Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Do not buy Run-Flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 02:46 AM
mini4usa
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do not buy Run-Flat tires

I just had to replace a 17" run flat tire and wheel. The total cost for one tire and wheel was:
Rim: $225.00 (Rim unique to run flat tire)
Tire: $312.50 (205/45/R7)
Valve: $3.85
Labor: $30.00

TOTAL: $571.35 FOr ONE TIRE AND WHEEL

I will immediately buy four tires and wheels from R Speed for $1100.00 including shipment and offer my four run flat tires for sale on ebay.

In addition to being expensive the run flat tires run rougher than normal tires. I would encourage all new mini buyers to not buy the run flats.

Old 12-21-2002, 03:19 AM
jsun
6th Gear
(sorry, but this thread really belongs in the TIRE area...Moderators, can this be moved?)

Mini4USA, I agree that the runflats are expensive and harsh-riding. There have been a number of other posts over time to that effect. Also sorry that you needed to replace a wheel. What happended? Curb? Pothole? Re. the latter, this is why some of us have been promoting the (albeit not as pretty as alloys) steel wheels and winter tire combination.

But what I'm really wondering is why you're saying that you'll buy new wheels in the spring? Why not just buy 4 non-runflat 17" tires that fit your existing wheels? Check for previous posts as several people have done this and no-doubt have recommendations.

Old 12-21-2002, 10:59 AM
Grinder
3rd Gear
I was under the impression that runflats can fit on any rim.... You might want to check that.

Old 12-22-2002, 09:25 PM
letsmotor
4th Gear
Which runflat tyre did you receive? :???:

I was quoted $212 from my local tyre shoppe for the Dunlop sp5000 DSST 17 inch

Old 12-22-2002, 09:34 PM
Sarcux
6th Gear
Remember that an S doesn't have a spare... with normal tires you could get stuck. Keep some Fix-a-Flat in your boot.

Old 12-22-2002, 10:14 PM
dbwilldo
Coordinator :: Southern California MINI Maniacs
I was planning on replacing the run flats with regular tires when the time comes, and just keep an 'emergency' kit in the boot....fix-flat, compressor and the like

Old 12-23-2002, 10:39 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
The Tire Rack stocks our run-flats. When I had to replace one right before my trip to Canada, the dealership wanted $271 for one of the Dunlop 205/45 R17 Run-Flats. The Tire Rack wanted about $180 at the time. I bought the tire from the Tire Rack, had it overnighted out to Colorado for $51 and had it installed at one of their installers who worked with run-flats for $20.

I am now using Yokohama AVS ES100 205/50 R16 tires on the MINI R84 wheels. I carry a cell phone, my roadside assistance card, fix-a-flat, and a small compressor. Really not a big deal. Plus, regular tires really improve both the handling and the ride comfor of the car. Very nice change.

Old 12-23-2002, 04:47 PM
Mark
North American Motoring :: Founder
Moving to the Tire and Wheel forum...

Mark

Old 12-23-2002, 05:07 PM
Peng1
2nd Gear
We checked pricing on run flats prior to ordering and discovered the same. A little out of the budget for a "flat" run flat. Also,... Xenon lamps are a little costlier as well - not that they burn out soon, but a local news report stated that they were a hot item and many new cars equiped with them were targets for theft. Oh well, it's only money.

Old 01-01-2003, 07:38 AM
Bmuelle
2nd Gear
>>I was under the impression that runflats can fit on any rim.... You might want to check that.

I came across this paragraph in an article I found concerning Minis' and runflat tires.

MINI's run-flat tires are engineered to fit on standard wheels and to run without inflation pressure for up to 150 miles at speeds up to 50 mph, he said. A tire-pressure monitoring system is standard equipment

Old 01-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
there are no specific wheels for "run-flats" Run-flat tires will work on any standard wheel. You may be confusing this with Michelin's PAX system.

Run-flats are a great idea if you don't want to carry a spare (or a fix-a-flat can) and can sacrifice some ride softness.

Run-flats are a bad idea if you never get flats, need to shed a few ounces of unsprung weight, or need *****-out grip and decent ride softness.

Old 01-07-2003, 10:51 PM
retroom
4th Gear
>>Run-flats are a bad idea if you never get flats, need to shed a few ounces of unsprung weight, or need *****-out grip and decent ride softness.

How do you know you'll never get a flat?????????

retroom

Old 01-08-2003, 07:46 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
you can't determine if you're gonna get a flat or not, unless your MINI is parked in the garage or museum indefinitely, that's the point! It's kinda dumb to have regular tires and no spare/fix-a-flat.

Old 01-11-2003, 01:34 PM
loki1957
Neutral
Can any tire be mounted on the 16 inch wheel? I can't believe that the wheels are specific to run flats. I really want to get rid of the run flats for better grip and better ride.

Old 01-11-2003, 01:46 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
I guess we'd have to have a tire rack on the top of the car like they did in the Monte Carlo Rally!

- - For me, I'll take the run flat tires that MINI designed the car to come with. I like the idea that there is a low tire gage on the dash. If I decide between now and when my current lease is up that I do not want a fun car with a stiff ride and I really want a smooth quiet ride, then I'll buy a luxury sedan.

Old 01-19-2003, 09:36 PM
PeterM
2nd Gear
I like the idea of run flats too. I just got my MCS and I love it, but it catches all the grooves in the road. That makes the car jump right and left. I have the stock Pirelli's. Do the Goodyears have the same problem?

Old 01-20-2003, 07:49 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
PeterM: the tramlining is more of an alignment issue. Changing to a different tire won't band-aid the situation. If you're used to driving anything but a go-kart, the MCS will seem jumpy for a while. Teach yourself to stay on top of the steering constantly, and only small, smooth inputs are needed. Lastly, drive IN the grooves, don't drive all over the lane! That or switch to an all-concrete-commute

The Goodyears weigh 8 pounds more apiece than the Pirelli's!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2003, 08:08 AM
Zappa
5th Gear
Thanks for this info.. On other cars i run Toyo T1-S. They are a softer sidewall but grip from hell! They are the best tyre inthe rain hands down and great for autocross!! Please consider these!

Old 01-21-2003, 08:35 PM
mojoey
2nd Gear
I switched from the 17" S-Lites w/ Pirelli's to 16x7 Rota Circuit 8's w/ 205/50-16 Toyo T1S Proxes (thanks again to Peter @ R-Speed). I may have never known the difference either, but it's reality guys - major difference in ride quality! You give up a little handling sharpness, but make up for it in grip. No more "tramlining", no more sliding, better wet grip, and the ride is still plenty stiff, without the rough edge. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
By the way, the low pressure warning works regardless of tire type and with MINI Assistance and AAA, I'm taking my chances on a flat (OK, just jinxed myself). I'll throw in a can of Fix-A-Flat for long trips.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:59 PM
cleo1943
Neutral
changing from ride flat

I got my 2007 Mini S with 16,000 miles. At 20,000 miles one of the front ride flats blew out and stranded me. The other front tire had a "blister" and I had to replace that too. The nuts were "after market" security, and the mated socket was not with the car, so they had to be broken off. It cost me $528.00. Now, I have a howling at 70MPH which the dealer says is caused by the rear tires. I want to get a wheel and spare and buy regular tires. The ride flats cost $100 more a tire and last half as long as the regulars. Also, perusing a magazine while waiting at the dealer, I saw an after market kit to mount a spare tire on the back outside, like the old Nash Metrolpolitans. It would seem someone has made the switch and has some recommendations. Or, perhaps a tire dealer that has a whole package to make the change. Please let me know. Thanks, Nelson.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:28 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cleo1943
I got my 2007 Mini S with 16,000 miles. At 20,000 miles one of the front ride flats blew out and stranded me. The other front tire had a "blister" and I had to replace that too. The nuts were "after market" security, and the mated socket was not with the car, so they had to be broken off. It cost me $528.00. Now, I have a howling at 70MPH which the dealer says is caused by the rear tires. I want to get a wheel and spare and buy regular tires. The ride flats cost $100 more a tire and last half as long as the regulars. Also, perusing a magazine while waiting at the dealer, I saw an after market kit to mount a spare tire on the back outside, like the old Nash Metrolpolitans. It would seem someone has made the switch and has some recommendations. Or, perhaps a tire dealer that has a whole package to make the change. Please let me know. Thanks, Nelson.
You get brownie points for using a > 6-year old thread! Welcome to NAM!

I assume you have the Cooper S.

Those who have changed from runflat to regular tires usually opt to carry flat tire repair kits and their cell phone in case of a flat. For longer trips, some have put a spare "donut" tire in rear.

There are many threads discussing the pros and cons of various solutions.

Just one example: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...are-donut.html

Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM
mcarlo52
4th Gear
I just bought two non-runflats Bridgestones to replace my worn runflats. I got about 27,000 miles on the tires and they were on the fronts for most of those miles. I've read a little about the pros and cons and decided on the donut spare. I went ahead and bought the MINI spare from Mini-Mania and got a bag for it from Helix. It fits very nicely behind the passenger seat and with the passenger seat moved back as far as the tire allows, it won't budge. I know I could have gone cheaper with non-MINI tire, but after adding all the costs, it's still much less expensive than two new runflats.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Moto Phil
Neutral
I discovered a serious tow issue that competely wore the inside of my left front tire. Since all four OEM run flats were pretty much more than 50% worn I decided to change all four for new ones. After finding out how much OEM replacement tires would cost me, I realized I'd have to do some research.
The benefits of run flats just didn't make economic sense. I found the same size/profile regular tires for my Cooper S with almost the same tread pattern as the original Dunlops for $145 each. Bought a can of fix-a-flat and a $25 cigarette lighter type air compressor that will get me out of most flat tire situations to put in the trunk.
The end result is softer ride, lighter steering, better performance, and a tire that I'll get a hole lot more mileage out of.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:26 PM
fused
2nd Gear
Just got rid of the run flats today... Pirelli's PZero Nero's....waaaaaaaaaaaay nicer...

I'm betting that shoving RFs down the customers throats is costing them sales.
I almost walked the first time with the CM... But never having RFs before I gave it a try...BAD MOVE!

RFs are now a deal breaker.... My tires if you want my $$$$$

Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Quick Reply: Do not buy Run-Flat tires