Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

What Tire Pressure Gauge Do You Use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 12:41 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What Tire Pressure Gauge Do You Use?

Ok, I'll be the first to admit, checking my tire pressure is a chore. I've used a digital pressure gauge that I bought from JC Whitney over 10 years ago, and the built-in battery finally died, so I had to go buy a replacement for now. Seems most of the readily available ones are digital, but I'm willing to spend more for an analog one that doesn't leak.

My question is this:

Are there tire guages that just screw on the thread valve? Everytime I put on my gauge, it always leaks air, unless I get really lucky, and I need to "find" that perfect spot so it doesn't leak and gives me an accurate reading. The leaking part is what I find most annoying because all I want to do is check the tire pressure, but if lose air while doing it, I know I'm going to have to yank out my compressor to refill the air!

Old 09-26-2004, 12:48 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
For track and autocross this basic under $29 gauge with release valve should work fine.
http://www.soloracer.com/tiregauge2.html

Old 09-26-2004, 12:54 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks! But I'm not sure I understand this. It appears from the picture that the portion that attaches to the valve is just press on, not screw on. I know from experience, that once I press it on the valve, I can bleed the air by intentionally moving it slight off the valve---no need for a separate release valve.

Of course, my leaking problems could be a result of just using low quality gauges that need to be precisely mounted before taking a reading.

Unless I'm mistaken and it screws on the valve. Do you know? I appreciate the info.

Richard

Originally Posted by minihune
For track and autocross this basic under $29 gauge with release valve should work fine.
http://www.soloracer.com/tiregauge2.html

Old 09-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a couple different digital gauges, one from NAPA that has a short hose and a dual 'foot' used to check air on truck tires, a similar NAPA gauge without the hose and a single foot and a Victor that is self contained. Both of these just 'push on' to the stem, with little escaping air, and each one has resolution of .5 psi and are accurate. As a pressure gauge gets some age on it, the rubber o-ring in the foot wears down and does not seal well, needing to be jockeyed around on the stem to stop the hissy fit. A decent, name brand pressure gauge should not have any issues of escaping air when new. Some come with a replacement o-ring for when the original gets worn down.

You wouldnt want a screw-on tire pressure gauge, as the gauge will leak during the time it takes to screw it on or off. I know of no actual gauges which are like this, rather there are plenty of compressors and tire inflator/gauges by brands such as Milton that have a lock-on foot.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Greatbear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Thanks! But I'm not sure I understand this. It appears from the picture that the portion that attaches to the valve is just press on, not screw on. I know from experience, that once I press it on the valve, I can bleed the air by intentionally moving it slight off the valve---no need for a separate release valve.

Of course, my leaking problems could be a result of just using low quality gauges that need to be precisely mounted before taking a reading.

Unless I'm mistaken and it screws on the valve. Do you know? I appreciate the info.

Richard
A mechanical gauge will often come with a release valve that holds air in the guage when it is removed from the stem, so you dont have to try and read it at an awkward angle while on the stem. It's the same as a 'hold' button. The release valve can be used to let air out of a tire when held on as well. A digital gauge 'memorizes' the reading for a period of time after removing it from the valve stem, taking a new readin each time it is put on the tire.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:04 PM
OctaneGuy
Thanks! I just did some more reading on the Net, and I see there are push on or clip on types instead of screw on.

I guess I just want to buy one that I can stick on and will read my pressure accurately without too much loss of air while doing so.

I just saw something kinda interesting
http://www.getagauge.com/ItemDetail.cfm?ModelNo=EZ-AIR

$20 and allows you bleed and add air without unclipping from the valve stem. I wonder the accuracy though.

Richard

Originally Posted by Greatbear
I have a couple different digital gauges, one from NAPA that has a short hose and a dual 'foot' used to check air on truck tires, a similar NAPA gauge without the hose and a single foot and a Victor that is self contained. Both of these just 'push on' to the stem, with little escaping air, and each one has resolution of .5 psi and are accurate. As a pressure gauge gets some age on it, the rubber o-ring in the foot wears down and does not seal well, needing to be jockeyed around on the stem to stop the hissy fit. A decent, name brand pressure gauge should not have any issues of escaping air when new. Some come with a replacement o-ring for when the original gets worn down.

You wouldnt want a screw-on tire pressure gauge, as the gauge will leak during the time it takes to screw it on or off. I know of no actual gauges which are like this, rather there are plenty of compressors and tire inflator/gauges by brands such as Milton that have a lock-on foot.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:07 PM
OctaneGuy
Ugh, never mind. I just read their FAQ that it's +- 2PSI! Ouch.

"A 100 psi tire gauge is accurate to ± 2 psi from 25 to 75 psi and is calibrated to ± 1.5 psi at 50 psi. "

http://www.getagauge.com/faq.cfm#accuracy

Old 09-26-2004, 01:14 PM
Greatbear
In the case of mechanical gauges, the greatest accuracy comes at full scale. With this in mind, it's best to buy a mechanical gauge with the upper end of the scale close to the expected useage range. A 100psi gauge does not have as much resolution in it's scale, and since most cars dont have more than about 40psi in their tires, you are giving up some of the accuracy and resolution. Find one that has a 50psi full scale for best results.

A drag racing gauge for large slicks will often have only a 15-20psi full scale, if that much, since drag slicks tend to have less than 10psi in them, and are very fussy in regards to pressure vs. traction depending on the car's setup. Generally thi higher the pressure needed in a tire the less picky it is about being off by a pound or two. Digital gauges tend to state their accuracy as a percentage of the reading, rather than a percentage of full scale, which ensures accuracy throughout a digital gauge's range.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:21 PM
OctaneGuy
That's awesome, thank you so much for the info Greatbear and Minihune!

I learn something new everyday.

Richard

Originally Posted by Greatbear
In the case of mechanical gauges, the greatest accuracy comes at full scale. With this in mind, it's best to buy a mechanical gauge with the upper end of the scale close to the expected useage range. A......of full scale, which ensures accuracy throughout a digital gauge's range.

Old 09-26-2004, 01:25 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
I normally use a cheap digital tire pressure gauge which may be less accurate and you do potentially loose a little air when checking pressure.

At the track yesterday I used a gauge very similar to the one I posted about and it was very easy to use and fit well. The dial that goes up to 60 psi gave markings for 1 psi difference and the release valve allowed for bleeding out of air then an instant new psi reading without loosing any more air than needed.

One thing I did notice is if you don't keep tire stem caps on, the threads can get dirty or worn and that might affect the seating of the tire pressure hose.

If you can find another owner with that tire gauge it might be good to try it out before you buy.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:14 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
I just use a cheap $10 pen style guage I bought back like 10 years ago.
Back then, the pen guages were actually pretty decent....unlike the ones
sold today for about $5.

My pen guage was within 0.5psi from a digital guage, while my buddy and I
compared psi's, so Im ok. I can't tell the difference of 0.5psi on my car
driven on the street where there are multiple road surfaces and different
temperatures (shaded, non shaded...etc).

Plus, it's really easy to use one handedly without loosing much air if at all.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$24.99 at tirerack.com

This was the winner in the 01 Grassroots Motorsports Gauge shootout!

Alex

Old 09-27-2004, 02:44 PM
ColoradoMark
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alex, glad it won! At least my tire gauge is good, I found out at the track Saturday that my torque wrench is about 15 pounds light (not a Tire Rack TW).

Old 09-27-2004, 05:38 PM
OctaneGuy
Is there a rubber seal at the connection to the pressure valve? Same question as before. Just want to know that if I push this against the valve stem, that it's not the typical plastic hole of lesser gauges that will leak air unless I'm absolutely perpendicular and centered to the valve.

I'm sorry for my endless questions, but I've bought 3 gauges recently and they all leaked this way---and they ranged in price from $12 to $24, so I'm just afraid of getting another like that. And of course, maybe I'm the only one that's concerned about that problem too. LOL

Thanks

Richard

Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack

$24.99 at tirerack.com

This was the winner in the 01 Grassroots Motorsports Gauge shootout!

Alex

Old 09-28-2004, 05:18 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes there is a rubber seal on the tip, and it doe definatly require that your perpendicular to the stem. Most every gauge will require precise positioning to actuate the needle valve.

Alex

Old 09-30-2004, 08:59 PM
2perCooper
5th Gear
call me old fashioned, but i just use the old-school pencil gauge. seems to be working fine for me. iono if a couple psi here and there is gonna hurt the car that much for daily driving.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:53 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
Most every gauge will require precise positioning to actuate the needle valve.

Alex[/QUOTE]____________________

...which is why I don't like it. the angled valve head makes it somewhat difficult to position it properly, especially when the valve is closer to the ground.

OctaneGuy: another place to look would be Brookstone (usually in Malls). Their flexible tube gauge is very similar in appearance to the one you show, and it has a pressure release screw. I believe these all fall under the category of bourdon gauges (sorry, not the Jack Daniels kind)

Old 09-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
WHat's with all this digi stuff....huh....how about a nice analogue tiure gauge..you know the pen ones...and they are better too cause if you think you didn't get a good seat then just do it again with out resetting and it will get a little longer or not....you know like one of these!!!

P.S. I just noticed this

Originally Posted by 2percooper
call me old fashioned, but i just use the old-school pencil gauge. seems to be working fine for me. iono if a couple psi here and there is gonna hurt the car that much for daily driving.
so Cheers mate!!!

Old 09-30-2004, 11:39 PM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
i use the really cool one i got at my BMW dealership. its digital. :smile: lol

chris