Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Soft Brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 11:46 AM
toddfiebig
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soft Brake pedal

I just recently purchase an 03 base mini and I have questions about the brakes.

The pad wear light was one and I fixed that by replacing the rear pads and both sensors.

The pedal was soft when I got the car. after replacing the pads I did bleed the system thoroughly and the pedal felt better for a about a week then got soft again.

I did research online and found I should seat the pads but that did nothing. I read more and learned that you need to take it to a shop and have them hook it up to a computer to open up the ABS system for bleeding (is this for real?).

After 2 "professional" bleeds it felt good for about a week and now I am back to where I was with the soft pedal.

I am not losing fluid.

Is it possible I need a new master cylinder? I've never had one fail in this way before (and I've had many old cars of all types and bleed them all).

If I need a new cylinder, how do I determine if I have DSC or ASC or no stability control? It seems to matter when buying a master cylinder and the two large parts houses had no clue.

Thanks,

Todd
2003 Mini

Old 10-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Racingguy04
5th Gear
Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts
I don't know about the brake problem, but it should say ASC or DSC on the dash above the defeat switch. Or I think you can search your vin number and find out what it was built with.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:17 PM
toddfiebig
Neutral
defeat switch

I don't think I have either type of defeat switch. Both Pelican Parts and Mini Mania looked up my vin and where not able to tell me.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:25 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'd closely inspect your calipers and make sure they're in good working order and one isn't getting hung up. Does it look like your new brake pads are making a full and clean contact with the rotors? It's definitely just a spongy type feel or do you feel some sort of delay when you press the brake pedal and then it stiffens up?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (03-19-2021)
Old 10-07-2016, 09:59 AM
toddfiebig
Neutral
Soft Brake pedal

I would think that if one caliper wasn't cooperating the car would not brake in a straight line. Please let me know if this is not correct and I will pull each caliper and look for un-even wear.

I'd have a tough time confirming if it is a soft pedal or a delayed pedal as they both seem as though they would feel the same.

I suppose it could be delayed.

I don't mind replacing the master cylinder if it is the problem but the car only has 60K miles and everything looks so shiny new. Still, I could not get a straight answer on which cylinder to buy even after having the serial number checked.

It sure would be nice to sort this out as this is my daughter's car and she turns 16 in a few weeks.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:17 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Time can be just as detrimental on vehicle components as mileage. For example, dealerships will recommend 5k miles or 6 months for oil replacement. Most of what I've run across with a spongy brake pedal is air in the lines, but your situation seems a bit different as things seem to be fine and then have an issue. Are you certain there are no leaks coming from your in your system causing air to get into it? Sorry, I should have been more clear about he delay question. What I meant by delay is when you press the pedal it sinks down and then engages, but when you hit the pedal again (immediately after pressing it the first time) it feels stiff and there is no delay. As you drive a bit and then press the pedal again you get the delay again, but then press it a second time and it feels stiff/normal. If this is not what yours does, then I would rule out my thoughts of possible pad knockback.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Last edited by PelicanParts.com; 10-07-2016 at 10:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
930 Engineering (03-19-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 06:05 PM
Charlie McIntire
This is exactly my problem. Can you help m?