Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Kumho Ecsta V700s for DEs??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 02:50 PM
Watson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kumho Ecsta V700s for DEs??

I just bought a set of X-Lites w/ Kumho Ecsta V700s. Per the previous owner, the tires have been run at several autocrosses. Looking at them, they're pretty worn - but the longitudinal grooves are still visible. Some of the cross-tread grooves are visible, but not many...

My question - I'm doing a 2-day DE in late Jan (AMTD in College Station, TX), and got this extra set of rims so I don't burn up my runflats. Are V700s appropriate for DEs (vs auto-x)? If so, what's the best way to determine if these tires still have enough on them for this DE?

My next question - if they don't have enough tread, what's a good tire for DEs that will wear well? I don't need the tire w/ the highest grip - I'm just out there to have a good time.

-John

'04 DS/B MCS, PIAAs, XM Radio

Old 12-26-2004, 04:02 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find out what the requirements are of the tech inspection of the group with whom you're running. They may require anywhere from 3/32's to 5/32"s tread depth.

In general, I believe that those tires are considered better for autocrossing 'cause when they get really warmed up they can be a bit slippery on the track. If you've never done a track day before and have the required tread depth, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you do a search you'll find lots of opinions on various tires for autocross and track. I chose the Yokohama AVS ES100s. They are a nice grippy performance tire that can withstand heat well. I don't know about the availability in sizes for a 16" wheel. The Bridgestone Potenza S0 3s are also great for that application, come in an appropriate size, but are a bit pricey.

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2004, 04:19 PM
Tom D
2nd Gear
V700's are excellent track tires and should work well for any trackday type of thing you choose to do. Since they've been used for SoloII, I would recommend having a close look at the outside edge of the tread area. If the shoulder looks worn to where you think that they are close to showing cord, I would recommend taking them to your local tire shop and having them flipped on the rims. I've done many trackdays on V700's and always left with a smile on my face

Old 12-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Watson
I just bought a set of X-Lites w/ Kumho Ecsta V700s. Per the previous owner, the tires have been run at several autocrosses. Looking at them, they're pretty worn - but the longitudinal grooves are still visible. Some of the cross-tread grooves are visible, but not many...

My question - I'm doing a 2-day DE in late Jan (AMTD in College Station, TX), and got this extra set of rims so I don't burn up my runflats. Are V700s appropriate for DEs (vs auto-x)? If so, what's the best way to determine if these tires still have enough on them for this DE?

My next question - if they don't have enough tread, what's a good tire for DEs that will wear well? I don't need the tire w/ the highest grip - I'm just out there to have a good time.

-John

'04 DS/B MCS, PIAAs, XM Radio
Have you driven competition tires before? Max performace street tires would be much easier to predict the break away on.

Alex

Old 12-29-2004, 10:16 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoops, didn't look up the description of the V700s. Having done so, I agree with Alex that you'd be better off with a high performance street tire if you've not done many or any track days.

Old 12-30-2004, 08:34 AM
scobib
5th Gear
I agree with Alex's question, first off - what's your experience level? IMHO, if this is your first DE, it's not a good idea to hop on the track on R-compounds. In fact, I don't recommend R-compounds for anyone, even for autocrossing, right outta the shoot. While they are sticky as heck, they don't give you much warning before they let loose... a street tire has MUCH more predictable breakaway via steering and audible feedback. IMHO you need to learn the car really well before you step up, and then you'll have to learn where the limit is again (but you'll have a good idea already).

IMHO, the Kumho MX is a killer tire for DE's and it's cheap as heck - no reason to shod track wheels with something like Bridgestone S-03's to have a lot of fun - in fact, from my experience the MX's will outperform the S-03's anyway. IMHO, it's silly to spend that much on a tire that's just going to get eaten up on the track. The 205/55R16 MX is a bit larger than OEM rubber, but it's only a 1.8% difference. BTW, The MX's work well for autocross, too, so you get the best of both worlds.

There are certainly other tires - but, bang for the buck, you ain't gonna beat the MX's for an excellent, street-friendly autocross/DE tire. Falken Azenis rock for autocross, but they can be a handful on the track if they get too hot (trust me on this one).

If you have track experience and experience with R-Compounds, then I have more questions:

Will you be autocrossing in 2005? Are you wanting to stay on R-compounds for autocrossing? Will you be doing more DE's? And the list goes on...

Old 01-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Watson
1st Gear
Thanks for the responses, guys. I've just done one DE before, so it sounds like I ought to go tire shopping. I'll check out the Kumho MXs - thanks, scobib.

So, now for another question - anybody want some used V700s for cheap??

-John

Old 01-01-2005, 07:20 PM
scobib
5th Gear
No problem - I'll see you there at the AMTD!

I wouldn't be surprised if you can unload those V700's really quickly on the NAM Marketplace...