Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tell Us Your Pinnacle of Performance, Win Yokohama's New ADVAN Apex™ Tires!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Robb M.
Internet Brands
Veteran: Canadian Forces
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Tell Us Your Pinnacle of Performance, Win Yokohama's New ADVAN Apex™ Tires!

We're teaming up with our friends at Yokohama for your chance to win a free set of their ADVAN Apex™, an all-new Y-rated ultra-high performance tire that offers the Pinnacle of Performance. To enter, we want to hear about your own Pinnacle of Performance! Whether you're currently rocking Yokohamas or not, tell us about any time trial or track experience you've had and how you did. Include one or more photos from your experience in your post (be it of your time, your car's run, or just the event itself) and we'll send you a free NorthAmericanMotoring logo decal.

Visit a Local SCCA Event
Haven't participated in a time trial recently? Yokohama's got the hook-up. Head to any SCCA event in your area, and if you're already on Yokohama tires, you'll receive a discounted entry fee. Check out the full SCCA event calendar to find a time trial near you, and click here to learn more about the #OnYokohamaTires discount.

No SCCA? No Problem
If you don't have any SCCA events near you, you're still eligible to win. Simply tell us about any other time trial or track event you've attended, whether it's one you attend between now and our November 1 contest deadline or one you participated in over the summer.

Good luck!

The Fine Print
All posts must be submitted by November 1 to qualify. After the submission period ends, we will contact those who posted a photo to collect mailing addresses for the free decal. This contest is being done in tandem with five sister Internet Brands communities: Rennlist, AcuraZine, Honda-Tech, EvolutionM, and S2KI. Three winners will be chosen in total across the six sites. Please see the attached Official Rules below for full details.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (09-12-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:08 PM
Native Texan
4th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Track Night in America at Harris Hill Raceway

Brought out my modified 2011 MINI Cooper S Clubman for a Track Night in America at Harris Hill Raceway. Being my first time out at H2R, I registered for the Novice group. Quickly realized that I needed a more high performance tire. Tried to follow and stay with a veteran Mazda racer. As the event progress, became more consistent on lap times and course lines. But could not keep up with that Mazda. Plan on upgrading to a UHP tire.

Old 10-17-2019, 12:50 PM
StevePDX
2nd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts
As part of the Rose City MINIs club, we participated in the All British Field Meet at PIR in Portland Oregon this past September. One of the highlights of the weekend was the opportunity to run our cars through a slalom course that was setup during a break in the racing program. The day I entered it was overcast and threatening, however just as our event began the skies opened up and thoroughly doused the track. There were many smaller and more nimble cars in the lineup, but I was there representing the larger MINIs in my '18 Countryman S All4. We all had a great time and all things considered I didn't do too bad! Even beat a lot of the smaller cars, but that may have been due to the All4 system I was blessed with. I would love to see how a higher-performance tire could benefit the big MINI as I plan to flog it around the cones a lot more in the future.

Cheers!

Old 10-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Cab00se
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Ran a track day with Speed District in my 2011 Mini Cooper S at Buttonwillow Raceway back in August. It was my second HDPE even so I stuck in the beginner group. Ran 7 sessions throughout the day and ended up shaving my time down from a 2:22 to a 2:12 so not bad in my mind. Had an absolute blast and cannot wait to get back out on the track, wasn't going for times purely to learn and get some seat time. I did have a bit of a pucker moment by clipping the shoulder at the crest of Cotton Corners a bit too much and put the passenger side of the car up in the air. It's hard to see in the photo but both front and rear tires were clear off the pavement. I was running a set of RE71R's and managed to cook off the shoulders of my driver side pair so a fresh set of rubber would be awesome. I had another NASA event on 10/19 I was going to attend but couldn't spring for treads at the moment.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:09 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Building my '07MCS as a "sleeper", and to make a run in the Texas Mile --- a standing-start measured one mile run. Hoping to get close to 200MPH. After my in-process turbo / exhaust manifold update, all I'll need for the run is a good set of "Y" rated tires and wheels. I'm told by more experienced people that I'll need 500+WHP to get close to 200MPH. So far, I've had it up to 383WHP (corrected for 4500' altitude) --- charts attached. Granted, a dyno pull isn't a track or timed event, but it's still a significant event and the results are pretty hard to beat. Hoping to get really close to my 500WHP target with current updates, but won't have dyno results 'til sometime in December.

EDIT: Here's an old pic from a ThunderHill Raceway Park track event, in Willows, CA. This was not a timed event, just a track training weekend. The passenger is an experienced track driver from "Hooked On Driving" showing me the basics of braking, turning, accelerating, flag meanings, track etiquette, etc.

Last edited by oldbrokenwind; 10-19-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:22 AM
GotGrit
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Took my 2006 S onto the Thunder Hill raceway for my first track day last year and had no choice but to join the novice group which included a professional instructor to ride along. After learning the track in a few laps, the blind turn up then downhill became the thrill of the track, as my 70+ yr old instructor attempted to put his feet through the floorboards as I approached the apex. Throughout the day my lap times were lower and lower with this corner being the pinnacle of performance as this day was 'hooked on corvettes (and friends)' I was the only mini on the track and there was nothing better than keeping up with the Corvettes who were wiping on the two corners before and after the blind hill .

Next stop - Laguna Seca - Nov 1st! After this event it'l be time for some new (lighter) wheels and rubber!

New Numbers

Blind corner approach

Old 10-19-2019, 01:25 PM
pinky_chi
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bought my 4th Mini, '15 F56S 3DR, earlier this year as my dedicated daily driver with the intent of keeping it stock and only on the street. Of course that promise didn't last and now I have ST XTA coilovers, Dinan elite tune, 25mm rear swaybar, custom muffler delete, BBS rims, and some cosmetic items here and there. Got to take it to an SCCA autoscross event this summer and was pleasantly surprised at how well the car did on 320tw tires. Excited about thew new Yoko tires and will probably try them out once my Conti's are done. Regardless of what goes on the Mini, I know I'll be putting on A052's next on my dedicated autox miata.

Video of the autocross run:

Old 10-21-2019, 06:23 AM
invaliduser
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
On my 4th Mini, (1st of the F gen), Coming from a recent Toyota 86 so getting use to the front wheel drive again
Been competing in my SCCA local region for 11 years. Running STU and loving my KW Clubsport Coilovers, NM rear bar, and NM Tune. Wheels and Tires have been a challenge. Settled on 17x8s and been a long time Rivals fan. But I'm willing to try out the new Yokohama's. I've heard good things from the nationals guys. I would be the first in my region to run them.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:28 AM
Robb M.
Internet Brands
Veteran: Canadian Forces
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
@Native Texan your image doesn't show up, want to try again?

cheers,
robb

Old 11-04-2019, 10:57 AM
GotGrit
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Laguna Seca was AWESOME!
That CORKSCREW! Going to need some new tires pretty soon! That last corner before the straight is a rough one!