Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Feasibility of brake ducts w/o using Fog Light housing

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018 | 10:48 AM
Dr. Spade
|
4th Gear
Feasibility of brake ducts w/o using Fog Light housing

For an R56 S (N14) how feasible is it to run small ducts (25MM Diameter) by cutting out holes in the air dam?

I have fog lights and like them. Would rather leave them be. Although unless advised otherwise I'd use the cut out to access bulb as part of the route for ducts.

Any advice?

This is being done in preparation for Chin Motorsports Sebring Raceway open track day (7.5 hours). I have new EBC Yellow stuff pads for front and existing Hawk HP+ pads in rear. Switching to drilled/slotted rotors from blanks (Hawk Sector 27). I am primarily concerned with the Yellow stuff's longevity given what I've come across searching in this very form.

Old 08-27-2018 | 02:06 PM
bugeye1031
This thread doesn't address installing the duct openings in the air dam, but it does cover the routing of the duct hoses.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...or-r56lci.html

I mounted two inch ducts in my lower air dams for track days during the summer of 2017. My car is lowered about an inch on NM Alpha springs. They rubbed on the ground, but not too bad. I didn't reinstall them this summer because I had too many other things going on.....and I didn't like how I had to route the hoses around the suspension....there are some pictures of my setup in the thread above. Also, I installed some JCW aero ducts in my front bumper....I have the S front bumper, but I was able to get them in there and because of the aftermarket grille, the different shape doesn't show.

You might consider mounting some scoops under the a arms. You probably wouldn't have any rubbing issues.....
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-ductwork.html

These are NLA, but something like them -
https://new.minimania.com/part/NMB40...2-53-Cooper--S

The scoops shown in the link above are available elsewhere, but I can't find it right now.

I've used EBC red stuff on the front for track days, and they've held up pretty well. Best of luck, and please keep us informed!

Old 08-30-2018 | 08:39 AM
Dr. Spade
|
4th Gear
Thank you very much. That's just what I needed.

That last one is very nifty but seems quite overpriced.

I'll do something similar to the first one, but less 3D printer engineering.