Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Performance Brake Rotors in Bavarian Autosport

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 05:12 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Brake Rotors in Bavarian Autosport

I just got my copy of the BMW monthly mag, Bavarian Autosport. On page 62 is performance brake rotors for the MINI. Available are:
slotted for $169.95 front pair and $159.95 rear pair
drilled for $169.95 front pair and $159.95 rear pair
both slotted and drilled combined for $189.95 front pair and $179.95 rear pair

They look real real good. :smile: You just can't see the edge to see how thick they are and how they are sandwiched together. The magazine says the following:

Our performance brake rotors will help your Mini stop sooner! Hard braking generates heat and gasses. Slotting or drilling rotors gives those gasses a way to escape so the brake pads can grab the metal instead of floating on the gasses (like the puck in an air hockey game). Plus, they look cool behind open-spoke wheels. Choose slotted, drilled, or our slotted AND drilled Ultimate rotors.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:23 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jazmini
I just got my copy of the BMW monthly mag, Bavarian Autosport. On page 62 is performance brake rotors for the MINI. Available are:
slotted for $169.95 front pair and $159.95 rear pair
drilled for $169.95 front pair and $159.95 rear pair
both slotted and drilled combined for $189.95 and $179.95 rear pair

They look real real good. :smile: You just can't see the edge to see how thick they are and how they are sandwiched together. The magazine says the following:

Our performance brake rotors will help your Mini stop sooner! Hard braking generates heat and gasses. Slotting or drilling rotors gives those gasses a way to escape so the brake pads can grab the metal instead of floating on the gasses (like the puck in an air hockey game). Plus, they look cool behind open-spoke wheels. Choose slotted, drilled, or our slotted AND drilled Ultimate rotors.
Despite the advertising lingo, in general for brakes consider-
If the rotors are of OEM diameter/size then they will generally perform about the same as stock rotors in terms of stopping performance. Brake pads that handle heat better will help improve performance. Slotting helps a little to remove gases but not that much. Drilled holes are prone to microfractures over time related to heat/wear and tear.

Slotted, drilled, or slotted and drilled rotors do look nicer but that is about it. Any plating on the rotors will wear off with time and heat (especially if tracked) so it is largely cosmetic. If I had to choose one of the above I would consider the slotted only version.

Powerslot rotors (zinc plated) cost a little more.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:28 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Kinda like the opposite of the other comments below on the 15" wheels.

Old 09-27-2004, 07:05 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. Now that you mention it, I remember your comments from past brake threads. So, the slotting and drilling is not really a good thing after all. :smile:

Old 09-27-2004, 08:22 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jazmini
Thanks for the input guys. Now that you mention it, I remember your comments from past brake threads. So, the slotting and drilling is not really a good thing after all. :smile:
It (slotting and drilling) does look good. If you can pass up drilling then do so. Slotting can help.

If you want "real stopping power" from a Stage II brake upgrade then you'd be better off with a larger diameter rotor and better brake pads that can handle heat and bigger brake calipers. The downside is you must be also thinking of your wheel size and what will fit if you do go the route of bigger brakes. It's all a compromise and a measured increase in cost.

Last edited by minihune; 09-28-2004 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:43 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Gas slotted rotors + SS hoses + decent pads = Brake Enhancement Package.

Not a bad buy and for many a very viable option. Not to be discounted as bad. But not to be considered on par with other options either.

If budget it tight don't overlook its benefits.