Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Anyone put Wheel Flashers on the Tire Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 02:36 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got some Wheel Flashers for my MINI. If you don't know what they, they are bright LED tire valve caps which have a sensor at night (to save the button batteries during the day) to create a ring of light as you are motoring around town. They are really neat and I gotten a lot of compliments. And it's another safety feature at night. You can get one big LED in various colors or one with 3 smaller LEDs with multiple colors.

I have a question though (I guess I should of asked first?) Does anyone know if these can unbalance the tires since they are kinda large but are plastic and not too heavy. I haven't noticed any vibration and I will continue to use them anyway. But I think this question is important for people considering them.

Old 11-09-2002, 02:40 PM
2minis
6th Gear
They probably do but I doubt if it is by a significant amount.
Any weight, on any part of the wheel, will affect balance but
like I said not enough difference to be noticeable or affect
anything.

Old 11-09-2002, 02:41 PM
rygold
5th Gear
I dunno - but I think valve stem LED flashers is somewhat pushing the MINI envelope. Maybe I shouldn't talk though, I'm planning on sticking rally numbers on my doors, and not for any immediate rally either - just for street driving. I guess us MINIacs will do anything to personalize our cars.

Got ATTITUDE? Get http://ShitDisturber.com. THE email with Attitude!

Old 11-13-2002, 05:57 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No offense intended, as I believe that everyone has the right to customize their car as they see fit and my opinion is only my own, but I do think that the MINI is simply does not need cheap flashing lights to attract attention.

These kinds of things are the sort of cheap worthless crap that some people put on their cars when they are not in a position to own the car of their dreams. Putting stuff like this on a MINI is kind of like wearing a clown's oversized rainbow polka-dot bowtie with an otherwise classic, elegant, and refined tuxedo. It will get noticed by everyone, but ask yourself if that is the kind of attention you need as a driver of a vehicle that is already the hottest thing on the planet.

As far as them being a safety feature, I would think that an unusual ring of glowing flashing lights would be more likely to distract other drivers and cause them to hit you than provide any benefit of additional safety lighting. If they really did make the car safer, you would probably find them standard on all Volvos. . . .

Rally numbers on the other hand would be a fitting homage to the rally racing heritage that made the MINI so famous in the first place. I have had sets of removeable numbers made for autocrossing my GTI. and I had a sign shop make them with the magnetic sign material that sticks to the bodywork so I could have a race car one day and a stock looking sleeper the next.

If all else fails, read my signature quotation below this paragraph, and then ask me about the fake cell phone antenna that I thought made my car look really cool when I was in highschool in the late 80's. I might have it along with some of those chrome double windshield wipers for anyone looking to set their MINI apart from the crowd. . .

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement."

Old 08-03-2005, 10:25 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
These kinds of things are the sort of cheap worthless crap that some people put on their cars when they are not in a position to own the car of their dreams. Putting stuff like this on a MINI is kind of like wearing a clown's oversized rainbow polka-dot bowtie with an otherwise classic, elegant, and refined tuxedo. It will get noticed by everyone, but ask yourself if that is the kind of attention you need as a driver of a vehicle that is already the hottest thing on the planet.
Wow, that seems a little snobby. Sure, not everyone wants flashing lights on their MINI, but maybe thats the point. Takes every kind, to each their own. I personally would rather have the tire blinker things than stickers all over my car, but thats my own opinion and I wouldnt act holier than thou about it, especially in regards to a tire balance question. Everyone has their own style so maybe some people should chill out and let it be, and stop trying to be the Classic Mini Styling Police. Its comments like that that make me want to rice out my car completely. Grrr.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:37 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
No offense intended, as I believe that everyone has the right to customize their car as they see fit and my opinion is only my own, but...
Hey, did you read this part, too? BTW, I do not like flashing lights on my car, either.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:55 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
What's wrong with flashing lights:smile:

Old 08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Nice pic MSFITOY!

I certainly do love lighting mods as long as they point forward or backwards!

Funny to see a thread from November 2002 (2 weeks before I took delivery of my MINI) rise out of the graveyard to remind me what a little punk I can be!

Guess I haven't changed much though, since I still don't think dimestore wheel flashers are cool, but I still think everyone has the right to do whatever the heck they want with their car!

jeffroestobar, sorry if my comments from almost 3 years ago upset you today. Enjoy your MINI any way you see fit and I'll be happy

Old 08-03-2005, 01:49 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You got me there...

So where's your neon winshield washer lights?

Old 08-03-2005, 02:35 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
1.) Yes, you're entitled to your opinion. Of that, there is NO DOUBT

2.) It probably won't do any permanent balancing damage to your car by having these on

3.) (here comes my personal opinion)... Any item sold in the first aisle or 4-way display at AutoZone does NOT belong on a MINI. Yes, that is a snobby attitude, but those items are almost always seen on real beater cars--usually Honda Civics from 10 to 15 years in age. I have no problem with Honda Civics, either, but I'm talking about the ones with 150k miles, and rusted all to hell, seats torn, paint faded, antenna broken, rear deck rattling loose because the bazooka tube has loosened the fasteners, etc. This is the kind of car that has the triple gold wiper blades, the neon shift **** and the LED tire lights.

On that kind of car, it is okay, if not almost expected.

Again, yes, I admit, I'm a snob, but mostly because all MINI's are new, and presumeably in good condition, (i.e. NOT BEATER CARS).

I like the analogy in an earlier post, it's like a conductor of the Boston Pops wearing the rainbow frizzy wig you see on the guy a the football games who holds the John 3:16 sign...

It just doesn't fit.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:09 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
That flashing valve light in IL will guarentee you get pulled over.

Put it on your bicycle for added safety at night. :smile:

Old 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL - We put those on my old boss's car. He didn't notice for like a month.
(placed only on passenger side!)

Alex

Old 08-03-2005, 04:55 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
LOL - We put those on my old boss's car. He didn't notice for like a month.
(placed only on passenger side!)

Alex
I'm sure it produced some giggles from those "in the know" watching the light show at night. It would be neat on a police cruiser or motor bike cop.

I've seen the lights at Walmart and "wondered"-- what if?
But I have not seen them actually on ANY car out on the road.
Wonder why not? Maybe I don't get out enough.

The lights are fairly light that when installed and when driving at normal street speeds they are OK.

However, on the track or in any performance driving situation you have to remove everything that can easily come off which includes plastic hubcaps and valve lights.

Nothing keeps kids from stealing the lights once you park at the mall. Of course at night they can spot you from far off and zero in on your location.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:17 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
I am almost positive their illegal like the neon lights that ricers put under their cars. I think their pretty cool though, sorry Yucca .

Old 08-04-2005, 11:49 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Thats funny, I didnt notice I was on a 2002 thread, didnt mean to click there. Always nice to raise a ruckus though. Sorry Yucca, no hard feelings, I am a punk too. I just hate conformity and like to see as much diversity as possible, even if it is a little off. I have always thought that bad ideas and bad taste were actually great ideas, especially if they make me laugh. I am still waiting to see a Mini driving down the street with one of those giant metal airplane looking spoilers. That would really make me smile. I kind of wish I had second Mini that I could deck out in spinning rims and neon lights, just for kicks. You guys would probably kick me though.