Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

steering wheel off center when driving straight

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Tommy Kardinal
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering wheel off center when driving straight

For reference: '13 Cooper non-S

So I've found that this is a fairly typical problem, but my steering wheel is off-center when I drive straight, no pulling to the side or anything. I'm not sure when I noticed it, I got new tires/alignment in March, but I was still in college so I didn't have my car with me. After I graduated in the summer I started driving, and I didn't notice it until a few weeks later. But I don't think anything got out of alignment, I just think it was never centered to begin with (as this is a common issue after getting an alignment) instead of it being knocked out of place, since it drives straight when I take my hands off. I just wanna know what my options are, because its kinda driving me crazy.

Will doing a 2-wheel alignment at a local chain garage be a reasonable way to fix this? I read that sometimes this can be caused by the rear wheels actually being out of alignment, but I'd rather save the money if I can. I'd like to avoid going to the MINI dealer because again, want to save money (I doubt this is something that would be covered, especially since the alignment was months ago) and my closest dealer is 45 minutes away, but I also don't want to get a shotty job. I saw a bunch of DIY stuff on the internet, but idk how confident I am in my wrenching abilities.

Just looking for some advice, what would you guys do?

Old 08-03-2016, 02:11 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Definitely sounds like front end alignment was set with the steering wheel off center. Go get an alignment at a shop with a guarantee. That should solve it.

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:33 PM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
If the toe-in is correct, it's a matter of shortening one tie-rod and lengthening
the other by the same amount if the steering wheel is a little off-center.
If it's a lot off center, then either something's bent or the steering wheel
needs to be moved a spline or so to center it.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:46 PM
sherman89
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Kardinal
For reference: '13 Cooper non-S

So I've found that this is a fairly typical problem, but my steering wheel is off-center when I drive straight, no pulling to the side or anything. I'm not sure when I noticed it, I got new tires/alignment in March, but I was still in college so I didn't have my car with me. After I graduated in the summer I started driving, and I didn't notice it until a few weeks later. But I don't think anything got out of alignment, I just think it was never centered to begin with (as this is a common issue after getting an alignment) instead of it being knocked out of place, since it drives straight when I take my hands off. I just wanna know what my options are, because its kinda driving me crazy.

Will doing a 2-wheel alignment at a local chain garage be a reasonable way to fix this? I read that sometimes this can be caused by the rear wheels actually being out of alignment, but I'd rather save the money if I can. I'd like to avoid going to the MINI dealer because again, want to save money (I doubt this is something that would be covered, especially since the alignment was months ago) and my closest dealer is 45 minutes away, but I also don't want to get a shotty job. I saw a bunch of DIY stuff on the internet, but idk how confident I am in my wrenching abilities.

Just looking for some advice, what would you guys do?

Are you compensating for there crown in the road?

Old 08-06-2016, 07:47 AM
ashchuckton
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The FIRST thing to do is make sure your tire pressure is the same left to right. A low front tire will cause what you are experiencing. How is the wear on the tires? Even on both sides of the car? Always check the easy stuff first. If that is not it proceed to plan B, alignment.