Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Clicking Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Skottoman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking Brakes

My rear drivers side brake makes a clicking sound when driving, and gets louder when braking (which makes me think it's the brakes and not a bearing). Sounds like multiple clicks per revolution. Can't really tell though... E-brake also effects this, so it seems to be pad oriented? Performance is not effected, and it is more noticable at higher speeds when there is a wall to reflect the sound back. I never noticed it until I drove with my window down and no radio on. Without something reflecting it's hard to hear though.

I installed new slotted/drilled RacingBrake rotors and Hawk HPS pads in Dec. I have pulled the whole thing apart twice looking for problems, but can't see any strange rubbing anywhere. I put a small film of grease on where the pad slides on the carrier (not on the pad), checked all the clearances and bolt torques. Nothing.

Since I've checked that all the brake functions are working properly and properly installed, I'm not that worried about not being able to stop. But I just can't figure out why it makes that noise?! ACK!

Could it be the slots in the rotor? Doesn't sound like it...sounds a bit like card in the spokes thing...
Any ideas?

Old 02-07-2005, 10:56 AM
vagt6
2nd Gear
Have you checked the torque of your lug nuts? If they're too tight it could cause warpage, resulting in all kinds of noises!

Easy to check, give it a try and let us know. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Skottoman
3rd Gear
I will try that and see what happens. may have to go back to stock rear brakes if that doesn't fix it. can't figure it out.