Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Visually, what is the difference between performance and all

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 05:46 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered the Performance 17" runflat tyres as part of the sport package. I received the Dunlop SP5000 DSST tyres. How do know I actually received the performance tyres verses the All-Season runflat tyres.

Any particular numbers or markings I should look for? :???:

Old 11-30-2002, 05:24 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
I think (I'm not positive) that the OEM all-seasons are Pirellis. They're not great tires, so be happy you ordered the others!

Jeff

Old 11-30-2002, 05:44 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gary King (MINI Peabody) showed me various tyres last week.
True "All Season" tyres have four "season" symbols on them - snowflake, leaf, sun and flower (?)

Gary showed me the tread pattern on performance tyres, which was very "V" style with sharp angles in the center where the two edges of the "V" pattern meet and cut out to the tyre edge.
The all season tyres had much more of a cross-hatch pattern, with less sharply angled lines.
Some snow tyres he showed me had dramatic deep tread patterns cut into the tyres.

So ... look for the four season marks; and look for the depth and shape of the tread pattern.

Old 11-30-2002, 05:44 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the ALL-SEASONS and they are goodyears. THey are also EXCELLENT tires and I highly recommend them. Great dry grip, INCREDIBLE wet grip (they really are exceptional in the rain) and so far, very good in the snow.

Old 12-01-2002, 06:08 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
Thanks iancull

Now I'm sure I got what I ordered. It's probably not one component but the combination of tyres, suspension, and DSC makes the MINI stick like glue to the road. It's just so much fun

Old 12-11-2002, 03:06 PM
username
2nd Gear
I have the eufori@ Pirellis. I asked for the All Season run flats, but the car I rcvd was someone else's spec (we were darn close). So, are they the performance or the all season? For future ref, anyone have a good alternate run flat? I went to look at the R&T issue and got distracted by the Tire Rack ad, only to discover that the eufori@ is a pricey tire. So, if friedduck's cliam they are mediocre (BTW, why?) is accurate, what are the options?

Old 12-11-2002, 03:11 PM
CMINIGO
4th Gear
Runflats are identified by a circle with the letter RSC (I think) in the circle. My 16" runflats are German Dunlops. We'll see how long they last. The runflats are much stiffer in nature and don't give. You can tell you have runflats if you get sucked into the grooves on the freeway every once in a while- it's the runflats!

Old 12-11-2002, 03:20 PM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
>>I have the ALL-SEASONS and they are goodyears. THey are also EXCELLENT tires and I highly recommend them. Great dry grip, INCREDIBLE wet grip (they really are exceptional in the rain) and so far, very good in the snow.

I'll second greatgro's opinion. I've had the Goodyears through sun, rain and snow, and have been very happy with them so far.