Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

15" vs. 16" wheels for Snows on MCS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 07:00 AM
docpw
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15" vs. 16" wheels for Snows on MCS?

I'm trying to plan early for the Vermont winter. My new MCS will have 17 inch rims with all season runflats, but I'm planning to get some e-bay wheels for winter tires for the snow season.

Would there be any difference in snow performance or fit between 15 inch and 16 inch wheels? And would 15 inch wheels fit MCS anyway?

Thanks, Peter

Old 08-16-2004, 07:15 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Many MCS owners do choose 15" wheels for snow. The added clearance in the wheel wells for snow and ice is helpful and the cost/weight is less for smaller tires and rims.

15" wheels will work fine on MC or MCS alike if you get the right sized rims, 4x100 with offset of +37mm to +48mm using a stock suspension.

Talk to alex@tirerack.com to see what they have to offer.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:19 AM
docpw
1st Gear
Thanks for the quick response, Minihune.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I use Pirelli Winter 240 in 205/45-17 in wintertime. They're better than all-seasons, and the MINI still looks cool with 17"s

(there goes minihune's 15" theory )

Old 08-16-2004, 10:34 AM
docpw
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
the MINI still looks cool with 17"s
True, but my wallet would probably be happier with cheaper rims!

Originally Posted by Ryephile
(there goes minihune's 15" theory )
I knew there wouldn't be *one* answer from this board.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:36 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by minihune
Many MCS owners do choose 15" wheels for snow. The added clearance in the wheel wells for snow and ice is helpful and the cost/weight is less for smaller tires and rims.

15" wheels will work fine on MC or MCS alike if you get the right sized rims, 4x100 with offset of +37mm to +48mm using a stock suspension.

Talk to alex@tirerack.com to see what they have to offer.
Narrower section widths also cut thru deep snow better.

Alex

Old 08-17-2004, 04:17 AM
Aqualung
4th Gear

Can you explain offset in more detail? What's the difference between the ranges that you list? Are there any tradeoffs?

And, to Alex's later comment, I've heard that the narrower tire works better...but is there a handling tradeoff in dry winter weather? E.g. less rubber on the road, etc?

TIA

Old 08-17-2004, 07:17 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Aqualung
Can you explain offset in more detail? What's the difference between the ranges that you list? Are there any tradeoffs?

And, to Alex's later comment, I've heard that the narrower tire works better...but is there a handling tradeoff in dry winter weather? E.g. less rubber on the road, etc?

TIA
, Yes dry road later grip is given up when you decrease section width. Ususally you buy for the focus conditions. Check out an H rated snow tires for better dry road handleing.

Alex

Old 08-17-2004, 08:58 PM
minihune
Aqualung,

" The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. "

The MINI has positive wheel offset commonly found on front wheel drive cars. The more positive the number the more the outer edge of the rim extends to the outer side of the car.

If the wheel is in the correct offset range to fit the MINI then there should be no rubbing of the tire to suspension components or to the inner wheel well. If there is rubbing then you can cut away the plastic inner wheel well so that the tire does not rub.

See
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/wheels/tech/offset.htm

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 08-18-2004 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added tracking inforation, giving NAM more click thru credit!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:19 PM
lotsie
Banned
I have spent so much time looking for winter snows on steel rims up here that I have given up.The tires are not a problem but rims are hard to come by.
Most of the responces I get when I say MINI Cooper is,what kind of mini van?
So I'm going to get some from my dealer,same kind of money,and I know they will fit.
No I'm not going to order them from e-bay or a U.S. tire dealer, because after exchange and shipping I'm looking at the same money,and warranty would be a pain to deal with.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:00 AM
Aqualung
4th Gear
Aqualung,

" The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. "

The MINI has positive wheel offset commonly found on front wheel drive cars. The more positive the number the more the outer edge of the rim extends to the outer side of the car.

If the wheel is in the correct offset range to fit the MINI then there should be no rubbing of the tire to suspension components or to the inner wheel well. If there is rubbing then you can cut away the plastic inner wheel well so that the tire does not rub.

See
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/wheels/tech/offset.htm
Thanks Minihune, so am I reading the material correctly that the offset difference that you choose is more a factor of your suspension, e.g. that you'd get the largest you can get w/out rubbing against your car? And not for any performance reasons, etc?

Do you know what the max is for an MCS with stock suspension?

TIA

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 08-18-2004 at 09:55 AM. Reason: added tracking inforation, giving NAM more click thru credit!
Old 08-18-2004, 05:25 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...I've heard that the narrower tire works better...but is there a handling tradeoff in dry winter weather? E.g. less rubber on the road, etc? TIA
Yes. But remember snow tires are good for driving in ONE condition...SNOW! Don't expect great handling from them in the dry. Most suck. :smile:

Old 08-18-2004, 10:00 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Max meaning higest #, or futhest sticking out? are you willing to modify your fenderlip sections?

Alex

Old 08-18-2004, 10:11 AM
minihune
Thanks Minihune, so am I reading the material correctly that the offset difference that you choose is more a factor of your suspension, e.g. that you'd get the largest you can get w/out rubbing against your car? And not for any performance reasons, etc?

TIA
Aqualung,
For your MINI with stock suspension, when considering aftermarket wheels you can shop for those that offer wheel offsets of +37mm to about +50mm max range and it will work fine.

The problem comes from then over time deciding to go with a lowered suspension and then the wheels in the +37mm to about +42mm range may rub.

As long as the wheels fit in your wheel wells there is to great advantage of using more or less positive offset- it is more of a fitment issue.

Old 08-19-2004, 10:17 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
15 inch wheels with snows...

I have the MINI 15 inch holey wheels to use in winter. I got them free with my car because it came with a set of 17 inch wheels. The holeys are pretty cool, actually, and usually cheap because alot of dealers have sets lying around. I would say you should be able to buy some for less than $50 per wheel with tires installed. The tires would be all season though, so not as good for lots of snow. The snowy ice we get here in DC is fine in the MINI and it chuggs along very nicely. If the snow gets really deep, I give up work for a day and just cross country ski to Starbucks with a laptop on my back... LOL.