Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

New : Pirelli Winter 190 Snowcontrol

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New : Pirelli Winter 190 Snowcontrol

Brand new release from Pirelli for Mini!

175/65/15 $57 ea in stock

Offically approved by Mini for the base Cooper.

The Winter 190 Snowcontrol is Pirelli's Winter tire that was developed to combine dry and wet road proficiency with ice and snow traction. The Winter 190 Snowcontrol is available from The Tire Rack for the drivers of MINI Cooper cars who don't let their enthusiasm for driving simmer down in winter.

The Winter 190 Snowcontrol uses a high-silica tread compound molded into a siped, directional tread pattern to blend traction in snow and on ice at low temperatures (even at -40°) with drivability on dry and wet roads.

Pirelli Winter 190 Snowcontrol Winter tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol. The Winter 190 Snowcontrol radials feature blackwall styling and are available in the 175/65R15 84T size for the MINI Cooper.

Install Pirelli Winter 190 Snowcontrol tires in sets of four only.

Due to the traction capabilities of the Winter 190 Snowcontrol tires, Pirelli recommends using Winter 190 Snowcontrol tires only in sets of four to provide the best handling characteristics and tire performance.

These are not yet on tirerack's webcite, so call me directly to take advantage of this offer!

Alex

Old 11-23-2004, 11:20 AM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Available as run-flats.......I assume not ?

Old 11-23-2004, 11:30 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Alex.. Can you contrast these with the Blizzaks? In particular, I'm wondering about any improvements in dry traction and/or a reduction in noise. I put my Blizzaks on last week and am bumming about the noise and the decrease in traction (over my summer/fall tires). The Blizzaks still have one more season on 'em, but I will probably be looking for something else next winter.

Old 11-23-2004, 02:10 PM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
jsun,
If you want great dry performance too, then something like the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 would be ideal , but these are very expensive relative to the Blizzaks (M3s also available as a run-flat).

Old 11-23-2004, 06:31 PM
lotsie
Banned
I had these tires put on my MC about 3 weeks ago,and have been waiting for snow.They worked great on dry roads,with temps at around 32F.
It snowed yesterday,came down as wet slush,about an inch of it,and it turned to ice as it hit the ground.THESE TIRES ROCK,great control,excellent braking.
I noticed that the ASC hardly came on at launch,even on black ice,and when it did kick in,I was able to react and back off before it slowed me down as much as my all-seasons I ran last winter.Took the car through an empty parking lot on the way home tonight,and they handled great,twisting around,braking while turning,and straight on hard braking.
When I got home last night,after my 50 mile highway commute,the front of the car was incased in ice.When I finally got out of a long line of traffic,and could turn on the highbeams,I thought the wern't working cause there was so much ice on them,the xenons washers don,t spray that low.
Back to the tires,I have them mounted on black steelies,no hub caps,makes the little guy look tough
In dry conditions I don't notice any real increase in noise over the all-seasons.
Now I can hardly wait for a heavy snow fall

Old 11-24-2004, 11:25 AM
noleski04
2nd Gear
Alex,

Is there a package deal possibility for these tires?

Old 11-24-2004, 02:15 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
I havent yet driven the 190 snow control. We just got our 1st snow here in South Bend.

$425 plus shipping on a 15 inch steel wearing tthe Pirelli's and wheelcover

Call me to order

Old 11-25-2004, 06:09 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Will these tires be avaliable in a 16 inch tire?

Old 11-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Azwed
Will these tires be avaliable in a 16 inch tire?
For this winter season, we'll only be offering 175/65/15. Depending on its sucess we may offer more sizes next year.

Alex

Old 12-07-2004, 02:46 PM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Followup - I contacted Alex and bought a set of these - yesterday I had one of Tire Rack's reccommended installers mount them on the 15" 7-hole MC rims I picked up a few months ago - so as soon as it stops raining here, I'll get them mounted on the car. These are directional tires, make sure your installer notices that - mine did, but I could see that becoming an issue for some...

Old 12-07-2004, 07:17 PM
lotsie
Banned
Well we have real snow here now,a few inches of slush and snow have settled on the ground over the last 10 days,then yesterday we got a 3 inch dump.
These Snowcontrols are very,very good
They pull through the white stuff great,go where you point them,and braking is awesome.Was on a empty back road today on packed snow and started to throw the car around from side to side,when and if the back end would try to come around,I just keep my foot in the throttle and steered into the slide and
and the car just straightened out no problem.
My ASC comes on way less than last winter with the all-seasons,and it does not slow me down as much,just have to feather the throttle a bit,and I'm pulling away from 4x4's from stops
If you drive in snow,get snow tires.If you drive a MINI in snow,get snow tires and have fun in the snow

Old 12-13-2004, 07:39 AM
Radman
1st Gear
We just got our first real snow. I took the car out just to see how the tires responded in the snow. They were great! I got my set from Alex on steel wheels and I think for the winter these are going to be great. The real test will be if I can get up my driveway without clearing it first. Yesterday, I did clear the driveway before I went out.

Old 12-13-2004, 05:11 PM
lotsie
Banned
A couple of days ago we got 2 inches of snow,then it rained for about 3 hours,then it snowed again,with wind gusts up to 50 MPH the whole time
The next morning,after I spent 15 min. scraping ice off my MINI,I went for a motor.Well these snowcontrols continue to impress meGoing from ice to snow pack,to punching through drifts,back to ice,they worked great.
Sort of got myself stuck in a parking lot,turned off the ASC,so I could spin the wheels and rock the car,and I was out of there in no time.Would have been looking for a push with the All-seasons.
Still getting used to how well they go where you point them,but with 5 months of winter to go,I'll get used to that soon and getting around just got WAY better
And e-brake turns are way fun,with great control

Old 12-15-2004, 08:45 AM
paulgraz
4th Gear
Well, I've got the snows on the car now - but no snow in southern NJ yet...

I'll say this - the dry pavement performance of these tires is great. They're not as noisy as some other snows I've had in the past - in fact I would say they run quieter than my Dunlop runflats were.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:47 AM
paulgraz
4th Gear
We got 18" of snow this past weekend. Went out in the MCS Sunday night. They do a really crappy job of plowing around here because we only get big snowfalls once every 4-5 years. Plus it was windy Sunday - so the roads has a fair amount of snow on them still.

Bottom line: I LOVE THESE TIRES!

This is the best winter driving since I got the car! There were times were the snow was scraping the bottom of the car because of the low ground clearance (maybe I should get a skid plate) but the overall handling was great. I would not hesitate to reccommend these tires to any MINI owner. Good job Alex!

Old 10-26-2005, 06:11 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeing as these are the only snow tires that TireRack seems to offer that will fit my 15" holies (), I assume that there hasn't been a massive turn in the tide of public opinion against these Pirellis? I'll probably order them, but thought I'd fish for a few more opinions first.

Pirelli Winter 190 Snowcontrol

Anyone have any other snow tire recommendations for 15" OEM wheels?

Thanks!
Chris

Old 10-26-2005, 10:17 AM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
185/60/15 will be the same radius; 185/65/15 will also work.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:25 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Thanks. I guess I mistyped. I realize that other sizes will fit, but I prefer to get something that's the same size as the OEM tire.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:49 AM
minimort
5th Gear
Price now only $56 each. Plus, with 15" steelies, it's $400 before shipping

Old 10-26-2005, 11:03 AM
paulgraz
4th Gear
I still stand by the opinion I posted back in Jan - these tires were great for me last winter. I'll be remounting them on the car within the next 30 days or so for this coming winter...

Old 10-28-2005, 07:09 AM
Radman
1st Gear
I agree, these tires worked great for me in Michigan last year. I'll put them back on sometime in the next few weeks for this winter. I have a very steep driveway, and I can't get up the hill with even a 1/4" of snow when I have my summer tires (Parada Spec-2) and 17" wheels. These tires get me up the hill even with several inches of snow.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:26 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Just ordered them yesterday, and alloys too! I couldn't quite stomach the vision of the black steelies on my CR/W car, and Tire Rack has some decent-looking 15" alloys for under $70 right now. I figure buying those rims instead of paying to have the tires switched on and off my rims every winter and spring probably comes out close to even after a couple of years.

I ordered at around 2 PM, and they still shipped yesterday. Thanks Alex!

Old 10-28-2005, 11:41 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Chrisnl...I went through my first winter with the stock All Seasons and they were pretty good. But then got the Pirelli Snow Controls for last winter...they were great!!!.....looking forward to the snow this year

Old 10-28-2005, 08:08 PM
YYC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
Just ordered them yesterday, and alloys too!
Yep, I splurged on alloys too!! R83 5-spokes with 195/55/R16 Pirelli Snowsport 210 Runflats. Of course the weather has warmed up again and there is no snow in sight!! These tires handle okay on dry roads and not noisy.

Old 11-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Skeffers
3rd Gear
Ordered the Pirelli Winter 190 Snowcontrol Winter tires on Thursday. Delivered Friday. Thanks, Alex.

Quick Reply: New : Pirelli Winter 190 Snowcontrol