Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

White Wheels = Bad ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Kujo S
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Wheels = Bad ?

Hey guys,

The Mini dealer is STRONGLY reccommending that i do not the white wheel option for my MINI. He says they look like crap the minute you drive anywhere and are not worth it at all. Can anyone give me an honest assesment of how bad they get dirty? thanks.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
When they are dirty the look dirty especially up close. They still look good from arcoss a street though. A lot of people remedy this by buying EBC greenstuff pads which dramatically reduce brake dust. I don't yet have the EBC's so I am only speaking what I have heard from other owners.

What is your climate like. If you are in a mostly dry climate your wheels should stay cleaner, longer. Here in Colorado, it has been quite rainy this summer. When it rains the wheels get dirty quicker.

IN SPITE of the fact that they do show brake dust worse that silver wheels I would still get the white wheels. IN FACT when I go to purchase aftermarket rims I will definitely be purchasing white rims.

In my opinion the white wheels just tie everything together...roof, stripes, wheels.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:23 AM
MINItencan
Coordinator :: MINI Car Club of Indiana (MINICCI)
Go white

I had the standard silver rims originally and bought a set of white S-lites. I have to say the white does show the brake dust faster but I am so glad I got the white. I still have the factory pad but will be putting on the green pads when the factory pads need replaced. The extra cleaning on the white are well worth it!

Old 10-04-2004, 03:30 AM
trplezero
3rd Gear
i have three sets of white wheels and different pads... so theres no problem with white wheels.. aftermarket pads will help the dust problem alot more that you would think...

Old 10-04-2004, 03:48 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a few owners with with wheels and despite the frequent cleaning, they wouldn't trade them.

White wheels with a white roof just looks too good. :smile:

Old 10-04-2004, 11:31 AM
jwardell
6th Gear
MINIs look great with the wheels matching the roof. Silver wheels and a white roof don't look right. If you are up to cleaning them at least once a week for having a great-looking car, then go for it. Here's mine:

Old 10-04-2004, 05:23 PM
apexer
6th Gear
The OEM bads will make the wheels dirty pretty fast. I solved the problem with EBC Green pads.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Change your Brake pads to EBC Green Stuff, and white wheels will stay white. Otherwise, plan on cleaning your wheels daily with the stock dust-monster pads. IMO, your dealership is being rather rude to dissuade you from personalizing your MINI to your desire.

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 10-04-2004, 05:40 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Kujo S
Hey guys,

The Mini dealer is STRONGLY reccommending that i do not the white wheel option for my MINI. He says they look like crap the minute you drive anywhere and are not worth it at all. Can anyone give me an honest assesment of how bad they get dirty? thanks.
Kujo S,

I STRONGLY recommend that you keep an open mind about white wheels. Certainly with the white roof, clean white wheels look great. But you must be certain you will do the cleaning or change the brake pads to either EBC green pads (about $75 to $80 per set front and back) or Mintex Red Box ($36 to $40 per set front and back). EBC dust the least but the Mintex at half the cost is pretty good and both pads do well for street driving.

Don't wait, change them early. If you leave your white wheels dirty the brake dust will ruin the finish on the wheels which is very bad.

You dealer wants you to be a happy MINI motorer and if your wheels are dirty fast you will come complaining to them and others. You can have white wheels and keep them clean and sharp looking. Another step is to use wheel wax from tirerack.com on the wheels to help repel brake dust. Works ok for about a month.

White wheels are really nice on the MINI.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:45 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say go for the white. While EBC pads do reduce the amount of dust, they do still "dust". I used a product called "Rejex" on my whites. Much easier to keep clean.

http://www.corrosionx.com/rejex.html

Jim Williams
04 MCS EB/W

Old 10-04-2004, 05:50 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If YOU like white wheels get them. If you have to clean them a bit more...enjoy it. You'll love your MINI and it will be worth making certain adjustments to accomodate. I've made all kinds of lifestyle tweaks for my MINI (...selective parking, dusting/quick detailing in public, going around puddles when MINI is clean, etc.) and I don't regret a one.