Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wilwood 11.75" Brake Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 05:35 AM
paulmon
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I read that the 11.75" kit from Wilwood is their "Track Kit" and that it comes without boots. Can anyone tell me if it can be had booted? I know that some people say you don't have to worry about the booting but from my experience those people don't live with a northern Winter. With the salt on the roads here I wouldn't want to risk it.

I also seem to recall that only Willwood makes pads that fit this caliper, anyone know if other companies are starting to pick up making pads for this?

The Wilwood kit is virtually perfect from my perspective and if the 11.75 kit can be had with boots I'd order it today.

Cheers,

Paul

Old 11-16-2004, 05:49 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by paulmon
I know I read that the 11.75" kit from Wilwood is their "Track Kit" and that it comes without boots. Can anyone tell me if it can be had booted? I know that some people say you don't have to worry about the booting but from my experience those people don't live with a northern Winter. With the salt on the roads here I wouldn't want to risk it.

I also seem to recall that only Willwood makes pads that fit this caliper, anyone know if other companies are starting to pick up making pads for this?

The Wilwood kit is virtually perfect from my perspective and if the 11.75 kit can be had with boots I'd order it today.

Cheers,

Paul
Boots are removed from the 'Track' kit and the pistons are replaced with the Stainless Steel models. This is for durability of the piston in high heat applications. Boots burn. The kit can be had with the booted version if so desired. Or conversely you can get the street kit with the smaller rotor! Same difference. It's more costly due to the grade or meat of the rotor no so much the boot/no boot issue.

Currently the only pads for the DynaPro are A,E and Q compounds from Wilwood. However pads fitting the NDL caliper can be made to work as well with some minor work. Dynalte caliper pads are similar but can NOT be used as they are the very thin .490" pad. The NDL part is the proper thickness at about .620.

I'll be at the phone in about an hour...lol.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:24 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toddtce
No.Things appear fine to me.

How come I can't cut and paste a link here? I was going to link the vendor page with the pics on it. Right click and you can't paste.
Works now......weird.

Old 11-16-2004, 05:36 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Edducate me!

No it doesn't! lol

I just right clicked the WW home page, copy image location and wanted to put it here:

I can't. How come??

Old 11-16-2004, 05:39 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you right-clicking and copying the page, or the url (address)? Should be the later. If that's not it, I have no idea...

Old 11-16-2004, 06:10 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
This is the ONLY forum I have any problems on with this. Must be Marks thin air!

Here:

That's supposed to be my 'home' page. (Maximonline btw)

Right click on any page or drag on some text, click COPY or click CUT, then come here and try to post it via right click, PASTE.

Nadda.

You don't know how many times I've tried to do this on a quick copy or text or a link and been bummed. Even does it in the PM sections. I tried to copy Tony WW text off thier pages and got nothing.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:59 AM
Morefun
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Todd,

How thick must the spacer (front) be to run the 17" SLites with your kit?

Cheers,

Old 11-17-2004, 10:48 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Morefun
Todd,

How thick must the spacer (front) be to run the 17" SLites with your kit?

Cheers,
The TCE 13" kits require two different amounts of space behind the spokes depending upon rotor width of choice. The narrow kit- Street Sport comes with a set of .090" (2.25mm) spacers and clears the R90 wheel with them. I cannot speak for the difference between this and the SLite. So, we have to turn to plan B.

The narrow rotor version requires 1.025" plus air gap.
The wider rotor version requires 1.325" plus air gap.

This is from the hub face of the wheel to the back side of the spoke. For an example of this you can reference the Wilwood kit on their site with the wheel fit drawing they offer. It however includes the air gap. I'd suggest about .100" to be ample. Or you can measure this with a flat edge on one of your wheels and then down into the back side of the spokes. This must be checked from about 4.5 to a full 6+" radius as this is where the body of the caliper sits.

The wider 1.10 kits need more space as the rotor sits closer to the wheel and so too the caliper. The 1.10 is a great kit for all out, dedicated track use, but difficult on wheel fit. The .81 kit is the best all around compromise and the only kit on the market to offer you the benefits of a full size caliper. Here's hoping only minmal spacer is needed for your fit.