Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

lug bolts dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:57 AM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lug bolts dilemma

Hello all. I tried the archives first because I figured someone else has had this problem but no luck. I have an '05 MCS with 16" wheels and recently purchased a 2nd set of the 15" "holies" for my race wheels. (I like the cheaper 15" tires...) Something I had not considered when I purchased these wheels is that the lug bolts would be exposed, unlike on my 16" wheels, where it doesn't matter how ugly the lugbolts are, they have a cover over them.

My dealer calls these bolts a "di-chromatic yellow". He says all he stocks are the "black" bolts. Neither of these sound very appealing, unless perhaps the black ones have a nicer finish to them. I was actually thinking chrome, like a traditional lug nut. The problem is I am having a hard time finding any place that sells lug bolts online or even any auto stores.

I do not wish to do a lug bolt conversion, as I have found a lot of information on. This is the first car I have owned that has this style of lugs and I actually find it to be a superior design to lug nuts. Is there a good aesthetic solution to my dilemma? Does anyone make a chrome or otherwise well-finished lug bolt? Many thanks in advance. :smile:

Almost forgot, I note there are several sizes I can get these in also. I have seen 40 and 45mm. Does anyone know which I should be looking into for the MCS?

Old 02-28-2005, 08:03 AM
early_apex
6th Gear
Old 02-28-2005, 10:00 AM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The black ones that the dealer stocks are designed to be exposed. They are used with the S-lites and Holies and I'm sure some others that don't have a center cap. They are quite attractive. In time, however the black finish does get damaged from use. Of course, with the kind of use they'll be getting, the lug bolts should be replaced from time to time, anyway.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:11 AM
rmorin49
2nd Gear
McGard lug bolts

Buy a set of McGard lug bolts. They are available in silver or black. You can also get a set of locking lug bolts if you are concerned about theft. McGard has a very good reputation and makes good stuff IMHO.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:17 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The lug bolts that came with my wheel package from Tirerack were the regular metal color with a nice finish. Although I ended up using my
black factory bolts anyways cause I liked the black vs metal finish.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:14 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Called McGard...

Originally Posted by rmorin49
Buy a set of McGard lug bolts. They are available in silver or black. You can also get a set of locking lug bolts if you are concerned about theft. McGard has a very good reputation and makes good stuff IMHO.
Unfortunately, it seems they only carry locking lugs. Still searching...

Old 02-28-2005, 01:30 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
I Caved In.

Just too much work for lugs. I ordered the black ones.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:37 PM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Lug Bolts better than lug nuts?

Apparently you have never changed a tire in your life!

Studs will hold the wheel while on the brake disk as you thread the nuts on the studs [one handed job]. Lug Bolts like what BMW puts on the MINI are INFERIOR as they mean that you have to hold the tire/wheel in alignment to the brake disk at the same time you screw in the bolts [two hands and sometimes a helper].

This is one of few areas that BMW actually screwed up when they designed the MINI!

Lug bolt to stud conversion is one of the first mods I will do when I get my Mini... Application of the "actual size" decal to the rear window will be done before the car leaves the dealers property!

Old 02-28-2005, 01:40 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bmovierat
Just too much work for lugs. I ordered the black ones.
I think you'll be satisfied.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Smooth is Quik
3rd Gear
sent you a PM

Old 02-28-2005, 03:32 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DrDiff
Boy, you sure hate lug bolts

I am no big fan, beleive me, but I've gotten pretty used to changing them with the stupid bolts. It's not that big of a deal - and I'm a very avid (if a little slow) autocrosser, so I change the stupid wheels at least twice a week.

Doing it on the Mini or my old VW's is no fun, but it's really not that much worse than on my Hondas.

Edit - Hondas of course having wheel studs and lug nuts.

Old 02-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Monike
Neutral
Lug bolts available

Had a similiar problem when I put on my Centerline RPM's. I finally found Gorilla lug bolts 12 mm x 1.5 RH cone seat thread 1.1 inch (27mm) part # GOR17179C available from Summit Racing for $11.99 per set of 4. These are an exact duplicate of the stock black ones if you ever want to change.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:41 PM
early_apex
6th Gear
. Lug Bolts like what BMW puts on the MINI are INFERIOR as they mean that you have to hold the tire/wheel in alignment to the brake disk at the same time you screw in the bolts [two hands and sometimes a helper].
One person can do it easily. If you have trouble getting the wheel lined up on the hub, stick a screwdriver through the lug hole in the wheel, pick up the wheel and stick the end of the screwdriver into one of the lug holes in the hub. Hold onto the screwdriver and thread a lug bolt in another hole.

My last BMW had a tool in the kit specificly for this purpose and it worked fine. I don't think the MINI has one, but a screwdriver will work just as well.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:48 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Monike
Had a similiar problem when I put on my Centerline RPM's. I finally found Gorilla lug bolts 12 mm x 1.5 RH cone seat thread 1.1 inch (27mm) part # GOR17179C available from Summit Racing for $11.99 per set of 4. These are an exact duplicate of the stock black ones if you ever want to change.
Cheaper....

http://www.piloracing.com/shop/prodd...17mmstd&cat=18

Old 02-28-2005, 06:05 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
>This is one of few areas that BMW actually screwed up when they designed the MINI!

Really? cause I prefer lug bolts over lug nuts because if I ever need to
use offset spacers, it is so much easier to swap bolts than to swap
lug studs. but then, I don't swap wheels that often...

Old 02-28-2005, 08:30 PM
LeftyS7
4th Gear
BMWs come with lug bolts, too. My understanding about lug studs and nuts is that, not only is it easier to change a wheel, mechanically it works more efficiently which is why studs are used in so many automotive applications and not bolts.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
I bought my chrome lugbolts from Leather Z. They are BMW original parts that have been chromed and come in a set of twenty since regular BMWs have five bolts per wheel.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
According to this post https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=38446
chrome bolts, conversion kits and nuts are available from a NAM sponsor, Pilo Racing.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:09 AM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Chrome Lug Bolts

I just ordered a set of Racing hart C5's from wheelsnext. And the lug bolts they sent me for the wheels are chrome. And they are Locking lug bolts too.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:40 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
For the record...

Studs will hold the wheel while on the brake disk as you thread the nuts on the studs [one handed job]. Lug Bolts like what BMW puts on the MINI are INFERIOR as they mean that you have to hold the tire/wheel in alignment to the brake disk at the same time you screw in the bolts [two hands and sometimes a helper].

This is one of few areas that BMW actually screwed up when they designed the MINI!

Lug bolt to stud conversion is one of the first mods I will do when I get my Mini... Application of the "actual size" decal to the rear window will be done before the car leaves the dealers property!
I do all of my own vehicle maintenance and like the lug bolts. :-)

Old 03-02-2005, 01:50 PM
bmovierat
4th Gear
Chrome!

Originally Posted by Nick_T.
I bought my chrome lugbolts from Leather Z. They are BMW original parts that have been chromed and come in a set of twenty since regular BMWs have five bolts per wheel.
Very nice chrome pieces! I'll keep them in mind in the future...

Old 03-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
Solution for the "two hands needed" problem

IMO lug bolts are far superior to studs and nuts. Have you ever damaged the threads on a stud while sliding a heavy (30+ pounds) wheel into position? If you haven't done it, I'll bet that you know somebody who has.

These wheel pins solve the problem. Twist one into an upper lug bolt hole and slide the wheel into position, then insert the lug bolts. Using two pins makes the task even easier since the lug bolt holes are automatically aligned.

The pins have a hole in the end. Insert a screwdrive for leverage in the event that you installed the pin too tightly.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:55 PM
speedn16v
1st Gear
You get used to the bolts. I put the wheel on, press it tight against the hub with my foot, rotate the wheel, thread the bolts in by hand, tighten slightly with a ratchet, then use the torque stick.

Another advantage to bolts is there are no bare threads exposed to the elements. It is much harder to break a nut free from a lug if the wheel hasn't been removed in a while

Dave.