Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Oops, tire rubbing . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Hammer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oops, tire rubbing . . .

I swapped out my 17" S-Lites (for sale, by the way!!!) for some 17" Konigs. I put a set of Faulken Azenis 225/45/17 on. Per Tirerack and other sites it didn't appear to be a fitment issue. But now I've noticed they are rubbing. But not on the inside, on the top! It seems the tire is too tall!? There appears to be wheel well clearance, but the suspension must be softer than I thought and must be rubbing when I hit bumps. Anyone else have this tire set up? Any issues?

Old 09-26-2004, 03:33 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer
I swapped out my 17" S-Lites (for sale, by the way!!!) for some 17" Konigs. I put a set of Faulken Azenis 225/45/17 on. Per Tirerack and other sites it didn't appear to be a fitment issue. But now I've noticed they are rubbing. But not on the inside, on the top! It seems the tire is too tall!? There appears to be wheel well clearance, but the suspension must be softer than I thought and must be rubbing when I hit bumps. Anyone else have this tire set up? Any issues?
Sorry, whenever I talk to alex@tirerack and ask about 225/45-17 tires he tells me that I will need to do some wheel well trimming.

You have stock suspension or aftermarket suspension?
What wheel offset do you have?

For the MINI there are Falken Azenis Sport tires that will fit 15" and 16" rims but not for 17" without rubbing when I have looked.

Old 09-26-2004, 04:26 AM
Hammer
4th Gear
I was using the Tirerack website. I popped in Mini Cooper S, then the custom tire size. I assumed if there was a fitment issue that the website would start blarring some warning at me - you know, flashing lights, sirens, etc. When I ordered my Hoosiers in the same size and told them they would be going on a Mini they didn't mention a fitment issue. It doesn't seem to be rubbing too badly, so I guess I'll just live with it. If it becomes a safety issue I'll have to do something about it. I'm running the stock S Sport Package suspension.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Mini-///M
3rd Gear
Falken Azenis' run BIG. Those tires are more like 235/45's maybe even bigger.

Patrick

Old 10-02-2004, 10:18 AM
Hammer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-///M
Falken Azenis' run BIG. Those tires are more like 235/45's maybe even bigger.

Patrick
Ah. Here's a pic, it's not rubbing badly.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:22 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Rubbing? Two places to check for wear.

Sometimes the tire isn't showing quite so much rubbing as the wheel well.

For wear you can check the rear wheel well on the 10 o'clock position on the right rear and 2 o'clock position on the left rear. Mine is ground up with pieces of hard plastic worn off. Naturally these are the places to trim with a dremmel tool to eliminate the rubbing.

My tire was not worn much. Since then my solo II driving has helped to round off those square tire shoulders and I think that has helped. I never did get around to do the trimming.

Old 10-03-2004, 03:14 AM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
Ah. Here's a pic, it's not rubbing badly.
you call the rubbing bad. my god you should see my tires. i have grand canyon on the rear tires. dam 215/40/17 on a 17x9 but its worst it

chris

Old 10-03-2004, 03:08 PM
DancesWithCones
3rd Gear
I was using the Tirerack website. I popped in Mini Cooper S, then the custom tire size. I assumed if there was a fitment issue that the website would start blarring some warning at me - you know, flashing lights, sirens, etc. ...
For what it's worth, you will not see 225-anything in the "recommended" section of their website. When you went to the custom size entry, you left the recommendations. The TireRack assume you know what you're doing if you're clicking the drop-down list. As it stands, you got neither the tires nor the wheels from them. If you worked with Alex at TireRack, you would have been told that rubbing would be very likely. As it is, Tire Rack had nothing to do with your purchase so don't attribute your mistake with them.

Old 10-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Hammer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DancesWithCones
For what it's worth, you will not see 225-anything in the "recommended" section of their website. When you went to the custom size entry, you left the recommendations. The TireRack assume you know what you're doing if you're clicking the drop-down list. As it stands, you got neither the tires nor the wheels from them. If you worked with Alex at TireRack, you would have been told that rubbing would be very likely. As it is, Tire Rack had nothing to do with your purchase so don't attribute your mistake with them.
Whoa, lighten up a little. I didn't attribute anything to tirerack, and if you read my post the way it was written (flashing lights, sirens) you would clearly see I was speaking in jest. No big deal, I'm not bashing tirerack. Heck, the post is even entitled "Oops", thereby signifying my own mistake. Wow, I didn't mean to strike a nerve. Besides, 5 minutes with a dremel solved the problem.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:05 PM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
would you like to show how you did fix it? ..pictures?