Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Can't believe I'm saying this...Should I go 15's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't believe I'm saying this...Should I go 15's?

When I got my MCS I decided I would size down from my S-Lites to a 16"x7" rim (and that's sizing down from 18"x8" on my recently sold GTI). I was also dead set on a solid black rim (no polished lip, no anthracite) to compliment my PS/B paint. However, I have only found one black 16"x7" wheel out there that is of decent weight: 5Zigen FN01R-C. It's a nice rim, but I'm not sold on it. An obvious solution to creating more options would be to powder coat a 16" rim of my choice, but I had a bad experience with a powder coating vendor in the past, and there is the added time it takes, plus the extra money I don't have. With all of that said, I am now considering a 15"x7" wheel. Are there any cons I should know about regarding 15" rims on our cars before I invest in them? The only thing I can think of is a less stiff sidewall, and yes, I am concerned about how that will affect handling (especially at high speeds). Does anyone have hands-on feedback on this? Is there anything else I should know or consider?

[FYI - The wheels and tires will be mated to stock struts, H-Sport springs, and an H-Sport rear sway bar]

Old 03-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A lot of people run a slightly smaller diameter tire on their 15s to prevent the less stiff sidewalls...205/50/15. Thats what i plan on doing to my 15s when they get in. Besides that, the only con would be the "looks" but i personally think 15s look the best

Old 03-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The mini has a lot of the same dimentions and suspension setup as the early 90's civic Si hatchbacks (I've owned 6...I should know ) and I have not run anything above a 15" wheel on those cars. Light, cheap, and good looking you cant beat a 15" in my book.

-Jake

Old 03-01-2005, 06:22 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BelowRadar
When I got my MCS I decided I would size down from my S-Lites to a 16"x7" rim (and that's sizing down from 18"x8" on my recently sold GTI). I was also dead set on a solid black rim (no polished lip, no anthracite) to compliment my PS/B paint. However, I have only found one black 16"x7" wheel out there that is of decent weight: 5Zigen FN01R-C. It's a nice rim, but I'm not sold on it. An obvious solution to creating more options would be to powder coat a 16" rim of my choice, but I had a bad experience with a powder coating vendor in the past, and there is the added time it takes, plus the extra money I don't have. With all of that said, I am now considering a 15"x7" wheel. Are there any cons I should know about regarding 15" rims on our cars before I invest in them? The only thing I can think of is a less stiff sidewall, and yes, I am concerned about how that will affect handling (especially at high speeds). Does anyone have hands-on feedback on this? Is there anything else I should know or consider?

[FYI - The wheels and tires will be mated to stock struts, H-Sport springs, and an H-Sport rear sway bar]
The MINI does well with many size wheels. 15x7 is a good one. Look for wheel offset of about +38mm to +45mm. Try not to get a tire that is too much larger in outer diameter than about 24.6".

If you choose a tire that is 50 or 55 series you should be fine. 205/55-15 might be a good place to start. Performance is OK and for street use it is very good. For better performance a smaller tire like 205/50-15 or even 225/45-15 is possible but small tires will wear faster and won't be good for an accurate speedometer. Driveablility is still good.

The light weight of a 15x7 rim with small tire will mean that each tire/rim will weigh about 30+ pounds. Depends on the rims you choose. Compare that to the stock 17" rim/tires at 48 pounds each. Big difference.

15" tires are cheaper and the rims are too but the selection may not be quite as good. Consider Rota rims from Rspeed.net and Fliks from edgeracing.com.

I always use 15" wheels for track and autocross. I also driven them on the street a little and it was fine.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:55 AM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
I'm biased but I run 15's on my MC. There was a Really good article in Bimmer magazine about 6 mos ago where the Yokama Mini was set up with 15's. They could have put whatever they wanted. Money was not an issue.

They had the leda coilovers and all that stuff. I think they were 205/50's. That would negate any sidewall problems.

I think the only problem youd have is faster lap times. Talk about feel like a go-cart!

Old 03-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Kyle
3rd Gear
I'm in the process of picking up my 2nd set of 15s for my MC and I can't wait. This week or so that I've been back on 17s has been painfully slow. You should definately go to 15s, they're the best.

The first set I had was wrapped in 205/50 15 Falken Azenis Sports, which were awesome tires but didn't have the day to day comfort I'm looking for. The wheels I'm looking to get now are 15x7 so I should be able to step to a 225 width, and I'm thinking a 225/50 15 might add just a touch more sidewall and bring me a little more comfort. My only issue is that I'm afraid the tires might rub a bit when the steering wheel is fully turned. The wheels are et38 so it shouldn't be too big of a deal, anybody know?

Old 03-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Flip
2nd Gear
Okay! This going to take a hellva-alot-of explaining, so please try to be patient.

My 2002 MCS has the OEM 16" X-wheels/ Dunlop run-flats (R-84, I beleave).
I like them. I just don't want to replace the run-flats when they wear out. They have only 7200 miles on them. I want to save'em!!!.

So I figure I'd buy new rims & tires. I already have OEM 16" rims and don't want 17's. Maybe 17's later but not right now. So I figure I go with 15's. I found a set that I liked but they scared me 'cause they were rather cheap, had a 35+ offset and would definetly take a centering ring. I don't like centering rings, nobody knows there on there except you, the owner of the car, and you or your spouse better remember to remind the tire changer at the shop that they are there or they'll get lost or ruined...Happened to me before!

So than I stumbled upon a set of OEM Mini-lite-like 8 spoke wheels in perfect condition. Hea! Can't lose! Perfect fit, no centering ring. My MCS is dark siver/white top, so your not going to find many color combo with this 15"inch wheel. Also, I'm a sucker for white letter tires, and with the white roof I'm thinking this might look kind-of OK or at least unique.

One problem! The tire manufactorer offers this tire in RWL in a 195/60/15 (to small) and in a 215/60/15 (to big, OEM rim is 5.5" wide). NO IN BETWEEN SIZE! 205/60/15 (almost the same dimensions as the OEM 195/55/16 tire.

Now, I'm aware of the side-wall flex with a 60 series tire, but I don't care, I want a more subtle JARRING when my baby hits the broken roads.

Anyway! This is what I came-up with, "the to small", 195/60/15 RWL. The dealer loaned me the tire to see what it would look like. I have'nt purchased any tires yet. Remember this little change will cost little...less than 600 bucks!

Also! Please excuse the rust colored rotors, I washed the car and haven't driven it since last saturday.

Attached Thumbnails Can't believe I'm saying this...Should I go 15's?-dscf0017.jpg   Can't believe I'm saying this...Should I go 15's?-dscf0019.jpg   Can't believe I'm saying this...Should I go 15's?-dscf0021.jpg  
Old 03-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great I love 15s on this car.....considering the heritage it only seems right :smile:

Old 03-05-2005, 12:47 PM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'm going to go 15's.

Originally Posted by minihune
If you choose a tire that is 50 or 55 series you should be fine. 205/55-15 might be a good place to start. Performance is OK and for street use it is very good. For better performance a smaller tire like 205/50-15 or even 225/45-15 is possible but small tires will wear faster and won't be good for an accurate speedometer. Driveablility is still good.
Would 215/50/15 be the right diameter for that width tire?

Old 03-05-2005, 04:31 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by BelowRadar
Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'm going to go 15's.

Would 215/50/15 be the right diameter for that width tire?
For 15x7" wide rims you can choose from the following tire sizes-
195/55-15 mostly runflat tires in this size
205/50-15 lots of tires but outer diameter is small at 23.1". Good for autocross or track tires.
205/55-15 good selection of tires, diameter is 23.9". Probably the best size for street use. 55 series is softer riding.
215/55-15 fits 7" wide rims, outer diameter 24.3" softer riding. Slightly heavier tire. Very limited selection of tires.
225/50-15 fits 7" wide rims, is wider and has a shorter side wall. Outer diameter 23.9". Wide tire may require 5mm spacers depending on offset of rims and whether suspension is lowered.

The 215/50-15 size doesn't have many tires to choose from- this will limit your choices but it will fit 7" wide rims well. Outer diameter is 23.5" which is smaller than the stock 24.4". A smaller tire will wear out faster and not be as accurate for the speedometer.

Wider tires than 205mm do provide for more traction but also increased rolling resistance and lower gas mileage. They tend to cost more and weigh more than more narrow tires. When using stock 15x5.5" rims the 205mm tires will fit better than 215 or 225mm tires that really need at least a 6" wide rim and preferably a 7" wide rim.

Last edited by minihune; 03-05-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:27 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
I too like the 15s. I've got the stock 8 spoke 15" wheels (at 15.2 lbs) with stock Continental all seasons, which are 175/65/15, and weigh 16 lbs for a total of 31.2 lbs per corner. I got these because I did not want the 16" runflats (due to the reported harsh ride) and the heavy OEM 16" wheels, and even ordered the other sport package items alakart to avoid this. I like the lightness of running 15s, since with a small engined car like the MINI, weight is important, especially in an MC.

I've thought of going to a lighter aftermarket 15" wheel later (i.e., SSR Competitions in 15 by 6.5 at 8.8 lbs), and the available tires in the 205/50/15 size run from 18.5 lbs (Toyo Proxes T1-S) to 19 lbs (Dunlap, Kumho, Michelin) to 22 lbs (Bridgestone Potenza S-03) and heavier.

Another 15" size to consider is the 195/55/15, which range from 16.5 lbs (Toyo Proxes T1-S) to 18 lbs (Michelin Pilot) to 19 lbs (Dunlop, Kumho, Yokohama) to 20 lbs (Dunlop, BF Goodrich), and heavier.

Something else to consider is a light 16 inch wheel with a 205/45/16 tire for a diameter of 23.2" (which is about the same diameter as 205/50/15 -- a very popular size) giving you a little better gearing for quickness. A good combo I am also considering (later on) is the SSR Competitions in 16 by 7 (ll lbs) with a Pirelli PZero Nero in 205/45/16 (18 lbs) for a total of 29 lbs -- and it doesn't get too much lighter than this. I think I heard the Miata's use that tire size a lot. There are many tire choices available in this size, including good performance all seasons (i.e., Pirelli PZero Nero M+S at 19 lbs), and many tires are 19 or 20 lbs.

There's a lot to think about. TireRack has tire and wheel weights and sizes with other specs, i.e., total diameters. Enjoy!

Old 03-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think a set of nice and wide 15's would be great.

Modern performance tires have very stiff sidewalls, and the perceived performance benefits of huge diameter rims is mostly over-estimated. Quality performance tires in 15" sizes will have stiff enough sidewalls and the added cushioning will help to keep the tires stuck to the road at high speeds.

At one point, I had the nutty idea to get a set of custom adjustable shocks to actually LIFT the MINI and outfit it with a set of 15" rims with off-road rally tires. I'd love to see someone actually do it!

For 15" sizes, I think these BBS RG-F rims are sweet! Send them to the powdercoat shop and have them done up in stealthy black!

Old 03-07-2005, 03:40 AM
Humourless
1st Gear
I stick with 15" rims for winter on my MCS, but to be honest there is a bit of a performance advantage too (weight is about 16.5 lbs). My only suggestion is that a big of a dry fit is attempted before you commit to buying - not all 15" rims will fit.