Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Run flat has a nail

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 05:51 PM
ep's fitz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got 2 nails in my run flats within 2 months of buying the car. I patched the first one, but by doing that, it became a "non" run flat.....
I was told the indicator would not function properly by patching it. However, since I run over about 5 nails a year, I figured patching was much cheaper. Gonna buy non-runflats when the treads on these die.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:46 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ep's fitz
I got 2 nails in my run flats within 2 months of buying the car. I patched the first one, but by doing that, it became a "non" run flat.....
I was told the indicator would not function properly by patching it. However, since I run over about 5 nails a year, I figured patching was much cheaper. Gonna buy non-runflats when the treads on these die.
Did they tell you how the patch would affect the run-flat indicator? Doesn't seem likely to me.

I agree about buying non-runflats next time.......me too.

Old 11-28-2004, 09:47 AM
ep's fitz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
Did they tell you how the patch would affect the run-flat indicator? Doesn't seem likely to me.
No, they just said it "compromised the intergrity of the tire." Basically they couldn't guarantee it's "run-flatness" anymore... Had nothing to do with the indicator because that is just based on pressure.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:40 AM
number_twelve
2nd Gear
Old 11-30-2004, 04:48 AM
sbeck
1st Gear
I just had to replaced my left rear run flat I picked up a wrench. I know a 11mm box wrench about 8 inches long. I didn't get a warning or anything just felt like the rear end was going to come off then a heavy clacking sound. The guys at goodyear had never seen anything like it. The tire was shot so two days to get a new tire and 240 bucks later Im back on the road. Glad I had the spare but I not happy that a wrench can go thru a tire, a nail sure, but a wrench give me a break

Old 11-30-2004, 06:01 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbeck
I just had to replaced my left rear run flat I picked up a wrench. I know a 11mm box wrench about 8 inches long. I didn't get a warning or anything just felt like the rear end was going to come off then a heavy clacking sound. The guys at goodyear had never seen anything like it. The tire was shot so two days to get a new tire and 240 bucks later Im back on the road. Glad I had the spare but I not happy that a wrench can go thru a tire, a nail sure, but a wrench give me a break
Ii would have been better had it been a 10mm wrench. This is a very common size that's hard to have enough of.

Just kidding, $240 bucks has got to hurt. :smile:

Old 12-01-2004, 11:59 PM
jtminicoops
Neutral
I just had one of my run flats patched. A screw went through it. My tire indicator didn't come on.
I just felt the back end was excessively noisy.
When I checked the rear tire it was down to less than 10 lbs. I pumped it back to recommended pressure.
The next day as soon as I pulled onto the expressway, the tire indicator light came on. So I pulled off the road and checked the pressure. It was down not more than about 2 lbs. Since I was about to switch to my winter tires, I just reset the indicator and ignored it.
When they put on the snow tires they found the screw which I suspected was there but hadn't found.
Trouble is I now have a lot less faith in the tire pressure indicator!

Old 12-02-2004, 11:19 AM
ep's fitz
2nd Gear
That's disturbing! But I have never had any problems with the indicator. It came on immediately every single time I had a nail (all 3 times in the past 9 months!). Maybe your dealer should check it out.

ep

Originally Posted by jtminicoops
I just had one of my run flats patched. A screw went through it. My tire indicator didn't come on.
I just felt the back end was excessively noisy.
When I checked the rear tire it was down to less than 10 lbs. I pumped it back to recommended pressure.
The next day as soon as I pulled onto the expressway, the tire indicator light came on. So I pulled off the road and checked the pressure. It was down not more than about 2 lbs. Since I was about to switch to my winter tires, I just reset the indicator and ignored it.
When they put on the snow tires they found the screw which I suspected was there but hadn't found.
Trouble is I now have a lot less faith in the tire pressure indicator!

Old 12-03-2004, 01:46 PM
jtminicoops
Neutral
[QUOTE=ep's fitz]That's disturbing! But I have never had any problems with the indicator. It came on immediately every single time I had a nail (all 3 times in the past 9 months!). Maybe your dealer should check it out.

Yeah, you're right. It's come on a couple of times when nothing was wrong, but stayed off once it was reset. It's also come on when I did have nails. So it's a bit unpredictable. I'll get it checked the next time I'm at the dealer.

Maybe it's the MINI's magnetic personality, but I don't think I've ever had a car which got so many nails in its tires. Counting the screw they just pulled out, I think I've had four in the past year. All the rest were in the snow tires as I recall! I had a Toyota 4Runner before the MINI and I believe I had 1 nail in 11 years and that didn't go all the way through.
JT