Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Securing a spare in the boot of an mcs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Fidge
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Securing a spare in the boot of an mcs?

I know there have been many posts regarding the mcs and no spare etc., because I have read them. However, I have decided that if I order an mcs, I do not want runflats. I would like to get the donut spare and a cover for it from the baglady and secure it in the boot. Is it easy to secure in the boot so that it is not flopping all over while driving thru the twisties?Anyone have pictures of how they have secured their's? I know that with the rear seats upright, the rear shelf has to be removed. Has anyone experienced any problems having the spare in the boot, other than it taking up space. Thanks, for any responses. I have been going back and forth deciding between an mc or an mcs and the only thing stopping me from ordering the mcs is the fact that it does not have a spare. I know, I know, I have read the other posts but guess what? I really think I want the mcs but I'm still undecided. Please help!!

Old 09-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
That is what I plan to do: Ditch the runflats, get a can of fix-a-flat for around town, and a spare for long trips. Check out these cool tire covers that Jerseygirl is making. I am sure that the tire would be easy to secure with bungee cords after this is fitted. Maybe she can incorporate some straps? https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht=spare+cover

These are nice because they have a handle to make it easy to lug in and out of the boot/garage.

Old 09-14-2004, 05:43 AM
Phill
Neutral
fix-a-flat

I looked at a can of fix-a-flat at Wal-Mart the other day. The small print on the back of can infers that the product can (will) damage the pressure sensor. Another brand on the shelf along side - (forget name) doesn't have warning.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:22 AM
grnmene
1st Gear
Phill -

Mini's don't have pressure sensors... The flat tire monitor works by sensing the difference in rotation speeds between opposite tires. Don't worry about using fix-a-flat with non-runflats.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Galaxie500
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fidge
I know there have been many posts regarding the mcs and no spare etc., because I have read them. However, I have decided that if I order an mcs, I do not want runflats. I would like to get the donut spare and a cover for it from the baglady and secure it in the boot. Is it easy to secure in the boot so that it is not flopping all over while driving thru the twisties?Anyone have pictures of how they have secured their's? I know that with the rear seats upright, the rear shelf has to be removed. Has anyone experienced any problems having the spare in the boot, other than it taking up space. Thanks, for any responses. I have been going back and forth deciding between an mc or an mcs and the only thing stopping me from ordering the mcs is the fact that it does not have a spare. I know, I know, I have read the other posts but guess what? I really think I want the mcs but I'm still undecided. Please help!!
I have an MCS, dumped the run-flats (which is a must for improved ride) and got the spare tire. I haven't driven an MC (which I understand is a great, though different experience than the MCS), but the power, upgradeability and handling of the MCS are just amazing and I would NOT make the purchasing decision based on the spare tire issue.

The main issue with putting the spare in the rear is that it makes noise when it bumps against the rear hatch if the spare is not secured down. i haven't even tried to figure out how to secure it in the back yet. Since I rarely have passengers in the rear, my solution is to put the spare in the footwell behind the passenger seat, and then put the seat all the way back against it. It fits perfectly, doesn't bump around, is protected against flying forward and hitting the driver in the event of a collision, and has the added benefit of adding a little more weight to that side to balance out the weight on the driver's side.

Get the MCS!

Old 09-14-2004, 10:12 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Cover the spare and tie it down

If you do get a spare and put it in the boot you can make a tire cover with a loop(s) on it to fit a bungie cord. Use the cord to latch into the fasten rings behind the rear seats or to the boot floor-there are four rings. Then the tire will be clean and stay in place.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:47 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
I had the "bag lady" custom stitch me a spare cover with a hole in the middle. I then looped a rubber bungee cord through the center of teh wheel and hooked both ends to the metal tie down ring on the right floor. The only other thing I did was disconnect the parcel shelf lift cords because lifting the shelf when opening the boot causes it to bind against the top of the spare. This still left plenty of room behind and to the left of the boot for clean up equipments.