Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Street rubber on track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 08:07 AM
paulmon
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Street rubber on track?

I'm SERIOUSLY toying with the idea of doing the One Lap next year. I must be crazy but I can't help thinking about how fun this would be. I'm trying to work out budget etc and one of the things that I'll need are tires. Tire Rack is the sponsor and if the tires are the same as available last year most major brands that Tire Rack sells will be available(BF Goodrich, Firestone, Kumho, Pirelli, Bridgestone,Goodyear,Michelin,Yokohama). As some of you may/may not know the tires all must be regular street tires. I'm wondering what street tire seems to hold up the best on the track? Something that can also handle rain. And last somewhere around 6000miles? The event allows only one set of tires to be used so I need something that can handle high temps on the track as well as wear pretty good.

Suggestions?

Paul

Old 07-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by paulmon
I'm SERIOUSLY toying with the idea of doing the One Lap next year. I must be crazy but I can't help thinking about how fun this would be. I'm trying to work out budget etc and one of the things that I'll need are tires. Tire Rack is the sponsor and if the tires are the same as available last year most major brands that Tire Rack sells will be available(BF Goodrich, Firestone, Kumho, Pirelli, Bridgestone,Goodyear,Michelin,Yokohama). As some of you may/may not know the tires all must be regular street tires. I'm wondering what street tire seems to hold up the best on the track? Something that can also handle rain. And last somewhere around 6000miles? The event allows only one set of tires to be used so I need something that can handle high temps on the track as well as wear pretty good.

Suggestions?

Paul
Gs D3's from Goodyear
or
S03 Pole Position from Bridgestone

Alex

Old 07-09-2004, 10:56 AM
paulmon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
Gs D3's from Goodyear
or
S03 Pole Position from Bridgestone

Alex
Yup, exactly what I've figured. I've heard mixed reviews regarding the GS D3. What are the S03 like in the wet?

Paul

Old 07-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, exactly what I've figured. I've heard mixed reviews regarding the GS D3. What are the S03 like in the wet?

Paul
Excelent in water, and they get better as they get older. D3's have a bit better hydroplaing resistance - hence the V shaped tread pattern.

Alex

Old 07-09-2004, 12:50 PM
paulmon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
Excelent in water, and they get better as they get older. D3's have a bit better hydroplaing resistance - hence the V shaped tread pattern.

Alex
Great, thanks Alex. Seems they're available in a nice and wide 225/50-15 too.

Paul

Old 07-09-2004, 07:11 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Great, thanks Alex. Seems they're available in a nice and wide 225/50-15 too.

Paul
I think a good choice would be the Bridgestone Pole position S-03 based on how well they do on several MCS in my area at autocross and with lapping sessions on the track. A durable and good performing tire on dry and wet. It's not as cheap as some but it does well.

Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3 are also worth a look but I have not seen them on a MINI in my area yet.

Tirerack has tested both and done reviews at their site. Talk to alex@tirerack about the size that would be best. 225/50-15 seems kinda wide and might rub but it could depend on which rim you use (stock rim is only 15x5.5" and will fit only until 205/50-15) - do you have an aftermarket 15x7"? what is the offset and your suspension setup? The lower the MINI the less offset range you have to work with to a point.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:27 PM
paulmon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
I think a good choice would be the Bridgestone Pole position S-03 based on how well they do on several MCS in my area at autocross and with lapping sessions on the track. A durable and good performing tire on dry and wet. It's not as cheap as some but it does well.

Goodyear Eagle F1 DS-G3 are also worth a look but I have not seen them on a MINI in my area yet.

Tirerack has tested both and done reviews at their site. Talk to alex@tirerack about the size that would be best. 225/50-15 seems kinda wide and might rub but it could depend on which rim you use (stock rim is only 15x5.5" and will fit only until 205/50-15) - do you have an aftermarket 15x7"? what is the offset and your suspension setup? The lower the MINI the less offset range you have to work with to a point.
I currently run a 225/50-15 Kumho Victoracers on Kosei K1 Racing, offset is et38. Car isn't lowered, the insurance companies up here have a cow if you "mod" your car. Mostly what they look for is lowering so I stay away from lowering and typical ricer body crap. I think I'll eventually get some coilovers, my possibly participation in the One Lap might necessitate such a purchase (Any sponsors out there? nudge nudge) but only if I can raise the car to stock height. From what research I've done only a custom set of LEDA will get the car back to stock height.

Anyways, as for the tires, if I lower the car I'd have to shave the inside of the wheel well which isn't that hard to do, otherwise a 225/50-15 fits fine at stock ride height. Benefit of this size for the track is obviously the width, they're also slightly (.5") smaller diameter than stock so you get a small gearing affect. Not to mention the side wall is a little thicker than stock (205/45-17) so you end up with a slightly more comfortable ride for the long haul. And doing 5500 miles in 8 days there are plenty of long hauls!

Paul

Old 07-09-2004, 07:53 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
I currently run a 225/50-15 Kumho Victoracers on Kosei K1 Racing, offset is et38. Car isn't lowered, the insurance companies up here have a cow if you "mod" your car. Mostly what they look for is lowering so I stay away from lowering and typical ricer body crap. I think I'll eventually get some coilovers, my possibly participation in the One Lap might necessitate such a purchase (Any sponsors out there? nudge nudge) but only if I can raise the car to stock height. From what research I've done only a custom set of LEDA will get the car back to stock height.

Anyways, as for the tires, if I lower the car I'd have to shave the inside of the wheel well which isn't that hard to do, otherwise a 225/50-15 fits fine at stock ride height. Benefit of this size for the track is obviously the width, they're also slightly (.5") smaller diameter than stock so you get a small gearing affect. Not to mention the side wall is a little thicker than stock (205/45-17) so you end up with a slightly more comfortable ride for the long haul. And doing 5500 miles in 8 days there are plenty of long hauls!

Paul
Paul,
OK, not having lowering springs is good. 225/50-15 with Kosei K1 racing is good. I think you will like the Potenza S-03 tires. For advice on the coil overs try calling Randy Webb at Webbmotorsports.com or Eric Savage at Helix13.com. That might be a good option for you.

Good luck if you choose to do it. Go for it. Let us know how it goes.