Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Help!?! Black FLIK Wasps

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 06:42 PM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!?! Black FLIK Wasps

Does anyone else have FLIKs with this issue with the paint (even if you don't have any issues please respond)?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tid=2434&stc=1

The rim looks scratched in the picture but it is just the reflection. The wheels are otherwise in great condition.

Although it might look like the paint has chipped off, I can run my fingers over the area and it is smooth to the touch. I have only used Zaino products on my car, I do not track my car, garaged, wash at least once a week with quick detailing several times per week in between. I use quality wash mitts and microfiber towels. I have never used anything abrasive on the wheel or tires.

I purchased these wheels new at the end of July 2004 and have just a couple of thousand of miles on them.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Steven

Old 11-17-2004, 07:46 AM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
Anyone?

Old 11-17-2004, 08:11 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have these exact wheels.

I also used Zaino Z2 to protect the wheels (inside and out) from brake dust and wash the car weekly with Zaino Z7 shampoo. I also use microfiber for clening. You can't do better. My car is garaged as well. Luckily for me, I don't seem to have any issues yet it those areas.

I do have some areas behind the spokes and on the inside in a couple spots where it's quite obvious the black paint did not reach properly when they were sprayed. Since it was inside I just ignored it. I touched it up myself and it doesn't show.

Your situation looks like the paint coverage was almost non-existant to begin with on the sides of the spokes. An obvious paint defect. Your certainly using the best paint protection products available and the right detailing tools.

Where did you get the wheels? I am sure if you contacted them and explained the issue they would exchange the wheel for a proper one.

Unfortunately you will be on the hook for paying for the cost of transfering and re-balancing the tire(s) again but any good retailer will at least send you a new wheel without defect and a UPS call-tag so you aren't penalized with shipping costs.

Give them a call. Let us know how it works out.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:02 AM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
Anyone else with these wheels? Trying to get as much feedback as I can from others who either own or have seen these wheels on others' cars. Thanks Brad for your input.

Old 11-18-2004, 07:33 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have these wheels and do not have the problem.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:13 AM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
Glad to know this is an isolated case so far. I still have no idea how or why my paint looks like this. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-18-2004, 10:50 AM
BradB
6th Gear
Have you looked at it under magnification? Does it appear to be wear spots versus chips?

It's isolated and has no pattern, obviously.

Nothing is rubbing on it. It's not your cleaning methods or product usage.

Old 11-21-2004, 06:33 PM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
Feedback, please...

Anyone seen anything like this? I have no idea what caused this.

I contacted the vendor who I purchased the wheels and tires from but had no luck getting them to agree there might be an issue with the paint. The vendor suggested my cleaning style/products was the cause. I don't believe it is but need some more feedback from the fine folks of NAM on this one.

Please let me know what you think.

Old 11-22-2004, 06:34 AM
Minzilla
4th Gear
If you are sure they were delivered to you in this condition, then I would not hesitate to post who the "vendor" is, give them another chance to make it right, and if they don't let them know that you will let the world of MINIs know what jerks they are

Old 11-22-2004, 06:46 AM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
The wheels did not arrive in this condition. When the wheels were delivered, they seemed perfect. There were no marks, scratches or any indication there was an issue. It was after the wheels were installed that this issue surfaced. It has steadily worsened to the point shown in the picture.

At this point, I am just trying to see if anyone else has also had this issue with this particular wheel (or any other wheel with a similar issue).

My plan is to ship this one wheel to the vendor once I put the s-lites back on for the winter to let them 'test' it to see if there is anything defective. The only drawback is that the vendor won't pay for the shipping - the reason I am only sending one wheel to them. My other wheels are not this bad.

I am trying to gather as much feedback from fellow members to strengthen my case, if I have one. Again, I don't believe I have done anything to cause the problem. I want to be fair and not slam the vendor if I can help it. I won't hesitate to name names if they do not satisfy me.

Old 11-22-2004, 08:35 AM
BradB
6th Gear
I can assure you tha you have gone "above and beyond" What the average user does regarding caring for their wheels. Waxing with Zaino affords the maximum care. You are cleaning the proper way. What could they expect?

I could understand the vendors concern if you were some yahoo who didn't wash their wheels for 6 months then scrubbed them with a brillo pad but this obviously isn't the case.

If you do decide to send your wheel on your own nickel, then I woould hope they would repay your expense when they discover it is a defective wheel.

I realize there you are trying to be fair to the vendor and that is a classy move on your part. But frankly, I also would like to know who you purchased the wheels from so I can follow the progress of the "case" along. I am interested. I belong to a lot of clubs and we buy a lot of wheels! I'd like to know if I am dealing with vendors who stand behind their products.

Keep in touch. Good luck.

Old 11-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by BradB

I realize there you are trying to be fair to the vendor and that is a classy move on your part. But frankly, I also would like to know who you purchased the wheels from so I can follow the progress of the "case" along. I am interested. I belong to a lot of clubs and we buy a lot of wheels! I'd like to know if I am dealing with vendors who stand behind their products.

Keep in touch. Good luck.
I'd have to say I agree with brad...I for one have always been the type not to wanna cause heart ache to vendors...at the same time I pay good money for products to last...they should be supportive...if not that's too bad cause I was going to get fliks as well but if this turns out to be a bust they can forget it

Old 11-22-2004, 07:01 PM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone else out there with these wheels. Seems like there has to be more folks running on these wheels or know someone who has them .

Old 11-22-2004, 10:15 PM
goin440
6th Gear
You recieved the wheels in what you call perfect condition, then later after x amount of time (not to mention a few thousand miles) they are flawed... The vender ain't going to do squat. (apologies for being blunt)

We all "take care" of our wheels... Whether to dealer specifications remains.

To me, it looks sandblasted... Is this etching only on the leading edge of the U spoke (as opposed to v spoke).

Brake dust is corrosive... just ask the folks with mileage on white wheels. That dust goo isn't cool (cold) when it attaches to the wheel... burning into the clearcoat.

Old 11-23-2004, 01:56 AM
BuckeyeMCS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tuls
I'd have to say I agree with brad...I for one have always been the type not to wanna cause heart ache to vendors...at the same time I pay good money for products to last...they should be supportive...if not that's too bad cause I was going to get fliks as well but if this turns out to be a bust they can forget it
I agree with you guys. I am a big fan of the Fliks as well.

Old 11-23-2004, 09:27 AM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
Next week I'll be sending the one wheel to them (edgeracing) to determine if it's defective or not. I believe they will do the right thing and replace the wheel. At that time, they should also pick up the tab for the shipping, both ways.

Thanks for the input and I'll keep you posted with updates. Not looking forward to having the S-lites back on the car, though, for the winter. They are a good looking wheel.