Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brakes.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:44 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes.....

Im looking into buying some new rotor's for the front and maybe the rear? So feel free to post your thoughts about what rotors are the best? Slotted, Drilled, Or Slotted and Drilled? And I havent been looking long so if you know of some good company's that make em let me know.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:48 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
I have Brembo GT set, 4 piston calipers with the cross drilled rotors. They really do stop on a dime. They squeal a little though with the "softer" pads I have.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:43 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DrkSilvrMini
Im looking into buying some new rotor's for the front and maybe the rear? So feel free to post your thoughts about what rotors are the best? Slotted, Drilled, Or Slotted and Drilled? And I havent been looking long so if you know of some good company's that make em let me know.
What is the reason for wanting new rotors front and rear?
What are you going to use them for?
What was wrong with the stock rotors?

For street driving the stock pads and rotors are fine. Your warranty will protect you from wearing them out prematurely unless you are out of warranty period.

If you want less brake dust just changing the pads is enough- EBC green or Mintex red box should help.

Rotors of stock diameter and thickness are not really going to help much with braking power if you use the stock pads/ or even with slightly better pads. Drilled rotors are prone to microfissures when overheated. Slots help to remove some boundary gases. Finishes wear off with heat.

If this is for a show car that is completely different- go for slotted and dimpled or drilled or a big brake kit- see B3 or TCE brakes at reasonable prices- NAM sponsors!

Old 12-17-2004, 02:44 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSilvrMini
Practicality some times gets in the way of our hobbies. I have a pair of power slots front coming off my car in two weeks that only have about 2000 mi on them I will be happy to give you a great deal.

Old 12-17-2004, 04:35 AM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
......microfissures when overheated.
I have heard of that problem......but when you mean overheating do you mean like a hard day at the track? I know some might say it would be a waste of money but It would mainly be for the street and for looks also when people are looking at the car. I havent got into racing yet.....mainly because the car isnt where I want it as far as power and suspension. But it will be near in the future. So I think i might just go with the EBC pads to cut down on the brake dust and then later on decide what kind of rotor to get.

Old 12-17-2004, 05:38 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
As MINIHUNE points out; changing the rotor is simply not going to transform your braking system to that of a race car. It simply does not work like that. The diamter is the same, the width is the same thus for all important issues; the rotor is the same.

The one rotor we might make a case for being better will be a stock sized replacement of two piece design. If anyone makes it. The reasons being; Lighter total weight and a driectional vane design which will aide in cooling. At reasonable speeds of course.

What makes the aftermarket rotor work so well (and sell so well including those on ebay, gotta love American marketing) is that when COMBINED with a better pad AND some stainless steel hoses you exploit the best of the system. The same results will be had on a stock rotor as well, but when most folks purchase aftermarket rotors its after they have worn out or damaged stock one. At this point a piece of flat plywood might 'feel better' than the old rotor! So when you have now fit these "new" rotors AND the pads....well it's magic!

Microfissures....I like that. It has a very techno ring to it! I'll just call them thermal stress cracks. Take a piece of iron, drill it full of holes, heat it up and pull air through the holes. Expansion/contraction issue abound.

In short; if you like the way they loook, keep an eye on them, don't put them into track service and keep your old ones. If all that meets your goal then go for them. They aren't going to fly apart on you, but won't produce some mystic change either.