Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

just had H sport springs installed along with my Alta rear sway...I am riding on Toyo

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 08:41 PM
stubbsy
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just had H sport springs installed along with my Alta rear sway...I am riding on Toyo

I am riding on 215/45/17 Toyo T1S's wrapped around Flik Wasp rims +42 offset. The issue I am having now is when I get on it from a dead stop it feels like I am losing grip and my launch isn't as solid and crisp, almost like the tires are spinning some if that makes sense. The toyos have a really soft sidewall which makes for a softer ride. Honestly, since installing the H Sport springs the ride is smoother over small divids in the road and rougher, but bearable, over BIG bumps, pretty much actually like others have explained in many other posts. The squat and dive feeling is gone which is great!! I am also wondering if an alignment may help as well, though on the highway at high speeds she rides like a dream. Cornering at low speeds feels kind of unsettling unless I have somebody in the passenger seat. Weird.

Because I am riding on 215/45 tires with an extremely soft sidewall at low speeds the steering doesn't feel as stout as I think it would feel if I was riding on 205/45 or 215/40 tires. Am I right by making that assumption? I was really comtemplating getting a set of Yoko ES100 in 215/40 but am I going to lose the nice softer ride, especially on the highway at high speeds?

Any help or advise would be appreciated. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by getting replacement tires that make my ride worse.

Thanks,

Brian

Old 08-04-2004, 09:15 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is that the 2way adjustable Alta swaybar? If so, put it on the firmer setting
as it balances much better with the H-sports. H-sports soften the initial
turn-in due to its progressive rate springs.

The initial turnin can further be improved by the 215/40/17's. But if you
want really snappy turn-in, you might want to look into the S03's.
GS-D3's aren't bad either.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:28 PM
stubbsy
Neutral
kenchan, Thanks for the reply. Yes, the 2 way adjustable sway. I currently have it on the firmer setting. I forgot to mention that I had Eric at Helix install a pulley & RDR intake as well which made the torque of my MCS feel perfect and helped so much with launch that I am missing that aweseme "pull" now with the H Sports and 215/45 toyos

Old 08-05-2004, 07:09 AM
ubercooper
3rd Gear
check the DSC light