Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

What do you guys think of these rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 04:44 PM
ditc
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you guys think of these rotors?

What do you guys think of these

"RDR Non-Concentrically Slotted Brake Rotors"

http://www.mini-works.com/chassis.html

(about hallf way down the page)

They look 'interesting' to say the least...

Anybody have them?

Old 10-19-2004, 05:02 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look interesting, but as always, expensive. I have come to the conclusion that inexpensive, decent quality, non-slotted rotors are going to be my route. I do a lot of track days and Brembo is offering an OE sized rotor, non-slotted, etc. for about $48.00 @ through Tire Rack.

Old 10-20-2004, 01:22 PM
minispilot
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-21-2004, 07:18 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tontobird
Look interesting, but as always, expensive. I have come to the conclusion that inexpensive, decent quality, non-slotted rotors are going to be my route. I do a lot of track days and Brembo is offering an OE sized rotor, non-slotted, etc. for about $48.00 @ through Tire Rack.
If you are talking about the flat plain rotor, it will offer you no enhancement at all to your brake system, that is just an OEM replacement. And if you are getting it because you just need new rotors, your dealer will replace your rotors for free

Old 10-21-2004, 07:31 AM
ubercooper
3rd Gear
no, I am betting he is getting it because he does track days, and all that slotting, drilling, does is lower mass and surface area and increase the chance of cracking a rotor.

With the stock brake system, going through rotors is a fact of life. Getting a good price on a good rotor is an awesome combination with track days.

Now if I could just decide on getting the 15" race brake kit......

Old 10-21-2004, 10:11 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
The RDR rotors are $355 per set of four. Powerslot rotors are a little less. Both would offer about the same level of performance and the Powerslot rotors come with a finish (wears off with heat).

As long as the rotor diameter remains stock sized don't expect that much better performance. Maybe a little benefit to remove gas and reduce heat build up.

Your biggest benefit comes from the pads you match with your event or use of the MINI. Rotors and pads do wear out. If your track pads grind down and ruin your rotors don't expect the dealer to replace those rotors. If your stock pads grind your rotors then take it to your service dept if within the warranty period.

If you want more stopping power then you'd need to look into a brake kit. We are lucky to have several good options from RLMini (B3) and from TCE brakes.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:48 AM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
The least expensive braking improvement for track use, after pads and fluid, will be cooling ducts. Noticeable improvement in fade has been realized even without back plate modification.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:31 AM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ducting is my next step. I'm trying to figure out how to do it without interfering with the fog lights. Alex at Tire Rack explained it, but looking at my car I don't quite get what he meant.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:54 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I need to file that pattern away. I think I'm up to about 16 different slot patterns on file now. All of which claim to be the 'best'. Of course it is.

The rotors pictured will do little at all to change brake effectiveness. That's why the comments on the pads. PADS do make a difference. Granted any slotted rotor will vent gasuous build up a bit (so too do slotted pads) but zip for torque. And if they are the same thickness they have the same thermal capacity as well. Other than that, it's just a new twist (so to speak) on gas slots.

You could get dizzy watching those eh?

*someday I'll post a pic of my exclusive 'surface slot' rotor... nothing comes close...

Old 10-22-2004, 07:55 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pic needed

Ducting is my next step. I'm trying to figure out how to do it without interfering with the fog lights. Alex at Tire Rack explained it, but looking at my car I don't quite get what he meant.
Does anyone have pix of brake dusting done?

Alex

Old 11-09-2004, 07:09 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
ducts

here is a pic of the ducts that JCW sells. they are not available in the US. i've tried and to this day have not been able to get them. they can only be sold when installed by a JCW's dealer, that means you have to get them in the UK. i've heard of some US dealers trying to make some but it looks like they are slow to come to market. i'm now looking for a big brake kit. the cooling ducts would be a much cheaper path but i've yet to find some. if anyone knows about some please let me know.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:22 PM
BlueMCS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bluesmini
here is a pic of the ducts that JCW sells. they are not available in the US. i've tried and to this day have not been able to get them. they can only be sold when installed by a JCW's dealer, that means you have to get them in the UK. i've heard of some US dealers trying to make some but it looks like they are slow to come to market. i'm now looking for a big brake kit. the cooling ducts would be a much cheaper path but i've yet to find some. if anyone knows about some please let me know.
Thanks for that pic BM! You can fab something similar easily or just point the hose toward the rotor and mod the backplate a bit. A lot more air will flow. There isn't a lot of room in there and it has to clear the suspension arm and the strut through all travel.

Old 11-09-2004, 09:49 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
backplate/dust shield

The MINI Bentley manual references the backplate as a dust shield. I decided to remove mine when I installed the Wilwood 11.75" Race Kit. Part of me thinks that it is helpful in that it channels air for cooling.... then part of me thinks that without it, there will be better cross-flow. If it is there just for dust, that's fine... but I feel that maybe it also keeps heat off the ABS line there. To be honest, I contemplated dis-assembly of the kit to install these plates again, but good ole red Loctite dissuaded me from going that route.

Anyone else running without these plates?

Old 03-16-2005, 01:30 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
any word on someone coming up with a real cooling duct system? i'd like to keep my fog lights too but i'm getting to the point that i need cooler brakes.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:29 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
I too put the wilwood race 11.75 kit on and took off the dust shields. So far no issues- was told heat shielding on wire by brakes is all that is needed- haven't done that yet though.

Re cooling, i removed fog lights & bracket & cut hole in fender liner to let some cool air reach brake. Obviously not as good as JCW kit, but very easy and cost 0.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:44 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Some vendor should really find a way to get those ducts imported... if they're not going to cost too terribly much that is. That's a nice setup.