Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Ditching run flat tires - why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 07:52 PM
MCS4FUN
6th Gear
Received 505 Likes on 353 Posts
My little story - grab some ...

Bought my (sig) MCS almost 3 months ago as CPO MINI turned-in after 3-year lease with 17.7k miles. At that time, I figured the OEM Conti runflats had recently been replaced due to remaining tread and low wear. As stated here 10 days ago, I planned on replacing them with non-runflats - possibly in combo with more visually interesting wheels than 17" silver Conicals. At the rate I'll accrue annual miles, it would take quite awhile to wear out those runflats.

OK so last weekend, spotted a Phoenix area CL ad 75 miles away for set of GY Eagle Sport AS non-runflats "removed with less than 11k miles before returning leased vehicle". So I wrote asking about car those tires came from. Yep, very same car. I got those tires today for not much $$ and plan to have them installed tomorrow. My objective is for reduced NVH vs increased handling response. There are probably better choices out there than what I bought but "price of admission" for me to compare runflats to non-runflats is low. BTW, I decided to scrub purchase of new wheels since 17" JCW style would cost prox $1200 set plus sensors/valves if I didn't transfer from existing Conical wheels. I'm gonna hit the "easy button".

Old 08-17-2016, 04:37 AM
kskpsu
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
no, they are terrible there's a night and day difference in handling when you ditch them for sticky tires
This is very true. The thing that hasn't been reiterated enough like the lousy ride quality or noise is the incremental weight is in the worst place on the car...at the corners and unsprung. Even if a spare is heavier, it would not affect handling as much given it's location. Perhaps not as drastic on Mini tire sizes, but the 21" Pilot Super Sport summer tires on our X5 are 10lbs lighter each than their 20" Runflat equivalents that I now run in the winter (runflat as well, only option). That is massive to say the least and felt instantaneously when converting over one way or another.

Runflats don't assure you anything when it comes to road hazards...ditch them, save your money, and enjoy your improved Mini.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:21 AM
Rastoff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kskpsu
... incremental weight is in the worst place on the car...at the corners and unsprung.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. More weight, low and at the corners should help handling. Weight high is detrimental to body roll and overall handling. Maybe I've missed your meaning though.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:29 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll second the issue with finding a tire shop that will deal with runflats.

My options are limited when it comes to tire shops here, even my mechanic, who is one of two guys certified to work on MINIs in town, doesn't have the "proper equipment" for dealing with runflat tires. As best I can tell, no one does. There's always a risk when they take the tire off of the wheel that the bands inside it could break, or so I was told at one tire shop. They asked me to sign a waiver releasing them from liability before they would even touch my RF tires.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:33 AM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rastoff
I'm not sure what you mean by this. More weight, low and at the corners should help handling. Weight high is detrimental to body roll and overall handling. Maybe I've missed your meaning though.
Unsrprung weight is the weight that is associated with the wheels and tires that is not covered by the suspension, hence unsprung. When RACING you want the least amount of unsprung weight as possible and that is why folks will spend a ton of money on really lightweight wheels that are still strong.

I race my car in AX. Yes my non RF's are needed for that. One they are lighter and two I put on wider tires that are needed. For DD that unsprung weight is not noticeable. I also disagree with most on here that my RF's are actually a BETTER ride than my track tires. Having said that most wouldn't buy what I use for the track as there DD tires so there may be other options for a non RF that are better for DDing. I can speak with intelligence and experience, when comparing MY run flats to MY non runflats the ride is far better with the RF's and the handling around town or even in the canyons is just fine and the Mini experience is not hampered. When my RF's go bald, I will be buying the exact same set.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:38 AM
kskpsu
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Rastoff
Agree with your comment around center of gravity and reducing weight at the high point. That's why there is some passion for carbon fiber roofs or just no sunroof on performance oriented cars with all things held equal (e.g. BMW M3)

Weight at the corners is not a good thing. Unsprung weight negatively affects handling. In fact, wheel/tire weight is the worst (relative to rotors/calipers, for instance) as it is rotating mass vs. fixed...so it can hinder acceleration/deceleration. Do you feel it on a Mini? Not sure, and I have no personal experience. On my X5, with the significant weight difference between the two tires, absolutely. Especially since my 21 Super Sports are wrapped are lighter, forged alloy wheels vs. the heavier, cast alloy on the 20s.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:41 AM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RandomGemini

My options are limited when it comes to tire shops here, even my mechanic, who is one of two guys certified to work on MINIs in town, doesn't have the "proper equipment" for dealing with runflat tires. As best I can tell, no one does. There's always a risk when they take the tire off of the wheel that the bands inside it could break, or so I was told at one tire shop. They asked me to sign a waiver releasing them from liability before they would even touch my RF tires.
That is weird. Never had this issue or even heard of such a thing.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:48 AM
kskpsu
1st Gear
Originally Posted by goin2drt
Having said that most wouldn't buy what I use for the track as there DD tires so there may be other options for a non RF that are better for DDing. I can speak with intelligence and experience, when comparing MY run flats to MY non runflats the ride is far better with the RF's and the handling around town or even in the canyons is just fine and the Mini experience is not hampered. When my RF's go bald, I will be buying the exact same set.
Won't dispute that increased unsprung weight can help ride quality...it allows better absorption of irregularities in the road. That said, I've found the runflats I've experienced to be jarring with their thicker sidewalls and not really something that enhances comfort. Not all tires are created equal, so I won't go out with a general comment that no RFT can be comfortable. Glad you found something that works for you.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:15 AM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kskpsu
Won't dispute that increased unsprung weight can help ride quality...it allows better absorption of irregularities in the road. That said, I've found the runflats I've experienced to be jarring with their thicker sidewalls and not really something that enhances comfort. Not all tires are created equal, so I won't go out with a general comment that no RFT can be comfortable. Glad you found something that works for you.
I am no expert and like mentioned I am only speaking from experience of my two tires.

Having said that you bring up a good point. I wonder if the extra weight of my DD set is offsetting the lighter non run flats. Meaning I think I beleive in what you said. The heavier RF's make the drive nicer than my lighter non RF because they are heavy and help absorb the bumps and cracks better. I guess I never thought of it that way.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:43 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Runflats have stiffer sidewalls to support the cars weight when the tire is deflated; some more, some less. Performance tires have stiffer sidewalls to minimize tire flex under extreme cornering forces; some more, some less. Neither is designed to provide the best possible ride. You can't judge a book by its cover or a tire just by its category.

And then there are all of those variables in suspension design and condition to mess up whatever too-simple conclusions one might be tempted to reach.

Old 08-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Minime1963
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RandomGemini

All great responses, but no one has mentioned what to do about how and where to add a spare tire if you ditch the RF's and go to conventional tires? Has anyone added a donut size somewhere in the boot?

Old 08-01-2019, 11:02 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
I haven't had a flat tire in more than twenty years. When I replaced my run flats with conventional tires, I didn't bother with a spare tire. Also, I have AAA road service.

The following users liked this post:
Warren2185 (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Minime1963
All great responses, but no one has mentioned what to do about how and where to add a spare tire if you ditch the RF's and go to conventional tires? Has anyone added a donut size somewhere in the boot?
Probably going to depend on what car you are talking about. I did this on a 2011 Countryman with the specialized adapter, MB compact spare, pump etc. When my son got a flat, he couldn't remember what I had told him about using it and he called for tow and the driver was clueless on how to use the set up. I cried and laughed at the same time.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:48 AM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by mini_wisconsin
On my 2008 MINI Cooper S, I had runflats and the biggest hassle was finding a shop that would deal with them. I usually ended right back at the MINI dealer when there was an issue. To summarize: runflats make a simple problem complicated.
Why would it be a hassle for a tire shop to deal with a run flat tire? The equipment used to remove or mount the tire is the same? What part was the hassle?

Old 08-01-2019, 12:35 PM
michaelo
3rd Gear
Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts
My 2019 Mini came with run flats and I have zero complaints. They handle the potholes in New Jersey just fine and they drive quiet as well. Each tire is $145 bucks.
My commute to work is 40 miles each way and I like knowing that if I get a flat, I can drive home with no problem. I bought a full size spare rim + tire tire for my long trips that I keep in the garage. When I am ready to take a long trip I just it in the back.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:46 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
resurrection of a thread from 2016 .....
but there are new/current points I suppose . . .

runflat issues have been in the top 5 topics since this site began (wanna discuss oil change interval recommendations? )

search and find MANY MANY discussion and opinions . . . if you want a donut, several vendors will sell you one. (https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...gen1-gen2.html) READ DETAILS before purchase!!!!!

p.s. runflats have bailed Mrs out of trouble on multiple occasions. She LOVES them. TRUE, she is not as much of a car enthusiast as some - but she DOES drive a R-59 roadster. Recently had to re-tire and when asked if she wanted r/f again I got the 'are you crazy' look. She's on the Bridgestones for about a month now ... we got over 32,000 out of the Conti's it came with.

}}} WRT to AAA comments ...... all they are gonna do for you is TOW unless they can do an onsite plug. This IS better than being stranded. I've waited two hours for a AAA tow. With r/f I drove to a comfortable waiting place

If the issue is plugable you can get out of there as fast with http://www.dynaplug.com/ and a pump versus 'slime' and not crud up the inside of the tire and TPMS sensor
(and would your Mrs or kids know how to deal with either ... plug ... slime ... pump ????????) {{{

Last edited by Capt_bj; 08-01-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:04 PM
dmath
6th Gear
Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts
In 41 years of driving, I’ve had two flat tires. Both were in a car with run flats, which was convenient. But given the infrequency of flats (knock wood), I prefer to drive a tire I enjoy more and take my chances.

The following users liked this post:
DneprDave (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 10:47 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Minime1963
There is doughnut spare that is an exact fit, but I don’t remember what brand/car it came from. It has been some time since I saw the thread where it was mentioned.

My Clubman has a tire well, but it is filled with a styrofoam insert that holds the lug wrench, tow eye, etc. Don’t know if it fit the 205/45-17 tire that my car has. Anyway, I’m on non-runflats and have a sealer/compressor kit.