Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Carbotech brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:49 PM
spjonez
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbotech brake pads

Has anyone tried the Carbotech Xp8 brake pads? I searched on here and all the threads I found were a few years old.

Yesterday at the track after one of the last sessions I got out of my car to see smoke coming off my front left brake pad so I think it's time to upgrade

I'm fine with noise I only drive 2-3 days a week as I can walk to work. I'm looking for a good track day pad that's non corrosive and suitable for light street driving. I have OEM brakes (2009 Mini Cooper S) which I'll eventually upgrade but I want to replace the pads and brake fluid now.

Cheers!

Old 09-07-2016, 10:46 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Carbotech is one of my favorite brake pads to run for the track. I highly recommend them if you can afford them. If you're fine running that pad on the street then I'd definitely say give them a go. I've only ever run them on a true dedicated track car.

Just some other viable option would be HAWK HP+ http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item4. Noisy for street driving, but a good track pad. You can also look into the HPS option. The ceramic pad option, I'd say, is for someone wanting a performance street pad with low dust and noise.

What are you doing as far as brake fluid? Do you run into any issues with that on the track or is just pads? For fluid I'd highly recommend Ate Typ200 http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item7. I run this for a daily and track use. Does wonders and is fairly priced. I'd also probably recommend going for stainless steel lines http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item8. I run stainless steel lines, Typ200, bounce between different pads, and run front/rear slotted/vented R1 concepts rotors.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-09-2016, 03:25 PM
spjonez
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I replace the pads I'm getting new rotors (slotted), stainless steel brake lines, and ATE Amber brake fluid. Would you run Xp10's on the front and Xp8's on the rear or the same on both? Drivers at our track do both and I'm the only Mini. From what I've heard Carbotech is a better pad than Hawk's so I'm going with them.