped it would.

I'm an SCCA Club Racer and Todd was my race engineer. We did well together so I didn't have any reluctance to ask him about designing an upgraded system for my car. I wanted more track like performance than the cars stock system provided. Specifically, a more responsive system, a little bit better stopping capability, better cooling and much more consistent performance under heavy use. I also wanted a lighter system. Good looks weren't critical but I asked for the drilled rotors, zinc coated. When all was said and done I wanted to be sure the system was also entirely compatible with daily driver type use.

That's why I went to Todd and TCE. I needed a system that would accomplish all of these things in a balanced way. I needed an engineered system that didn't cost a ton of money. I did not need a bunch of fancy bolt on stuff that put my head through the windscreen every time I went to the brake pedal.

I'm posting this today because I've had a chance to test the system under a lot of different driving conditions. I'm impressed - VERY impressed. Everything is comfortable in day to day use but when the driving gets spirited the car works like my race car. It's hot here but even with the heat the brakes don't fade. Stopping is a function of how you push the pedal. Push hard and it happens right now. Push a little easier and you can do relatively high speed cornering all day long.

My car is silver. When you see it with the drilled silver disks it looks pretty serious.

I'm not being paid to say these things and I wouldn't say anything unless I'd tested the system and really liked it.

My thinking was that if a proven race engineer - someone I trusted - couldn't figure out a brake system like I wanted - nobody could. It's also a cheaper system than anything else I considered. For me - it couldn't be better.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:58 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RECOOP
Bruce,

We haven't tried it with the S-Lites yet, but that certainly will be done and results will be posted very soon. The impression I got was the kit would work with the S-Lites.
Bruce,
We had a chance last week to try the S-Lites (17") with the new kit, and, unfortunately, you'll need some spacers .

Old 08-04-2004, 10:08 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Chayse
RECOOP,
Do you have more of an overall shot of the front of your car with the brakes behind the wheels?

Thanks.

Fred
Fred,
I got my car back this past weekend with a ported/polished head and Schrick cam to complement ( ) the Wilwood-based big brake kit. Here's a pic of the brakes from the front; click on the thumbnail for a better view. HTH...

Old 08-05-2004, 06:40 AM
mtrspt5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RECOOP
Bruce,
We had a chance last week to try the S-Lites (17") with the new kit, and, unfortunately, you'll need some spacers .
Spacers are not a problem with me as long they are not too thick. What size do you think the spacer will be?

Old 08-05-2004, 08:43 AM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mtrspt5
Spacers are not a problem with me as long they are not too thick. What size do you think the spacer will be?
Bruce,

I'm not sure, but you could e-mail or pm Sherwin at Brake Zone [post #119 in this thread]. Just mention you inquired about this on NAM. Good luck...

Old 08-05-2004, 08:54 AM
hayaku
1st Gear
does anyone have a full kit with rear calipers yet?

i really hate changing pads on the stock calipers.... takes too long in the morning when there's sooo much other things to prep/check...

Old 08-05-2004, 09:03 AM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Originally Posted by hayaku
does anyone have a full kit with rear calipers yet?

i really hate changing pads on the stock calipers.... takes too long in the morning when there's sooo much other things to prep/check...
Check out my posts [55, 64, 68] in this thread for a very fine Wilwood-based kit. The set-up for the rear kit should be available soon. Contact Sherwin at Brake Zone for details [post 119].

Old 08-05-2004, 10:30 AM
hayaku
1st Gear
seems to me there's alot of people pushing wilwood kits. besides price, what's the advantages over the other kits?

i've seen, brembos, ap, wilwood and their variants, kad, tarox, etc... has anyone done any extensive testing on these brake kits? ie:
- heat capacity and cooling
- fitment
- pad availibity
- wieght comparisons
- piston volume comparisons (ie: bias analysis)
etc etc etc etc....

i know there are some looking for performance and some are looking for bling, and they all practically do the same thing... but from a performance perspective, i like to get some nitty gritty details...

Old 08-10-2004, 11:17 PM
RLmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hayaku
seems to me there's alot of people pushing wilwood kits. besides price, what's the advantages over the other kits?

i've seen, brembos, ap, wilwood and their variants, kad, tarox, etc... has anyone done any extensive testing on these brake kits? ie:
- heat capacity and cooling
- fitment
- pad availibity
- wieght comparisons
- piston volume comparisons (ie: bias analysis)
etc etc etc etc....

i know there are some looking for performance and some are looking for bling, and they all practically do the same thing... but from a performance perspective, i like to get some nitty gritty details...
I am happy to announce that after seven months of developement and testing with some of our local road racers, I am now marketing a kit which is available in the NAM store. I have used Wilwoods many times in the past on personal cars. The Wilwood's are very good and I almost used them in my new kits except my little "Mini only" niche didn't excite them. I was lucky enough to find Outlaw who was very excited to help us mod our cars. Todd the owner helped design the kit and spent many hours helping to match up the right caliper, piston area, and pad choices. Like Wilwood the pad choices are wide and resonably priced. Willwood and Outlaw use the same pads. Outlaw is based in the South East and sells monstly to NASCAR and ASA oval track teams. We have had great results on the track with PFC #97. Hawk SP Plus have been great on the street. Most of my customers so far have been very serious racers who want consitant performance and low matainance costs. I also want to thank those of you who bought in early and where patient while we worked out some of the kinks.

Old 08-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I'd been talking to RLmini for quite some time now, and I'm pleased to say I now have the B3 17" kit on MM2. This kit had the discreet yet powerful look I wanted with the brake bias and pad availability I needed. If you haven't already seen my review, check out the B3 thread in Vendor Annoucements

Thanks to RLmini, and Todd at TCE, and everyone else that contributed to this thread for their big help explaining the options and the technicalities of BBK's!

Motor-On!
Ryan