Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Help with finding center caps

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 05:06 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Help with finding center caps

I've been in vain search of a simple 56mm spring steel center-hub cap for my Team Dynamics wheels. Preferably finished in nickle or chrome...hell, at this point I don't care if it's pink plastic I can picture it clearly and have built a simple math model to illustrate. If any of you know where I can find such a thing I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-27-2004, 07:34 AM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks very much like the centre caps on my BBS CH wheels......not sure about the dimensions though. Maybe Alex at Tire Rack could point you in the direction of something suitable ? I was thinking about something similar to fit a set of Volks....if you find anything generic in various diameters I would be very interested. Good luck.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:03 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by gr8britwjh
Looks very much like the centre caps on my BBS CH wheels......not sure about the dimensions though. Maybe Alex at Tire Rack could point you in the direction of something suitable ? I was thinking about something similar to fit a set of Volks....if you find anything generic in various diameters I would be very interested. Good luck.
I've tried Alex, the net, Discount Tire, etc, etc... I can't believe this simple piece is so hard to find...

Old 10-27-2004, 11:06 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Center caps come in all different sizes... do you know if they are

anywhere close to the Rota caps? If so, try http://www.subydude.com/parts/index....eelaccessories

Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I've tried Alex, the net, Discount Tire, etc, etc... I can't believe this simple piece is so hard to find...

Old 10-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Cynamini
3rd Gear
Hey MSFITOY! I have the same wheels and I have found that you can attach the MINI stock caps into them by using pvc pipe and epoxy. I have white wheels so I didn't need to paint the pvc. The fit is perfect!

Good Luck on your quest...been there.

-Cyn

Old 10-27-2004, 11:47 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Cynamini
Hey MSFITOY! I have the same wheels and I have found that you can attach the MINI stock caps into them by using pvc pipe and epoxy. I have white wheels so I didn't need to paint the pvc. The fit is perfect!

Good Luck on your quest...been there.

-Cyn
No way Which wheel cap did you use? I thought I checked my Slites a while back and seem to recall they were too large. Can you elaborate on how you mounted yours on? Thanks Pics would be worth a million words...

Old 10-27-2004, 12:08 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kenchan
Center caps come in all different sizes... do you know if they are

anywhere close to the Rota caps? If so, try http://www.subydude.com/parts/index....eelaccessories
I know I need one to fit a 56mm hole in my wheel...I don't know what the Rota caps are as I don't have one to look over.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:14 PM
kazlot
4th Gear
I just ordered a set of Team Dynamics wheels from these guys and the center caps will be shipped in a few days because they have been on back order They have shipped my wheels minus the center caps.

Team Dynamics Inc.1885 S. VINYARD AVENUE SUITE 4 ONTARIO CA 91761

909 947-0114

Hope this helps...

Old 10-27-2004, 12:16 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kazlot
I just ordered a set of Team Dynamics wheels from these guys and the center caps will be shipped in a few days because they have been on back order They have shipped my wheels minus the center caps.

Team Dynamics Inc.1885 S. VINYARD AVENUE SUITE 4 ONTARIO CA 91761

909 947-0114

Hope this helps...
I could order them from TD but I'm looking for something simple like my math model above. Still trying...

Update...I found a car with Rotara wheels and the center hub looks to be a little larger than 56mm. I don't know if the hole is small than that or it has a very small flange. If anyone knows, please do tell.

Old 10-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Cynamini
3rd Gear
No way Which wheel cap did you use? I thought I checked my Slites a while back and seem to recall they were too large. Can you elaborate on how you mounted yours on? Thanks Pics would be worth a million words...
Sorry, probably should have mentioned such things. My caps came from my 15" holies and my TDR's are also 15's. At first I just slid the pvc in since the fit was really tight. Turns out that after a few canyon runs they shrink a tad under extreme heat. So I'm going to use some all purpose super strong epoxy (can't remember the brand but it's similar to JB Weld) to secure them in place. Anything is better then those horrid TDR caps! I thought with my chrome valve stems and lugs that the MINI caps looked rather nice.

Ahhh, the wonders of pvc pipe.

I don't have a really good close up picture right now...but I'll try to attach one for some reference.

Good Luck!

-Cyn

Old 10-28-2004, 04:53 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Cynamini

Sorry, probably should have mentioned such things. My caps came from my 15" holies and my TDR's are also 15's. At first I just slid the pvc in since the fit was really tight. Turns out that after a few canyon runs they shrink a tad under extreme heat. So I'm going to use some all purpose super strong epoxy (can't remember the brand but it's similar to JB Weld) to secure them in place. Anything is better then those horrid TDR caps! I thought with my chrome valve stems and lugs that the MINI caps looked rather nice.

Ahhh, the wonders of pvc pipe.

I don't have a really good close up picture right now...but I'll try to attach one for some reference.

Good Luck!

-Cyn
Thanks very much Cyn for the image. I'll have take a closer look at my Slites and report back

Old 10-28-2004, 05:21 AM
Ozbone
3rd Gear
I had a set of TDRs on my Passat and I'm pretty sure that I used a chrome plastic centercap purchased from VW which was dished to accomodate a VW emblem backed with adhesive. I strongly suspect other companies also use 56-mm centercaps.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:57 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozbone
I had a set of TDRs on my Passat and I'm pretty sure that I used a chrome plastic centercap purchased from VW which was dished to accomodate a VW emblem backed with adhesive. I strongly suspect other companies also use 56-mm centercaps.
The cap in the model drawing looks a lot like a Mercedes Benz center cap from the '80s. I can't remember the size off hand, but I think I have one at home I can measure.

VW/Audi and BMW E30 center bores are 57.1mm. Some careful filing and fitting of these might do the trick.