Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Need Mini Spare

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 04:05 PM
JakeBRG
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Mini Spare

Anybody have any ideas or selling their spare for some reason? Eventually, I'm going to replace my tires with non-runflats... I'm keeping a close watch on ebay. Does anyone know how much they are from the dealer?

thanks,

Jake

Old 10-25-2004, 12:33 AM
The Dave
1st Gear
Where would the spare mount?

Old 10-25-2004, 06:04 AM
pezboy
5th Gear
~$100 for a compact spare from MINI I believe...and you could stick it in the boot.

Old 10-25-2004, 03:55 PM
JakeBRG
2nd Gear
Yeah, I was thinking I could put it in the boot too, but ya know if you really got a flat, you would have to consider the fact that the FULL SIZE TIRE would have to fit in the boot as well. I contemplated this as I filled up the back with groceries on the way home. I remember someone mentioning a compressor from Target that's between 40-50 bucks. That would work great as long as the punture was in the tread (most of the time) and not a full-fledged blowout which sometimes happens on the side wall.

Maybe I'm being too cautious....

Old 10-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeBRG
Yeah, I was thinking I could put it in the boot too, but ya know if you really got a flat, you would have to consider the fact that the FULL SIZE TIRE would have to fit in the boot as well. I contemplated this as I filled up the back with groceries on the way home. I remember someone mentioning a compressor from Target that's between 40-50 bucks. That would work great as long as the punture was in the tread (most of the time) and not a full-fledged blowout which sometimes happens on the side wall.

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&...a_115_comp.jsp

$49 + shipping

Alex

Old 10-26-2004, 09:10 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JakeBRG

Don't forget you'll need some green goop too. I don't worry about it locally but on trips I bring the spare. I have an old blanket if I need to wrap the flat tire and wheel in. I have placed four 17 inch wheels in the car with the seats folded down so one would be a snap.

Old 11-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
At first I stored my spare in the boot, but it wasn't stable. However, I purchased a colorful bag with handles from Robyn.....AKA JerseyGirl. Then I discovered that the spare fits conveniently on the rear floor between the front and rear passenger seats, while still allowing the front to go back far enough. This location also keeps it stable. Since there is rarely anyone in the back, no big deal. The bag is convenient and keeps the spare from being an eye sore (I actually like the way it looks). An even bigger plus is that no space is taken up in the boot. Works for me!

Old 11-08-2004, 11:13 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
I ended up buying some bungee cords from Target and strapping the bag down. I positioned the handle of the bag to 3 o'clock and used the factory brackets with a bungee cord. So far it's secured...

P.S. The backseat solution is good but since crime can be a problem here I wanted to hide anything that remotely looks like it's worth something ...leave nothing to chance!:smile:

Old 11-08-2004, 12:20 PM
ChiliBit
2nd Gear
I carry one of the original S-lites as a spare. But I use strapping at least as strong as the seatbelts and spread the load to three tiedowns. I do not want a 50 hammer heading to the front of the car at 70 miles an hour in the advent of an accident. Not with my head up there, or my passenger's. Swinging a 15 sledgehammer as hard as you can is peanuts by comparison if you run the numbers.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:33 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Where did you mount your S-heavy..err lite?

Old 11-08-2004, 02:56 PM
ChiliBit
2nd Gear
Meanboy,

Most of the time I have owned ChiliBit she has been sans rear backs and cushion. But I also run the Borla Race. So I elected to re-install the seats, flip the backs forward and mount the spare outside-down on top of the seat backs. This gave me a place to pitch pit passes or hats (light stuff) into the open wheel and I then snaked four nylon straps through the tie downs under the seat and through the wheel. All located on the rearward side. It would be easy to fabicate a bracket and bolt it down if you did not need the absorption. A roll cage is another option to tie to. Someone markets a wheel carrier piece designed to let you secure four track wheels if you don't trailer the MINI. I don't recall just who at the moment. The seat bottom is light, but the backs are unfortunately rather heavy. The one 50 S-heavy cost me half the savings on the tire/wheel setup. But it is not rotating mass and it is toward the read of the car.

Vince

Old 11-08-2004, 04:01 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Interesting way of mounting them. I can see it becoming a projectile if you leave it unstrapped on top of the seat back. The compact spare isn't that heavy but it is rather tall and pushes the cover up a couple of inches. I

Old 11-08-2004, 08:56 PM
lotsie
Banned
The MINI spare does fit behind the front passenger seat.As long as you don't have regular 6'2" passengers,it won't move there.

Old 11-26-2004, 03:40 PM
CooperGlenn
1st Gear
I have a somewhat off topic question regarding this.

My Mini Classic came with a spare, but didn't come with the carriage under the car. I ended up getting the carriage and all the accessories. Does any one know how to hook this up? Or have some pics they can send me?? Thanks.

Old 11-29-2004, 03:53 PM
TeleMarc
1st Gear
I have a maybe one-half off topic question: Since the S comes standard with run-flats, does it provide tire tools, you know- jack, lug wrench, etc.?

Old 11-29-2004, 06:39 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Depends on the year of your mini. Our 2004 mcs comes with a lug wrench and a small jack.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:55 PM
CooperGlenn
1st Gear
My Cooper Classic also didn't come with a spare, nor a carrier, even though it didn't come with runflats. I asked the dealer for them and got all the pieces and finally installed them under the boot. Not a complicated procedure. I did take a few pics while doing the install. If any one would like some assistance or a procedure, please pm me. Now I don't have to worry.

Old 11-30-2004, 08:26 AM
TeleMarc
1st Gear
Originally Posted by meanboy
Depends on the year of your mini. Our 2004 mcs comes with a lug wrench and a small jack.
My MINI, when it arrives , will be an '05.