Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Help me with my honda, please

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 12:00 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me with my honda, please

I have a 03 Accord and there is a pulse when I break hard at higghway speeds. I was just told that there was a service buliten on this issus but since I have 35,000 miles on the car they wont do anything about it. The dealer wants $190 for the fronts and $150 for the rears (I get 10% off of that price cuz I bought the car there). But this seems too be way too much money. I have also heard that the new accords roters warp which causes the issue.

I need new breaks all around to fix the issue. I also either need to grind the roters or replace them. Here is the dilema

1. What pads should I use.
2. Should I rework or replace the roters?
3. If I replace them should I get slotted and vented to advoid the issue.

Keep in mind that when my mini gets here (about a week away from delivery) my wife will get this car and she drives like a creampuff. So dont think of this as a race or mod car its just a wife goes to work car and take the kid to the park car. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanx!

Old 08-11-2004, 12:03 PM
scobib
5th Gear
I would try getting the rotors turned first, and then reassemble and see if the problem exists...

If it does, just go with a high quality OEM replacement that you should be able to get from most any autoparts store...

IMHO, if your wife's gonna drive it, there's no need to replace the rotors with slotted or slap in any high performance pads, but that's JMHO. If you do decide to replace the pads, some Performance Friction Carbon Metallic would be good enough...

Old 08-11-2004, 12:05 PM
scobib
5th Gear
Forgot to mention - can you tell what wheel the vibration is coming from?

My sister had a 2001 Acura CL, and the calipers on the front weren't clearanced enough from the factory so that the pads always dragged even when the pedal wasn't depressed - after a few months of driving, the rotors did warp from the extra heat (visible runout when turned). Acura replaced the front rotors under a Technical Service Bulletin. They should ALWAYS do the TSB work, regardless of whether or not it's in or out of warranty... Call someone's manager...

Old 08-11-2004, 12:19 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tough Call Ninjamini,

Were it not for "She who must be obeyed" I'd say go to Autozone or the local shop and either get new rotors and pads or get the rotors turned. However the Mrs. Ninja factor throws the proverbial body slam into the mix.

It is a well known and documented fact that the average Joe would rather do a complete rebuild on his own car rather than change the oil on his wife's car. Why? The eff-up factor. If her car ever has any problem, be it a flat tire or a leaky radiator, you will be blamed. It was the oil change (or whatever else you might have done, even 50,000 miles before) that caused the problem. Therefore, I recommend that you take the Honda to the dealer and pay whatever it takes, to maintain maritial bliss.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:51 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MGCMAN
Tough Call Ninjamini,

Were it not for "She who must be obeyed" I'd say go to Autozone or the local shop and either get new rotors and pads or get the rotors turned. However the Mrs. Ninja factor throws the proverbial body slam into the mix.

It is a well known and documented fact that the average Joe would rather do a complete rebuild on his own car rather than change the oil on his wife's car. Why? The eff-up factor. If her car ever has any problem, be it a flat tire or a leaky radiator, you will be blamed. It was the oil change (or whatever else you might have done, even 50,000 miles before) that caused the problem. Therefore, I recommend that you take the Honda to the dealer and pay whatever it takes, to maintain maritial bliss.
I dont think that she will complain about the Accord for years to come. Right now she drives a car she bought in college, 1992. It has 200,000+ miles on it with no air (were in S. Fla) and it overheats in traffic. Its all uphill for her with the honda.

Old 08-11-2004, 12:54 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some nice oem replacement rotors are nice to have... if it's pads then check out mintex red-box, which are oem replacements and are nice and inexpensive too

the pulse could be just the abs kicking in.. you might want her to try driving it and see if she can replicate the problem... if she can't then chances are she won't ever

Old 08-11-2004, 03:31 PM
ubercooper
3rd Gear
raceshopper.com

Best prices I can find. If you are going to do it yourself....

Old 08-12-2004, 06:41 AM
apexer
6th Gear
I thought warranty on 03 Accord was 3 years 36,000 miles

Old 08-12-2004, 09:18 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got the same issue on my commuter...it's a Inf. G20. soft pulsation through
brake pedal during braking.

I think the rotor got warped from the dealer tightening one of the lugs
too far during my last maintenance check...but too lazy to take her in
just for that. I have an oil change coming up in 200miles, so will get her
looked at.

The pulsing on my car lessened as time passed by. If I was going to let
my wife use it and if there was no warranty on the car (and since the
brakes are working ok to stop the car), I would just leave it be. The
only reason Im going to take her in to get the brakes checked is
because I have warranty left and I seriously think it was dealer's
mishandling that caused this. There is also a TSB on the G20s for
pulsing brake pedal sensation. It *could* be the pads in my case.

If my dealer denys warranty repair, Im just going to use it as is
until the pads are worn out and then just get the rotors turned and
pads replaced at Midas or somewhere cheap. ($450 vs $650 at dealer)
- or - sell the car entirely since I am planning to get another commuter
soon anyway...

Old 08-13-2004, 07:41 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
warrantee is 3/36k but only 12k on brakes.

Its not ABS the wheel jerks back and forth vilently on heavy brakeing at hwy speed.

Old 08-13-2004, 10:02 AM
FWD-MX5
4th Gear
Is it the dealer telling you that they will not do anything or Honda? If you have not talked to a Honda rep, give them a call at 800.999.1009. It is known as a goodwill warranty claim, and they should cover it. They know about the problem and want you to buy another Honda. BTW isn't the warranty 36k?
Chris