Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Inexpensive, Simple Brake Feel Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
After driving them about a week

including some fun hill driving, I'm convinced these are worth the $. I started a review in the reviews section. Go add your thoughts.

Matt

Old 03-01-2005, 05:13 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another source?

Tuner Motorsports: $59.95 for front and back.

That's $60.00 less than Tyrol Sport!

Old 03-01-2005, 07:32 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
SumWon,

I checked your link, they stated the kit fits both front and rear calipers. The picture of the kit shows 4 bushings and pins. Since each caliper would use 2 bushings and 2 pins this kit only covers one end on the Mini. Two kits are required if you want it at both ends. It's still a good price.

Dan

Old 03-01-2005, 07:44 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sanddan
Two kits are required if you want it at both ends
I missed that, good catch.

Old 03-01-2005, 07:50 AM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
Seems like a really good mod for the price, might consider doing it :smile:

Old 04-12-2005, 12:50 PM
minimc
5th Gear
Planning to do a brake job soon & this mod was near top of my list.

for Andy & his old VW connections/new MINI finds.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Wow, now i have to rethink getting the Willwood kit for 16in wheels (wasn't going to happen very soon anyways). Not sure, i'm still VERY spoiler from having amazing stock brakes in my SVT Focus and i want that stand on its nose feel back.

I basically lost last years local STX championship in the last corner of my last run of the day because the brakes just couldn't get the car down for the last corner.....

Thanx for the great thread Andy, i might just have to try these UNTIL i get the Willwood kit.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I've had them on for a couple of months.

Well worth it. I had a bit of squeal when I first put them on (we had a lot of rain) but none in quite a while. This weekend will be the first track day. I have EBC green and I had fade at the last open track I did. I'll see if the better allignement works better this weekend. I too don't know if I'll spring for a brake upgrade. I also have PowerSlot front rotors, and SS lines in front, but not back (long story there, but what do you want for free?). So I'm hoping for some improvement.

For about $130 including shipping, an excellent mod and overperforms expectations.

Matt

Old 04-26-2005, 09:29 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, thank you Andy for starting this thread! And Mat, thanks for telling me about it

Since I didn't see any photos of this "kit" installed, I thought I would provide one here...

I did a pad install at the same time, so I can't accurately attribute what did what, but I like the feeling! I'll be doing some rear braided stainless steel brake lines next, and my braking mods will be complete...

Oh, for those who want a tool for compressing caliper pistons, the one at Harbor Freight is 50% off, and I got it for 21 dollars and change

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732

Old 05-10-2005, 06:59 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I just installed my kit this past weekend. Fairly simple job although I did have to file the rear upper boss so that the "C" clip would fit into the slot of the bushing. Also blead the brakes (ATE Blue) while I was at it. Is there a difference? The answer is . Not huge... but well worth the cost and effort:smile:

Old 05-17-2005, 05:40 PM
etickt
2nd Gear
rear bushing loose fit

Ok. I just got done with doing the tyrolsport bushings, and hawk hps pads. Actually, I'm slightly more than half way done.

The front brass bushings went in nice and tight on sunday. I did that along with hawk hps pads up front, and the car definitely stops a lot quicker.

I just did a rear caliper, and the brass bushings were very loose. I'd say there was 1/8 inch play in them from end to end, after putting on the snap rings.. I was pretty nervous with this, and put the old rubber busings back in (along with some more hawk hps pads for the rear).

I still have all the old bushings. The front and rear rubber, and original pins appear to be identical front to back. What gives? Should there be that much slop? I haven't contacted Tyrolsport yet, since it's 8:30 pm. I'll call them tomorrow. I have an '05 MCSC. Could they have changed the rear caliper for '05? Would you have kept it that way, or put the rubber back in?

Thumbs up to the guy that gave the harbor freight tip. I got that kit for $20, and it does make compressing the pistons really easy. Two thumbs up for scobib who wrote the pdf instructions. Tyrolsport doesn't send any, just a zip lock baggie of parts.

Thanks,
-Andy

Old 05-17-2005, 07:15 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Hi Andy, I'm the guy who mentioned the 20 buck deal; and I'm glad a few of us got in on it!

I included a thumbnail photo above... Does that look like what you have? It did appear odd to me as well at the time, but then I recall the terminology of a floating caliper, and I was more at ease...

Old 05-17-2005, 07:23 PM
etickt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tonyb
I included a thumbnail photo above... Does that look like what you have? It did appear odd to me as well at the time, but then I recall the terminology of a floating caliper, and I was more at ease...
Yes, that looks like mine, minus the cool shocks...

The fronts were a really tight fit, and with the rears so loose, I figured something was wrong. If the collar gets slammed hard, I was worried the snap ring could break. I was also worried about vibration. When you think about it though, the force would be on the collar side, not the snap ring side. I guess it couldn't come apart. I just think it shouldn't have any play.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:28 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Being that I installed a BBK in the front, I can't say, unfortunately. Send them an email, and feel free to include my photo above. Confirmation is always nice, and if we have something wrong, it would important to know. If you do so, please share...

Old 05-18-2005, 07:28 AM
etickt
2nd Gear
Called Tyrolsport

I called tyrolsport, and he said that end to end play should not be a problem, and that I would not get any bad vibrations. Or good vibrations for that matter... He said that tolerance on the mini brake casting is pretty high, and that they get some people that say the busings are too small for their rear calipers.

In any case, he seemed to be pretty confident that it was ok, and told me to call if I had the slightest issue or question with the fit. I got the impression that they are the kind of company that will go out of their way to support a customer.

I agree that there's no way the busing could come out with the caliper assembled, and the force on the collar should be on the sholder side, not the snap ring side, so I guess I'll put them back in. Not this weekend though...

-Andy

Old 05-18-2005, 07:47 AM
minimc
5th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
Prior to a track event at Pocono, I got a pair of Brake Caliper Stiffening Kits from Tyrolsport:

http://www.tyrolsport.com/Products.htm

It turns out the MINI has rubber bushings around the caliper guide pins both front and rear (VW/Audi tend to only have rubber bushings in the front). So, the MINI takes two sets, while VW/Audi use one.

The idea behind this mod is pretty simple - by replacing the rubber bushings with bronze ones, flex is reduced, allowing the pads to remain parallel to the rotors instead of flexing due to varying loads. The net result is improved pedal feel with more predictable stopping force for a given pedal movement.

I ran ~100 laps at Pocono with my Ferodo DS-2500's on stock rotors. On each lap, I braked hard from 110 mph down to ~70 mph coming off the banking, and each time the feel was solid and sure without a hint of fade.

There is lots of test data on the Tyrolsport site and I am very happy with the product.

BTW, I brought new brake fluid with me to the track, in anticipation of needing to bleed it, but since fade didn't present itself, I didn't do any bleeding or fluid change. Unlike stainless brake lines, the "stiffies" were installed without removing or adding any fluid.
Andy,

Did you notice any difference in the I/D of bushing bores between calipers (front vs rear or other)? etickt noticed endplay, and I believe one of mine has an oversized bore. 3 went in fine - no slop. One feels loose in the bore.

Anyone else done this mod? Experiences...? If slop then which wheel(s)?

TIA

Old 05-18-2005, 12:01 PM
sanddan
4th Gear
I had to grind material off the calipers to get the bushing to fit deep enough to get the snap ring on. One of the four busings was a little loose. These have been on for 2 months and one track day without any problems or noise.

If the rubber can live, the bronze should have no problems with breaking. The peddle feel is better, firmer than before. With the ATE Blue fluid and Fedoro 2500 pads I had no sign's of fade during the five 20 min track sessions. Cheaper than going to a BBK even if lower on the bling scale.:smile:

Dan

Old 05-18-2005, 12:22 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by minimc
Andy,

Did you notice any difference in the I/D of bushing bores between calipers (front vs rear or other)? etickt noticed endplay, and I believe one of mine has an oversized bore. 3 went in fine - no slop. One feels loose in the bore.

Anyone else done this mod? Experiences...? If slop then which wheel(s)?

TIA
Mine definitely fit snugly in the bores both front and rear and I didn't notice any excess endplay. If one of yours doesn't fit snugly in the rear, I would remove it and put the rubber bushings back in.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:36 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Yup 1/8" is far too much slop for braking system hardware.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:34 AM
aokdoug
3rd Gear
did the mod sunday. fantastic up-date

Old 06-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Please post your comments in the Reviews section!

Hi all,
I posted this mod in the review area a while ago. For those of us with this on our car, how about adding some comments here.

Just a suggestion!

Matt

Old 06-22-2005, 06:42 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
What do they mean "but sold per axle"?
Originally Posted by SumWon
Another source?

Tuner Motorsports: $59.95 for front and back.

That's $60.00 less than Tyrol Sport!

Old 06-22-2005, 11:35 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They mean that you need one kit to do the front axle (end) and another to do the rear. Probably a carryover statement from solid axle days.

Originally Posted by MSFITOY
What do they mean "but sold per axle"?

Old 06-22-2005, 06:08 PM
paddy
3rd Gear
OK, so what is the performance/braking difference between braided stainless steel lines and Brake Caliper Stiffening Kits. Both of these kits can be obtained for approx. $120. I understand that when the brake lines are installed, the brake fluid should be flushed/replaced and that with the stiffening kit you don't need to mess with the brake fluid.

Which is better bang for the buck ? ? ? ?

Old 06-22-2005, 06:49 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Hi paddy! First, I did both at the same time, in the rear only, so I can't tell you which one is "better" per se. Since both are relatively cheap mods, and in the same area, that is why I did them together...

The installation of these stiffer bushes does not mandate a brake bleed of the fluid. However, if one chooses to replace lines, because the system is being opened, and exposed to air, bleeding is most certainly in order...

Quick Reply: Inexpensive, Simple Brake Feel Mod