Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

How bad are run-flat tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 03:42 PM
imaginemini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How bad are run-flat tires?

I'm close to ordering a Mini (probably not an S) but am trying to decide on options. Run-flats sounded great at first but the more I read here, the worse they sound -- bad ride and all. Maybe I'll just get the standard 15 inchers and save $600 to spend on something else. Everybody, give me your thoughts.....

Old 08-31-2004, 03:46 PM
flyingsluzer
2nd Gear
I've got the 16" 5-Spokes w/ the runflats. They are definitely a bit rough, and I'm really looking forward to getting some high performance rubber on my wheels; but they are not really that bad.

So, would say don't let the OEM tires disuade you from getting the wheels that you want. You can always change tires early if you really don't like them.

Old 08-31-2004, 03:53 PM
ski
2nd Gear
I have been trying to find a post to respond to mainly with my questions. The whole idea of flat tires does not appeal to me so I wait responses to your question.

I am seriously thinking of ordering the 2005 base mini. But I know the reliability has been as low as it can be in Consumer Reports while satisfaction is high as can be. I think the reliability was based on the 2001, 2002, 2003 models. So my question is: has reliablity gotten better in the 2004 model which is basically what the 2005 model still will be? I have been driving the Acura RSX and several Integras before that and have had no problems with them. I need a reliable car as I commute to work. I went through rotten reliablity early in my car experiences with several VW's and never want to go through that again. I often could not get to work or get home and AAA came close to dropping me because I had to be towed so many times. I finally got rid of my last VW after two years of total frustration with it. I look forward to your responses here. Thanks, ski

Old 08-31-2004, 04:04 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Consumer Report's reliability ratings are, in my opinion, absolutely no reason not to buy a MINI. My 03 has MC has been trouble free, albeit not driven much due to the number of cars I have, Acuras are very reliable cars and it is a fair probability that your MINI may have more problems than the Acuras did. The first time I saw a new MINI I knew I had to have one. Reliability wasn't even a consideration. I say buy a MINI if you want to drive the most fun car for the money available today. If reliability is your primary concern maybe you should stick with what you feel comfortable with.

R.E.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:18 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ski
I have been trying to find a post to respond to mainly with my questions. The whole idea of flat tires does not appeal to me so I wait responses to your question.

I am seriously thinking of ordering the 2005 base mini. But I know the reliability has been as low as it can be in Consumer Reports while satisfaction is high as can be. I think the reliability was based on the 2001, 2002, 2003 models. So my question is: has reliablity gotten better in the 2004 model which is basically what the 2005 model still will be? I have been driving the Acura RSX and several Integras before that and have had no problems with them. I need a reliable car as I commute to work. I went through rotten reliablity early in my car experiences with several VW's and never want to go through that again. I often could not get to work or get home and AAA came close to dropping me because I had to be towed so many times. I finally got rid of my last VW after two years of total frustration with it. I look forward to your responses here. Thanks, ski
We've had our S for two months and so far it's been troublefree.

Runflats...we have the 17's and it's a stiff ride but how much better would they be with regular tires? Probably some but I am heistant to give up them up at this time because of the spare tire situation.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:18 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ski

ski,

Aloha and welcome to NAM. The thread title is about runflat tires. Your question is a different one and deals with reliability of new MINIs compared to older ones. You need to start a new thread so that we can address the runflat question completely.

The short answer to your question is that since 2002 the MINI has improved and is better for 2005 as far as we know. It is the same car and never was that bad compared to other cars. Don't pay much attention to Consumer reports because the numbers are really small and limited to CR subscribers and not all MINI owners. Most of us are doing quite well and although we have a few issues they are not bad and fixable for the most part.

imaginemini,

Aloha and welcome to NAM.

The stock OEM wheels that are not runflats for the MC are fine but not performance.
The upgraded 16" runflats for the MC and the standard runflats for the MCS both 16" and 17" are a little rougher riding but will corner OK. Not great but good enough for most people. They do provide a measure of safety being runflats.

If you want max performance then non runflats would be better but don't wear as long.
The price of a runflat is quite high for that added safety of not needing to change a flat tire in the middle of traffic. Most people order the runflats and try to use them up so that they can buy non runflats that are less expensive. You can carry a fix a flat can or compact spare tire in the boot for the MCS and you already have a compact spare in the MC that comes stock.

Overall the runflats are OK. You want a really smooth ride? Stick to the non runflat option if you can.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:36 PM
lotsie
Banned
Hi imaginemini and ski,WELCOME:smile:
I have the 15 inch non run-flats.Up here in the great white north,not having a spare could be very,very bad,as in frozen
As for reliable,my MC has been great.Car starts even at -47,yeah -47F.I have 100 mile round trip commute to work,95% highway.Lots of back road[gravel] spirited driving,and many an afternoon driving it like a luge in the snow
Now it has not been without some problems,small stuff,but I've never been stranded.I seem to have a good dealer,so any problems are taken care of with no hassles.We pay more for a MINI up here,even with the exchange on the dollar,but I feel I have way more car than any echo or aveoAt 28k+ miles the car looks and feels like the day it rolled off the lot.Well ok the exhuast is a bit more throaty now,which I like,but this has been one great,fun car

Old 08-31-2004, 04:37 PM
ski
2nd Gear
How do I initiate a new post?

Thanks. I wanted to start a new thread but do not see how to do it. I only see how to respond to someone else's post. Obviously I am a new member here.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:55 PM
C4
Banned
Both of my MINIs have been rock solid reliable. The 2002 Cooper CVT has 25K miles and my '04 MCS is very close to 12K miles. The MCS has not seen the dealer's service dept for anything other than installing an Union Jack roof flag decal and the Aux Input jack, since taking delivery on October 3rd, 2003. The car is solid as a bank vault with ZERO rattles or squeaks.

There is no reason to think that a new '05 MINI is even more solid than previous model years.

I like the runflats in my MCS. I ordered it with 16" 55 Profile Dunlop SP5000 Runflats with the standard 16" V-spoke wheels. Couldn't be happier. The tires have been great, wearing perfectly and they provide an excellent balance between ride comfort and good handling dynamics.

The '02 Cooper CVT came with 15" standard Continental tires with the 8-spoke wheels. Great tires and they are still on the car after 25K miles. They will probably last another 5K-10K miles before needing replacement.

The 15" tires are much cheaper to replace/repair and are less heavy than the runflat counterparts. Compare $60 (average) per replacement Continental 15" tire versus $150 (Average) for Dunlop SP5000 16" runflat replacement tire.

My only caveat with the factory 15" tires in the Cooper is that they are on the skinny side (175 series). The 16" runflat options in the MC and MCS are 195 series so they have a wider footprint. The 17" runflat option in the MCS are 205 series tires (Widest from factory) but they are lowest profile @ 45. I don't recommend the 17" runflats because they are too heavy, ride rough and are prone to sustain heavy road damage from pothole encounters in the road.

Low profile tires in these cars are a BAD IDEA, PERIOD!

Stick to a smaller/higher profile/lighter tire. The MINI was designed to perform best with 15"-16" rubber. A lot of people love the look of the bigger, lower profile wheels in the MINI but there is a price for the better looks.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:56 PM
lotsie
Banned
Go to the forum page,at the top of the listed threads it says start new thread.

Old 08-31-2004, 04:56 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ski
Thanks. I wanted to start a new thread but do not see how to do it. I only see how to respond to someone else's post. Obviously I am a new member here.
Ski,

go to the top of this page and click the mini talk link. It will be after
north american mortoring > general interest > Mini Talk,

Click the mini talk link and you will see a new thread button near the top of the page.

Andy

Old 08-31-2004, 07:06 PM
MiniCooperJD
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by imaginemini
I'm close to ordering a Mini (probably not an S) but am trying to decide on options. Run-flats sounded great at first but the more I read here, the worse they sound -- bad ride and all. Maybe I'll just get the standard 15 inchers and save $600 to spend on something else. Everybody, give me your thoughts.....
I have the runflats on my '04 MC... and my friend has an '04 MC on standard tires (15") his car RIDES better... mine handles better (with sport-package).