Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

The Hawk has landed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 08:58 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Alex, I'm really confused about the pad wear sensor issue. I've got an '03 with pad sensors on the left front and right rear. Seems this wasn't available on '02's, and seems to have changed for '04-05's??

Does that mean any aftermarket pad that will fit an '03 is really just an '02? That is, don't expect to keep using the pad sensor if I forgo OEM pads?

Thanks

Richard
03 and earlier used one version of a wear sensor. In 04 and newer the sensor style changed in the rear, but the pad did not. You can run late modle pads on a newer car, but they cant accept the 04+ sensor in rear. Hawk will have the correct pad backing plates for the newer cars in late June.

Alex

Old 04-16-2005, 01:51 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 02 and i didn't know i had wear sensors. i change my brakes for each track event and don't know what they look like. can someone give me a hint.

Old 05-10-2005, 08:25 AM
nevr2qk
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
The rear pad fitment from hawk on 04-05 cars is not yet available, there was a change to the brake pad wear sensor, and the pad's backing plate must be altered. Comming in April / May. <snip>
Reviving this thread for the above quote. Do you have more a more specific date now?

I'm looking for HP+ rear pads with the sensor relief for a 2005 S. No mention on the TireRack website.

Brock

Old 05-11-2005, 12:20 PM
rmorin49
2nd Gear
Ceramic Fitment

I'm waiting for Hawk ceramics for an 05 model, notches in both front and rear pads. Please post when available. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nevr2qk
Reviving this thread for the above quote. Do you have more a more specific date now?

I'm looking for HP+ rear pads with the sensor relief for a 2005 S. No mention on the TireRack website.

Brock
04-05 rear pads will be available in June. You can find it in discussions by searching.

Alex

Old 05-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rmorin49
I'm waiting for Hawk ceramics for an 05 model, notches in both front and rear pads. Please post when available. Thanks.
You bet!

Alex

Old 05-12-2005, 07:10 AM
nevr2qk
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
04-05 rear pads will be available in June. You can find it in discussions by searching.

Alex
I'm sorry I missed that thread, but a search is how I discovered this one. BTW, Hawk wasn't so optimistic when I called yesterday- they quoted 3-6 months.

I finally located the correct FMSI number (D1060) in the '05 EBC catalog. Including Carbotech, Hawk, and Porterfield, EBC seems to be the only company with an offering, and brakesrus.com was the only company I found advertising the correct P/N on the internet. Now, we'll see if they actually arrive...

As an interesting tidbit, the EBC catalog lists the same front numbers for all years, indicating the front wear sensor may have been present since the MINI's '02 introduction (or they could have simply consolidated the product line). Also, I haven't run into any difficulty finding the right front pads, and it strikes me as odd that the aftermarket companies would have the right front parts, but not rear, for a same year model change. Can anyone confirm / deny the front sensor was introduced on the '02 and the rear didn't come along until '04? Just curious.

Brock

Old 05-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nevr2qk
Can anyone confirm / deny the front sensor was introduced on the '02 and the rear didn't come along until '04? Just curious.
Rear sensors were present before, but changed in 04 -

Alex

Old 05-31-2005, 03:09 PM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
Okay, now I'm upset... I had EBC green stuffs for front and rear, the rear didn't have a sensor slot, so I called the Tire Rack. They don't carry EBC anymore so they sold me some Hawk pads... they don't have the rear sensor slot either, so I'm out $30+shipping... What's the deal? I could have already broken in the EBC pads by now...

Old 05-31-2005, 05:27 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by The_iaiN
Okay, now I'm upset... I had EBC green stuffs for front and rear, the rear didn't have a sensor slot, so I called the Tire Rack. They don't carry EBC anymore so they sold me some Hawk pads... they don't have the rear sensor slot either, so I'm out $30+shipping... What's the deal? I could have already broken in the EBC pads by now...
Alex has posted twice on this page alone that, the Hawk pads will not have the brake sensor slot until late June.
As you could have read is other posts, the rear sensor slot is no big deal. Just tie off the sensor until you need to replace pads. Maybe by then, pads with slots for the rear will be available.
With regards to paying additional shipping, I'd talk with the sales person at Tire Rack. Under the circumstances, I'll bet the will refund the S&H on the second set plus pay return shipping. This of course assumes that you made if VERY clear that you wanted rear pads With the Slot.

Old 05-31-2005, 07:52 PM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
There's two issues here. One is the sales person should have told me about the issue. I returned the EBC pads because they lacked a rear sensor. This is not really a big deal, the front brakes should wear out first anyway, but there is a point to be made there.

What I would really like is to know that the Hawk pads are worth the price difference. I assume this to be the case, as the Tire Rack no longer carries the EBC pads. What's the word?

Sorry if I sounded a bit bitchy in the last post... just a bit shocked and appalled to find these had no slot as well.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:10 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I agree, Tire Rack should have told you about the lack of a sensor slot but, you need to do your homework as well and, the info was right in this topic.
I have the EBC Greens for about 8-9K miles. Couple of autox's and some track time. So far they have performed well and still have tons of pad left (at least half).
Can't say much about the Hawks although I had ceramic pads in another vehicle and they worked well with very little dust. I may try them next. You'll know before I will.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:48 PM
The_iaiN
2nd Gear
Well, not much more I can do, unless I wish to be petulant and childish... I"ll be putting them on tonight or tomorrow. Should be much better than the stock pads either way. Just that now i have this mooky green pads on the front and nice black ones on the back... oh well... aesthetics aren't everything.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:59 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
Currently I am using Ferodo 2500 front and EBC green rear. I like the 2500's on the track but would like less dust on the street.

Since the Hawk pads use similar material, no extra bed in required, which pads should I use to get less dust on the street and then change to track pads on the front. I would change them before driving to the track so they will see limited street use, 40 miles round trip.

In summary, which Hawk pads are similar to the EBC and Ferodo pads.

Dan

Old 06-09-2005, 04:30 PM
sanddan
4th Gear
So Alex, does this mean there isn't a Hawk pad that would give me equal or better performance than my current setup??

Old 06-14-2005, 12:09 AM
markbradford
5th Gear
Alex -

Did Hawk ever come out with a real track pad for the Mini?

I run HT10s on my A4 and I'm wondering if Blues or HT10s will be available for the Mini as well

Old 06-14-2005, 08:00 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by markbradford
Alex -

Did Hawk ever come out with a real track pad for the Mini?

I run HT10s on my A4 and I'm wondering if Blues or HT10s will be available for the Mini as well
9012 are due in here 7/1/05! the power of blue!

Alex

Old 06-14-2005, 08:08 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sanddan
So Alex, does this mean there isn't a Hawk pad that would give me equal or better performance than my current setup??
HP+ is similar to what you have now, great on track.

HPS offers less dust and noise. Great low temperature brake power.

Performance Ceramic - like HPS, but fimer pedal, less dust and lighter colored dust.

Alex

Old 06-15-2005, 10:17 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
Alex, Thanks for the info.

I will be changing to Hawk pads when the current ones wear out.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Rhawk
1st Gear
Anyone tried them yet?

Hello All:

Soooooooo...... Has anyone bought and installed the Hawk Ceramic pads yet? If you have a quick review would be awesome. I did read the review from the TireRack trainer but would like to hear more.

The Ceramic pads are what I am thinking of. I just want to make sure that they either perform as well or better than the OEM's. I certainly don't want to sacrifice any performance just to reduce the brake dust.

Thanks,
Ray

Old 06-25-2005, 11:00 AM
bolar
3rd Gear
I just put the Hawk HPS on two weeks ago. Brake dust... . The wheels look as dusty as the rest of the car when I do my once a week wash. I just street drive, no racing and the brakes feel is as good as OEM.

I'm happy with them .

Old 07-14-2005, 06:56 AM
rmorin49
2nd Gear
Hawk Pads

I plan to put Hawks on my car as soon as the correct rear pads are available. Does anyone know if they are?

Also, is there anyone out there close to Hagerstown, MD with experience that would be willing to assist(actually I will assist) in installing them for me? I have cold beer and pizza for their efforts. Thanks.