Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Need Help with Tires (Runflat went flat)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 06:50 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need Help with Tires (Runflat went flat)

I've got the 17" s-lites w/ the Goodyear Runflats (well only two runflats now). I had a run in with a DC/NoVa pot hole last night (pot holes and rain are not good). By the was, If you live in the area the pot hole is located on the 110 off ramp, merging on to 395 (coming from Rosslyn to 395 South). It's Okay though, they had 38,000 miles on them. My current problems are: 1) that I'm being told that I shouldn't mix tire brands/styles and that I should get a matching set(4). 2) Another problem The goodyear runflats are on national backorder for 6-8 weeks (which I would buy 2). This includes all area dealers Mini/Tire retailers. No stock anywhere. I can get the pirrellis but like previously I was told not to mix. 3) I have 1 car.

Is it true that I shouldn't mix. If I have to buy 4 new tires, Are there other tire sizes I can get other than the stock 205/45/17 (which are hard to find in the area w/o special ordering)? Can anyone in the DC area recommend a good, decently priced dealer/retailer?

I have not ruled out tire rack.

please help
--golden_child

Old 11-05-2004, 06:54 AM
RedBaronF2001
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do yourself and your MINI a big favor by ditching those runflats. Your kidneys and back will thank you. Enjoy the new grip!

You can buy 4 brand spankin' new non-runflats for less than two runflats. Give Alex @ TireRack a call - he'll recommend a good tire to suit your needs.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:59 AM
scobib
5th Gear
Ditto on dicthing the runflats... Alex can help you choose a good tire and find an installer in the DC/NoVa area...

Old 11-05-2004, 07:10 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Others can give you the answer about mixing tire brands and Alex from the Tire Rack is online here all the time so I’m sure he’ll say something. Mixing tire brands or even sizes on cars is not uncommon, but front and back must match in size. Many ultra hi performance and race cars use different types and sizes depending on their needs.

Do you want to replace the Goodyear’s or are you just looking for something temporally until they are available? Have you looked in the Market Place here on NAM to see if someone has some for sale right now? Have you thought about non run flats? They are much cheaper and wear better in the long run IMO.

Old 11-05-2004, 07:20 AM
rioman
2nd Gear
Runflats

I have a set of 4 wheels & pirelli runflats. I'll sell you 2 or 4. $400 for all four
or $200 for 2. Let me know. It's always good to have an extra rim if you live in pot hole central! The tread is good on 2 of the 4 tires!

Old 11-05-2004, 10:12 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks

Thanks to everyone who has responded and tried to help a person in need of assistance.

--golden_child

Old 11-05-2004, 01:40 PM
rioman
2nd Gear
Pirelli RF's Tread

Treadwear......

Old 11-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
and had he non runflats he would have been sitting on the side of 395 trying to change a tire.....definitely not a situation I would wish on most people!

Runflats do have their good points.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:56 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
my indicator light just went off and I had 0-5 psi in my right rear. A little soapy water identified the culprit as nail without head causing a low hiss leak. Can I plug this or do I have to replace it?

My dilemma: I am going to switch to non-runflat Avons from Tire Rack but have about 4k of tread left.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:01 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by ZAKdog
my indicator light just went off and I had 0-5 psi in my right rear. A little soapy water identified the culprit as nail without head causing a low hiss leak. Can I plug this or do I have to replace it?

My dilemma: I am going to switch to non-runflat Avons from Tire Rack but have about 4k of tread left.
As long as you have not broken the bead/seal around the rim/tire you can plug away. I did it twice and drove the tires in to the ground with no problem.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:23 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by golden_child
I've got the 17" s-lites w/ the Goodyear Runflats (well only two runflats now). I had a run in with a DC/NoVa pot hole last night (pot holes and rain are not good). By the was, If you live in the area the pot hole is located on the 110 off ramp, merging on to 395 (coming from Rosslyn to 395 South). It's Okay though, they had 38,000 miles on them. My current problems are: 1) that I'm being told that I shouldn't mix tire brands/styles and that I should get a matching set(4). 2) Another problem The goodyear runflats are on national backorder for 6-8 weeks (which I would buy 2). This includes all area dealers Mini/Tire retailers. No stock anywhere. I can get the pirrellis but like previously I was told not to mix. 3) I have 1 car.

Is it true that I shouldn't mix. If I have to buy 4 new tires, Are there other tire sizes I can get other than the stock 205/45/17 (which are hard to find in the area w/o special ordering)? Can anyone in the DC area recommend a good, decently priced dealer/retailer?

I have not ruled out tire rack.

please help
--golden_child
Sorry to hear about your tire/pothole troubles.

If you still have two OK Goodyear runflat 205/45-17 tires then you have the option to get 2 more (but you'll have to wait ) or

Replace only two tires with-
Other runflats- Pirellis or Dunlops- Possible- both at tirerack.com
Or
Get two non runflats of the same size as stock (205/45-17) like Yokohama AVS ES100 from tirerack.com
Or
Replace all four tires with non runflats (I guess all your remaining tires have about 38,000 on them?). Tirerack.com has 215/45-17 and there are many to choose from. If the two goodyears have lots of miles on them then replacing all four is a good option then all tires will be the same and the performance and ride quality will improve.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:24 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
thanks Sndwave! I'm off to AutoZone for a plug!

BTW, I grew up in Fort Walton Beach but haven't takentthe MINI up there to see my Dad in it....yet