Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

So I'm replacing front brakes on my R55

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 05:54 PM
the_cloner
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I'm replacing front brakes on my R55

Ok, So I just bought an R55 a couple weeks ago, and the front brakes are toast. Calipers are seized, and the shop tells me I need new everything from rotors out. They want $700 for the job... So i'm doing them myself. I have to do them soon because this car is my daily, but unfortunately, I'm on a budget because I'm rather broke at the moment. I'm currently looking at Duralast rotors, calipers, and pads from autozone, but I'm wondering if there's anything better for fairly cheap. Also, any tips on brakes would be much appreciated! By the way, I apologise for being naive or noobish, but that's why I'm here!

Old 10-17-2019, 07:06 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
I'd verify the calipers are actually seized as the R55 calipers are pretty good and we don't see them fail. As $700 for all that is really cheap.

We use our EBC red pads with our WMW rotors
https://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-re...-cooper-s.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 10-17-2019, 07:12 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 571 Likes on 487 Posts
A lot of shops don't want the hassle or liability of messing with the calipers. It's easier for them to just tell you they are bad. And most places I found that rebuild them want to do both sides as well to play it safe. I used a guy last brake job who had 40 years of experience and he said it wasn't worth messing with them. Turns out they didn't need a rebuild at all, just a clean up.

As for Duralast, most good auto parts have a house brand and they are possibly all coming from similar sources. I've used Centric parts in the past and been happy with the price/performance.

I switched to EBC reds recently, but they are spendy for sure.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:38 PM
banman
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sometimes RockAuto has the best deals...
(just be mindful of their shipping rate and find a coupon code to put in their "how did you hear about us" box)
https://www.rockauto.com/

Old 10-18-2019, 11:57 PM
Kupona
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Get the WMW Red package (their rotors plus ebc reds) that is what i got on my Clubbie and i love the feel, especially partnered with ss brake lines.

The following users liked this post:
WayMotorWorks (10-19-2019)