Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire Chains???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 10:12 AM
DennisJ
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see our first Sierra Nevada snow storm is predicted for later this week, and am wondering about chaining up. Any recommendations for tire chains? Just this morning I ordered a set of Blizzaks from Tire Rack. I originally planned on going with their inexpensive/practical steel wheels. But after becoming obsessed with my Mini, I cannot bring myself to "step down" significantly from the white 16 inch alloy rims. The steel wheels have various wheel cover options (ugh!) I ordered some nice white 15 inch wheels to go with the Blizzaks. The rave reviews I've heard about the Blizzaks leads me to believe I might be able to get by without chains? I live at about 3500 feet and most years are only faced with an occasional foot or two of snow on the ground. The county road crew does a pretty good job of keeping the road plowed. I think is was around 1995 that we had an actual six feet of snow accumulation. Had to walk up the driveway for about a month. I can't bear the thought of having to leave my Mini stranded along the road. :???:

Any tire chain recommendations/experiences out there?

Old 11-05-2002, 06:21 PM
edlfrey
3rd Gear
>>Any tire chain recommendations/experiences out there?

No experience except reading ALL the Forums. Everything that I have read says that chains will fit ONLY the stock 175/65-15's and finding a snow tire in that size in the US is tough. Good luck and if you find a solution please post what you find. I'll take delivery in January (I hope) and will want to "go over the hill" from Reno.

Edited with added info:
I couldn't remember which tire company had this offer so I spent a little "browse time" and found it again. It is Les Schwab Tire, they offer two styles of chains plus this special offer. I will be checking this out more when I get my Cooper!

Passenger Chain Return Program
If you don't use your passenger car chains, return them for a full refund after the last legal date for studded tires!

Old 11-05-2002, 06:41 PM
Hibou
2nd Gear
Interesting,

I talked with my mehanics consultant (HiHi) about winter tires. I was looking for the most grip I could get, something like Blizzaks. He did not favour that choice even if they have excellent traction. His point is that the sport tuned suspension of the MCS, will be ruined especially with T rated tires, the car will have really bad cornering and handling on dry pavements.
He strongly suggests that I put performance winter tires, even if I loose some grip in the snow, the MCS with traction and ASC+T will still perform better than most cars and if i get stuck somewhere it will be because people in front of me are stuck.

I'll buy performance winter tires and carry chains if I can find that fit .

Winter is already here in Montreal

PURE SILVER MCS BLACK ROOF SPACE CLOTH PREMIUM PACK

Old 11-07-2002, 04:31 PM
jimmer0
3rd Gear
I looked into that too, living in Central Oregon. I saw a performance Blizzak on the Bridgestone website, and I think I even saw a runflat version that would be cool on the MCS. Check it out!

Old 11-07-2002, 04:42 PM
jwhcars
3rd Gear
I will leave my MINI in the nice warm garage and be bad and drive the Disco

Old 11-07-2002, 05:01 PM
Astro
3rd Gear
My guess is you will be fine on your Blizzaks combined with a healthy dose of common sense. However, if you have to travel on 80 or 50 and pass through chain control, they won't care what kind of tires you have. Without all wheel drive, you will be forced to chain up!

Spikes spiders are more expensive than the common cable "chains", but they are so much easier to deal with than chains. If I had a 2wd vehicle and lived at 3500 feet, I'd definitely consider them.

http://www.spikesspider.com/public_html/whatis.htm

Old 11-07-2002, 08:40 PM
DennisJ
2nd Gear
Astro...
Thanks for the input. The spikesspider chain alternative looks like the way to go. Yes, they are a bit pricey. Now I need to figure out if I will be using them enough to jusify the purchase. But you are right. If I get caught on the wrong side of the hill, I better have something!

My UPS guy brought my blizzaks this AM, mounted on nice alloy wheels. Kudos to TIRERACK for quick service. Three days from order to delivery. Securely packaged and they look great. I could see standard chains inflicting some cosmetic damage to those nice white alloys.

Old 11-12-2002, 07:33 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
>>Astro...
>>Thanks for the input. The spikesspider chain alternative looks like the way to go. Yes, they are a bit pricey. Now I need to figure out if I will be using them enough to jusify the purchase. But you are right. If I get caught on the wrong side of the hill, I better have something!
>>
>>My UPS guy brought my blizzaks this AM, mounted on nice alloy wheels. Kudos to TIRERACK for quick service. Three days from order to delivery. Securely packaged and they look great. I could see standard chains inflicting some cosmetic damage to those nice white alloys.

While we wouldn't recommend the use of additional traction devices, it has been our experience that properly fitted "cable" tire chains are the least harmful to tires. However, you should be warned that a winter tire's "softer" tread compound is more susceptible to chain wear than the "harder" all-season tread compounds used on the tires they are usually combined with.

Dan

Old 11-26-2002, 05:11 PM
ctownsend
Neutral
After reading all the tire chain posts I'm more confused than ever! Those Spiders look easy, but too pricey.

Any (proven?!) suggestions for using snow chains on my Cooper's 16" run-flats? 800.ask.mini had no suggestions ("call your dealer&quot, so I thought I'd try here...

I basically would like to occasionally use my MINI in "reasonable" winter conditions (i.e. light, rarely medium snow), but I'm clueless @ clearance, types, ties, etc.

Any ideas would be appreciated... thanks!
Carter

Old 11-26-2002, 06:23 PM
edlfrey
3rd Gear
>>Any (proven?!) suggestions for using snow chains on my Cooper's 16" run-flats? 800.ask.mini had no suggestions ("call your dealer&quot, so I thought I'd try here...

Page 85: 2002 MINI Cooper/Cooper S Manual
Snow Chains
The use of narrow-link snow chains is permitted in pairs only and only on the front wheels with the following tires:
175/65 R15
175/60 R16
With chain, do not exceed a speed of 30mph (50km/h)
After fitting the snow chains, do not activate the Flat Tire Monitor.

ASK MINI had no suggestion because they know all of the above and they also know that the 16" run flats are 195/55. I think it is somewhat an embarassing issue for MINI/BMW that they have sold cars that can't be chained up.

>>I basically would like to occasionally use my MINI in "reasonable" winter conditions (i.e. light, rarely medium snow), but I'm clueless @ clearance, types, ties, etc.

The conditions that you describe are probably not something that the "all season" run flats can't handle. However, if conditions change you may find yourself taking an extended holiday until the roads are cleared.

>>Any ideas would be appreciated... thanks!
>>Carter

A set of 15"s with snow tires IF your use is more than what I thought occasionally meant in your post.

Old 11-27-2002, 10:27 AM
ctownsend
Neutral
Wow, thanks for the helpful response! Sounds like I'm kinda screwed with my current setup (195/55R-16" performance Run flats). That said, I'll contact Spider (www.spikesspider.com) and see what they say. Expensive, but I guess I'd still prefer my MINI to a rental SUV!

Old 01-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Nunnother
1st Gear
>>Wow, thanks for the helpful response! Sounds like I'm kinda screwed with my current setup (195/55R-16" performance Run flats). That said, I'll contact Spider (www.spikesspider.com) and see what they say. Expensive, but I guess I'd still prefer my MINI to a rental SUV!

Hi ctownsend!

Did you ever get an answer from Spikes Spider? I am in the same predicament you are in. I live in SF and would love to drive to Tahoe to snowboard soon, but don't know what to do with the tires!!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 AM
hapicar
Neutral
Yes, I am in the same boat (sled?) as it is snowing here in Olympia, WA and is forecast to be a La Nina year with more to come. I will be contacting Les Schwab and Spikes Spider for more info and will share what I find out.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
" they won't care what kind of tires you have. Without all wheel drive, you will be forced to chain up!"

When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

Spider devices and tire cables qualify as traction devices.