Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wilwood 11.75" Brake Kit Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 11:15 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wilwood 11.75" Brake Kit Installed

I got this set-up back in late September, but due to a multitude of reasons, I got around to the install this past weekend. So I don't have to post the photos again, here is a thread over on MINI2:

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73641

I chime-in on post #13, and provide more info and pictures thereafter...

Todd at TCE was awesome!

These brakes fit my 16's with no problems. The weight-savings is also notable at 11 pounds (5.5 per corner, 1.5 of that at the rotor)...

Impressions are on hold as I need some help to bleed the system...

Old 11-08-2004, 11:25 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love your puller! Nice kit...

Old 11-08-2004, 01:09 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Yeah, that "puller" and trying to get the rotor off by those means cost me about an hour. Just tap it off from the back with a rubber mallet, spinning the rotor as you go...

Old 11-08-2004, 01:15 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you mean these??????

Old 11-08-2004, 01:16 PM
MartyR
5th Gear
Tony,

Is this the same kit that is available directly thru Wilwood? I've never been clear on this.

I'm also interested - wondering if this or any of the B3 kits will fit 15s. Guess I should contact the respective folks.

Good stuff...

Marty

Old 11-08-2004, 01:25 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini - very nice! Are those the 12.19"?

MartyR - I think all WW kits can be purchased directly through them. I went through Todd, for 2 reasons: price and customer service.

For less than $1k, and having his assistance was awesome. I think I have like 20 PMs from him still in my inbox! He was always so responsive...

Again, these fit my Volks CE28Ns (16x7 42+) with no spacers necessary. I was told that the B3s, while a great deal, would need some spacers, and they are somewhat heavier. This kit is actually designed to fit 15's! So I felt pretty comfortable it would work with my 16's and that is the case. Well worth the wait. I guess I still need to drive it though .

Old 11-08-2004, 01:28 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
[QUOTE=TonyB]El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini - very nice! Are those the 12.19"?

Yes they are

Old 11-08-2004, 02:01 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The ONLY Wilwood factory kits (as spoken for by Tony) are of 11.75 and 12.2" diameter and use the DynaPro caliper. Three versions of these are listed on the bottom of my MINI web page.

Neither the TCE 13" kits, nor the red kit shown here are factory kits. These are customs by the individual builder/supplier.
Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion anyone has.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:38 AM
bluesmini
6th Gear
Todd i'm very interested in the wilwood kit. the write up of the DP caliper has me a little worried. "should be considered primarily a street caliper" Is that because it booted and at track temps they will melt? i know i'm asking alot but i want a booted piston that can withstand track events every other other month or so. will the 12.2" rotors and calipers fill in the stock S-lite. wheels will have to come after the brakes.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:06 AM
RHT3
2nd Gear
Wilwood 11.75 factory kit

I LOVE MINE! I race vintage formula cars and my braking points in my Cooper S were similar to that of my formula car, only in a car that weighs literally 3 times as much. I also carried much more entrance speed before braking. No fade. Firm pedal. No boiling of the STOCK DOT 4 fluid (though I did change to Motul racing fluid).

I can't say enough good stuff about this kit. Light, trick, great fit, no wheel clearance issues, cheap. I can't think of a downside.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:11 AM
RHT3
2nd Gear
P.s.

Stock S-lites will need a minimal spacer. My OZ Superleggeras and even a 15" Team Dynamics wheel clears without spacers. Have to remove the OEM brake backing plate, though.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:35 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bluesmini
Todd i'm very interested in the wilwood kit. the write up of the DP caliper has me a little worried. "should be considered primarily a street caliper" Is that because it booted and at track temps they will melt? i know i'm asking alot but i want a booted piston that can withstand track events every other other month or so. will the 12.2" rotors and calipers fill in the stock S-lite. wheels will have to come after the brakes.
Let me expand a bit:

The Wilwood factory kits are available in 11.75 and 12.2" with DP caliper.
The TCE/Wilwood kits are ONLY in 13" and use the much larger FSL caliper.

The Wilwood factory 11.75" kit comes with Stainless Steel, NON booted pistons as do the TCE kits. This is really not a big deal, but often folks choose to make it one. I've got hundreds of kits produced without boots with very few issues over 11 years.

However, for those who insist on BOOTED calipers; the Wiliwood Factory 12.2 kit is supplied as such. Both a standard rotor as well as the blingy one for the added $100 are booted. I've considered adding a booted caliper to my 13" kit but the cost is just not justified in my opinion to offer this. The jump from about $1100 to $1600+ is pretty hard to justify. In my case the added $500+ could replace the FSLs twice over during the life span of the vehicle!

Hope this helps.

BTW; I still have the offer on the table for a combo front and rear as I've got the drilled/slotted/zinc rears sitting here....

Old 11-12-2004, 08:40 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
Will the box fit under the tree?

If the 11.75" kit is designed to fit 15" wheels, does this include the OEM alloy holeys, or are aftermarket wheels a must for a 15" fitment?

The 11.75 kit looks really tempting, provided:
1) I can fit it to 16" wheels (yes)
2) 16's, and hopefully 15's, don't require spacers for clearance (probable yes- depends on the wheel)
3) does not change the stock f/r brake balance
4) fits under 17" s-heavies (not absolutely necessary, but I want to use them as winter wheels)
5) replacement parts will be readily available for the forseeable future. I plan to keep this car a very long time!

Old 11-12-2004, 08:54 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Not sure exactly what the question is, but according to my sources at Wilwood this kit is intended to fit stock 15s and does so. The larger 12.2 kits DO require spacers on some 16s. The even larger TCE/Wilwoods require 17s and some quite brake friendly wheels at that, similar to other kits from other suppliers using such large components.

Old 11-12-2004, 09:36 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
"Will the box fit under the tree?" is a musing inspired by the approaching holiday season. The photos posted on MINI2 by TonyB show the kit unpacked and laid out; can't tell if the kit shipping carton would fit under a decorated tree if it was gift-wrapped.

Thanks for the quick reply. The biggest source of concern I have over upgrading the brakes on my car (aside from where to get the cash!) has been whether doing so would restrict my range of wheel options. It sounds like this kit is just what I had in mind. I also like the fact that the smaller rotor diameter in this kit is more in proportion to the rear rotors, which look almost ridiculously small when contrasted with some of the larger front BBK options.

My car doesn't see track use; I'd just like to avoid that spongy pedaled, "something's cooking" feeling that the car currently develops somewhere around the midway point on the Dragon!

Old 11-12-2004, 09:44 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
The box is square, and about 1 foot in size - perfect for under the tree . I live in a canyon, and have driven her quite hard for the past week with nothing but consistent stops. And no dust of note as well (Q pads) . As Todd knows, waiting for the rears now...

Old 11-12-2004, 10:00 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
Are matching rears on the way?

As I add up all the items currently on the "wish list," the $10,000 mark looms in the near distance...

...where's my powerball ticket?...

Old 11-12-2004, 10:16 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Well, I can't speak for Todd, but after chatting with him on this, it's possible alright. If there is sufficient demand, then yes, but probably not anytime soon... I'm certainly game as I really want those easy pad changes in the back, further weight-savings, and a consistent look with the fronts...

Old 11-13-2004, 07:02 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
As Tony opens the can.....

There are rears available now from me. They are 11.75 and use your stock caliper. Details and pics are in the vendor section. They were intended to compliment my TCE/Wilwood front kits but they can certainly be had with the WW box kits as well. And yes, bias will be fine with them too.

In the future you may be able to get your hands on a new Wilwood caliper incorporating an internal parking brake. As stated elsewhere months ago. This part is NOT available yet and I cannot offer details on it. What I CAN tell you is that it will likely be a bit pricey and that it will be fit to my current rear kit as well. Meaning if you have/purchase one of my current kits you will be able to retro fit this one to it when released.

As for Christmas boxes- sure you can wrap it up. I'm sure your MINI will appreciate that!

Old 11-15-2004, 12:49 PM
bluesmini
6th Gear
weight

Todd, can you tell me a little more about your rear kit. how about a picture or three. is there a weight reduction with the two piece rotor???

Old 11-15-2004, 02:11 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
The weight loss is pretty nice. I belive it's a bit over 5lbs per corner. The rear kit will shed a few more pounds but not that much as the stock caliper is retained.

Pics of this can be found via a search for posts by TonyB above. Maybe he'll chime in and put them up here too. They are also right on the Wilwood home page as well. www.wilwood.com

Old 11-15-2004, 03:48 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I'd post them here as well, but I have them on my home pc. The MINI2 link should do the trick though...

The front kits save 5.5 pound per corner, the rotor being about 1.5 of that, the caliper being 4... So, the rears (rotors) might save a pound or so, which helps...

Old 11-15-2004, 05:59 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
And the rear pics are here too, in the Vendor pages.

Old 11-15-2004, 06:06 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Todd, is your site down? I am unable to view your website.

www.tceperformanceproducts.com

Scott

Old 11-16-2004, 04:54 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
No.Things appear fine to me.

How come I can't cut and paste a link here? I was going to link the vendor page with the pics on it. Right click and you can't paste.

Quick Reply: Wilwood 11.75" Brake Kit Installed