Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

MINI's factory rims

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 08:09 PM
tazzMINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI's factory rims

Hey - I was playing around with the MINI configurator on MINI USA's web site and I noticed how pricey the factory rims are. As far as I know, the prices don't include tires and some of them are running $1000+ for the set.

Am I right about this and why are they so expensive?

Thanks.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:16 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tazzMINI
Hey - I was playing around with the MINI configurator on MINI USA's web site and I noticed how pricey the factory rims are. As far as I know, the prices don't include tires and some of them are running $1000+ for the set.

Thanks.
yep, they are expensive.. all due to one thing... the 'mini' badge they threw on... yeah, expensive as hell just for the trademark!

like ferraris, you buy it for the name

Old 11-11-2004, 08:42 PM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Plus those pricey rims are A. heavy and B. a ***** to clean (esp the 2-piece R90s).

Although I'd like to find some lighter 16 x 7" anthracite rims down the road, right now I'm perfectly happy with my (included) R84 V-spoke alloys (not so happy with the runcraps tho.) Jimbo

Old 11-11-2004, 09:02 PM
tazzMINI
2nd Gear
I'm glad y'all let me know about the weight and upkeep. I'll definetely be looking at aftermarket rims instead of MINI's offerings.

Thanks again.

Old 11-12-2004, 04:28 AM
onasled
Banned
I'm glad y'all let me know about the weight and upkeep. I'll definetely be looking at aftermarket rims instead of MINI's offerings.

Thanks again.
Absolutly, ...the best way to go here is aftermarket. Though I still think that the Lites are the nicest looking wheel on the MCS, but 25+Lbs!

Old 11-12-2004, 09:18 AM
sequence
6th Gear
the R84's are a little over 16 lbs each, minus tires. I test drove an S with the S-"lites" and it was like trying to manuever a gravel truck, in comparsion with the R84s--all that unsprung heft does make a difference. So save your money, get the R84s for now, and upgrade to lighter wheels (with non-RFs) down the road. Best W/S mod you'll ever do. Jimbo

Old 11-12-2004, 09:37 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks.
Correct. The stock MINI rims (no tires) are costly. They are made by BBS and are of decent quality but not lightweight in general. More like average weight when compared to other OEM rims. If you want the MINI badges and particular designs then you'll have to contend with the prices. You can get a discount off the retail price by ordering through Classic Auto Campus a NAM sponsor. The rims are heavier due to the manufacturing process which allows for less cost in making the rims but more weight to ensure reasonable strength.

Aftermarket rims vary greatly in design, strength, weight, and cost. Generally you get what you pay for and the lighter rims cost quite a bit more since they have to try to still be strong yet lighter- this requires forged or similar production (see SSR) wheels.

If you go shopping for other OEM wheels from BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, or other import brands the rims are also quite expensive. I don't really find the MINI prices to be far out of line. Still, it's costly.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:41 PM
mg5904
2nd Gear
Any word on the weight of the 18" JCW wheels?

Old 11-12-2004, 01:56 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mg5904
Any word on the weight of the 18" JCW wheels?
23.5 pounds per rim. See

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...W+wheels+weigh

Old 11-12-2004, 04:32 PM
mg5904
2nd Gear
Thanks, and yeah, I should've searched.

Old 11-12-2004, 04:39 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 17" R90's are all stackedup in my garage... I think the next time i'll ever
use them is when I have more cash to use on non-runflats. (will be a
long wait...)

But they do look very pretty on the car and worth the investment for
those that like the MINI factory options. I almost always got
compliments from my friends, etc.. The R90's are easy to clean
if you have a boar's hair brush and wax them on occasion.

I have no regrets buying the R90's.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:07 PM
LombardStreet
Originally Posted by onasled
Absolutly, ...the best way to go here is aftermarket. Though I still think that the Lites are the nicest looking wheel on the MCS, but 25+Lbs!
When I was a poor college student, I always wanted a set of Minilites for my MGA coupe. Could never afford 'em.

When I ordered my MCS, it was a no brainer - I had to have the S-Lites! (In white - I know they're a ***** to keep clean, but they're going to look so right on a BRG/W car with white bonnet stripes.)

If I ever do get into autocross, etc. - which I may - I figure I'll buy a set of AK Monzas 16s and use them just for events. And keep the S-Lites for daily driving 'cuz they look so right! :smile:

Old 11-13-2004, 09:11 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by LombardStreet
When I was a poor college student, I always wanted a set of Minilites for my MGA coupe. Could never afford 'em.

When I ordered my MCS, it was a no brainer - I had to have the S-Lites! (In white - I know they're a ***** to keep clean, but they're going to look so right on a BRG/W car with white bonnet stripes.)

If I ever do get into autocross, etc. - which I may - I figure I'll buy a set of AK Monzas 16s and use them just for events. And keep the S-Lites for daily driving 'cuz they look so right! :smile:
I also like the look of white wheels on my BRG/W MC.
Have winter snows on now,with black steelies,kind of makes Poco look tough,well as tough as little beasts can look