Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Prevent bottoming out, with new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 06:30 PM
eurazn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like BillyB, I have the same concern. Currently, I have 16" 5 starts w/ runflat performance tires and want to upgrade to 15" Rota with 205/50/15 Toyo Proxes 4. I also want to upgrade to H-Sport or M7 springs. Should I be concern if my city's roads have a lot of holes and bumps? Many thanks

Old 02-22-2005, 04:16 AM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can get 24.9" outer diameter with 205/55-16's? Wow, that's great. Better than what I've currently got now with the largest fittable tire size on my 15" rims. That's, from the sound of it, almost another half inch of clearance on top of what I already currently gave myself with the Yokohamas. 25.3" outer diameter in the 215/55-16's sounds even better, though I'm not sure my wonderful Yokohamas are available in that size. (Just one of those things I'll have to look up, eh?)

Are there any tire rub, or other fit problems with any of these sizes on the 195/55-16 wheels, on a MINI?

To EURAZN, if you go down to 205/50-15's, You're going to be dropping your MINI's ground clearance a bit, perhaps enough to cause you some bottoming out issues you don't want. If your city's streets are particularly bad, which it sounds like they are (just from the way you put things), I would be a bit concerned about occasionally mangling some undercarriage plastic, though it won't likely be mecahanically significant damage...just cosmetic. Of course, if you can live with that sort of thing, which most casual observers would not even notice, then you'll likely be ok.

I for one, just don't like scrapping the bottom of my new car on stuff that I can't see. I find that very irritating. You might not like it either. I understand that 16" wheels on a MINI are considered to be a very good comfort/performance "happy medium", that is thought to be overall "optimal" for street, as well as track, driving needs. Which is why I'm looking at getting the R90 wheels with my next MINI purchase. For you, I think something in a high strength/low weight 16" wheel would be best, giving you a good opportunity for both good driving comfort, and very good (though likely not the best) cornering performance.

I'm still new to this tire and wheels stuff though, so I'll leave specifics on all this to those in the know...which we seem to have plenty of here, thank God!

Thanks for the information. It DOES help, a lot.

Sincerely,

-BillyB

P. S. I'm getting razzed pretty good on a seperate thread regarding my decision to sell my current MINI, and buy another slightly different cofigured one. It's sort of funny in a way, as others on the thread are arguing more about the subject between each other than they are with me. Despite that, I'm receiving some worthwhile information, and that's what it's all about anyway. This sight has always been a very handy tool for me and my MINI, and I'd truly be lost without it! Yahoo for the internet! (No pun intended.) :smile: