Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Toyo tires for track

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 07:21 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Toyo tires for track

Anyone use the T1-S in 195/55-15? I'm currently using 205/50-15 PP S03s on my SSR Comp 15x7s and they're great but according to edgeracing.com the Toyos are 5.5 lbs lighter. How are the Toyos in the wet? I know they're V-rated as opposed the the S0-3's W rating but I don't think that'l cause a problem as I've only seen 110 mph on the track (car is a 2005 MC). If I'm not mistaken the T1-Ss were the spec tire for the Speed Touring Cars up until this year...

Just for info my track wheels/tires as described above weigh 31 lb says my digital bathroom scale (!) and my stock 7-holes with factory Conti 175/65s are 28 lb.

Old 11-12-2004, 07:27 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have them, but bigger size.

I went from Goodyear F1 GS3Gs to the Toyos. I'm not too happy. For water, the Goodyears are MUCH better. The toyos turn in a bit better, but I'm not sure if that is the size change or not. The goodyears have "softer" break-away transitions than the Toyos as well. Overall, I wish I hadn't switched. The price per tire difference was only about $20..... I'm running 215-40 17s now, not the 15s you're asking about. I think the S03s will do better in water too, but that's just a guess.

Matt

Old 11-12-2004, 09:12 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by gbuff1
Anyone use the T1-S in 195/55-15? I'm currently using 205/50-15 PP S03s on my SSR Comp 15x7s and they're great but according to edgeracing.com the Toyos are 5.5 lbs lighter. How are the Toyos in the wet? I know they're V-rated as opposed the the S0-3's W rating but I don't think that'l cause a problem as I've only seen 110 mph on the track (car is a 2005 MC). If I'm not mistaken the T1-Ss were the spec tire for the Speed Touring Cars up until this year...

Just for info my track wheels/tires as described above weigh 31 lb says my digital bathroom scale (!) and my stock 7-holes with factory Conti 175/65s are 28 lb.
For an MC on the track I'd go with sticky tires first and not worry about tire weight. If you want lightest and if expense is not an issue then Hoosiers R3S04 (Z rated $177 each in 205/50-15) would be the extreme.

For the wet the Goodyear Eagle F1-D3 out performed the Potenza S-03 in tirerack's tests by a narrow margin but the F1-D3s were a bit rougher for street driving. While the S-03 is quite heavy it makes up for the weight by offering superior dry/wet traction and relatively good manners on the street.

Are you looking for track tires you can run on the street? If so the F1-D3 and S-03 are quite good. Track tires for track only? Maybe Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Y-rated, $206 each shaved/heat cycled in 205/50-15. Talk to Alex@tirerack for more info. Another new tire for the track is Toyo Proxes Ra-1 which at 8/32nds tread is OK for wet and for the most performance shave to 5/32nds. Edgeracing has them in 205/50-15 for about $120 plus shipping.

Old 11-12-2004, 10:01 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Thanx for the replies.....Brad, I'm using street tires for the track as I always have (drive to, on, and home from the track). You're always going to be grip-limited on a racetrack when using a street tire but the S03s are the best I've tried; I was just curious if the grip was close I'd prefer the much lighter tire (though I can't complain too much @ 31 lb per wheel/tire--after all, I'm not racing but just doing open track days). Maybe I'll try a set come spring just for the halibut; the Toyos are alot cheaper than the S03s too.

Old 11-12-2004, 01:50 PM
ubercooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had both the s03 and the t1-2 on my car.
I have driven both of them on the track and auto-x.
The s03 is a MUCH better tire under all conditions.

You will be disappointed in the performance of the t1-s.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:37 AM
jazmini
4th Gear
I just want to point out to nonracers that on the track, 0-60 times are unimportant, just the ultimate grip going fast, with the exception of autocross (and even there the grip may be more important than the initial take off). But in real world driving on the street, 0-60 times are primarily where its at. The MINI already handles great -- my stock all season Continentals with 175 mm width with SS+ (after breaking in) handle quite good (weigh 14 lbs), and stock 8 spokes weigh 15.3 lbs or so.

Toyo Proxes T1-S in 195/55/15 weighs only 16.5 lbs. If you add a light wheel, such as a 15 x 6.5 SSR Comp that weighs 8.8 lbs -- that's a total of 25.3 lbs. I also want to point out that if you have a MCS then the tire and wheel weight is not as important as those with an MC, as the power of the MCS can make up for any extra weight. So, there other things to consider than just ultimate grip and dry/wet weather performance. You need to also consider how you use the car, i.e., track, autocross, or street driving, and also whether you have an MCS or MC.

Just my 2 cents. For me with street driving, weight is the most important thing, as long as the tire is decent, and the T1-S sounds the best so far -- too bad Tirerack doesn't sell them. I would like to go the track at some point. :smile:

Old 11-14-2004, 08:49 AM
jazmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gbuff1
gbuff -- Are you sure you weighed your stock tire/wheels at 28 lbs? I've heard the stock 7-holes are 12 lbs and the Conti's are 14 lbs for a total of 26 lbs. Just curious. If you are correct, then either the 7-holes are more than 12 lbs or the Conti's are more then 14 lbs.

If the 26 lbs is correct, then your weight with track set up at 31 lbs is 5 lbs heavier than stock. That would be a total weight difference of 20 lbs (5 lbs times 4), then you multiply that by 4 again for a real world difference of 80 lbs heavier (since 1 lbs of rotational weight is the equivalent of 4 lbs of dead weight to carry). You'd have to get a lot of grip to make up for the 80 lbs of extra weight. Again, in auto cross or track that weight is not as important, and particularly for an MCS. As you said, the Toyo's would be even lighter for even more of a weight savings. :smile:

Old 11-14-2004, 10:10 AM
gbuff1
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jazmini
gbuff -- Are you sure you weighed your stock tire/wheels at 28 lbs? :smile:
So says my bathroom scale......don't forget the pressurized air inside the tire weighs something too (doesn't it?).......and the lightest tire in the world won't help you if it doesn't have the grip to keep you on the track.
The SO3s are slippery enough as it is (it's that street tire thing on the track again); I sure wouldn't want any less grip than what they offer.

Old 11-14-2004, 01:49 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by jazmini
gbuff -- Are you sure you weighed your stock tire/wheels at 28 lbs? I've heard the stock 7-holes are 12 lbs and the Conti's are 14 lbs for a total of 26 lbs. Just curious. If you are correct, then either the 7-holes are more than 12 lbs or the Conti's are more then 14 lbs.

If the 26 lbs is correct, then your weight with track set up at 31 lbs is 5 lbs heavier than stock. That would be a total weight difference of 20 lbs (5 lbs times 4), then you multiply that by 4 again for a real world difference of 80 lbs heavier (since 1 lbs of rotational weight is the equivalent of 4 lbs of dead weight to carry). You'd have to get a lot of grip to make up for the 80 lbs of extra weight. Again, in auto cross or track that weight is not as important, and particularly for an MCS. As you said, the Toyo's would be even lighter for even more of a weight savings. :smile:
When I weighed my holeys with stock conti tires (new) they were 26 pounds on my bath scale. I replaced the tires with Kumho victoracers in 205/50-15 and that weighed 29-30 pounds each tire/rim but was much much faster with my MCS because the added weight was no problem and the grip/contact patch was far better.

Lighter tires and rims are fine (for accleration/braking) as long as the ability of the tire to grip the road surface is the sufficient. Each tire has a different ability to grip the road both in dry and wet. If a tire cannot offer as much traction then it doesn't matter if it weighs less than a superior grippy (heavier) tire (Goodyear DS-G3 or Potenza S-03).

Old 11-15-2004, 07:01 PM
hornguys
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ubercooper
I have had both the s03 and the t1-2 on my car.
I have driven both of them on the track and auto-x.
The s03 is a MUCH better tire under all conditions.

You will be disappointed in the performance of the t1-s.
Unbelievably, I've had TWO sets of T-1S, with a set of Azenis in the middle (I'm at 48k mileage).

I was all set to order the O3s when my local dealer made me a "just can't turn it down" offer on the T-Is. Even so, I regret not ordering the tires I really wanted.

Next time, O3s.