Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Chipping/scratches on my white x-lites

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 12:51 AM
projekt7
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chipping/scratches on my white x-lites

I've posted this on mini2 but haven't been able to get any response, so I want to see if you guys here can help me out.

I took delivery of my CR/W MCS about 3 weeks ago, and my white x-lites are already full of scratches! I've never hit any thing, haven't curbed them, but all four of my wheels have scratches on them. The worst part is that brake dust gets into the scratches and doesn't wash off easily when I wash my wheels, so they are very obvious. Before I took my car in to fix the interior rattles and do the rear fig retro fit, they were better. Now, there are many more scratches.
Anyone else have the same problem with white wheels? any solutions?

Old 03-27-2005, 03:33 AM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by projekt7
I've posted this on mini2 but haven't been able to get any response, so I want to see if you guys here can help me out.

I took delivery of my CR/W MCS about 3 weeks ago, and my white x-lites are already full of scratches! I've never hit any thing, haven't curbed them, but all four of my wheels have scratches on them. The worst part is that brake dust gets into the scratches and doesn't wash off easily when I wash my wheels, so they are very obvious. Before I took my car in to fix the interior rattles and do the rear fig retro fit, they were better. Now, there are many more scratches.
Anyone else have the same problem with white wheels? any solutions?
Same for me (including the rattles). It always shocks me when I'm wiping down the wheels after a wash to see how many scratches there are. I use a little wax to minimize their appearance, but am at a loss for what is causing them.

Old 03-29-2005, 12:29 PM
jwardell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I certainly have the same problem, and it will happen with any painted wheel. Pebbles and such get kicked up, and there's quite a bit of airflow moving through your wheel, so it's not surprising they hit the wheel which while spinning at an ungodly rate gets scratched.

I wouldn't call it a solution, but autozone sells touch-up paint that has both a brush and a fine ball point on it, which is perfect for filling in he scratches. However they don't have paint codes (!!??) and I haven't found a decently matching white.

You could also try some scratch-x to polish out the scratch.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:10 PM
minilites
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
white X-lites

Hows it going ? was just looking for a solution to my scratches on my X-lites
and i think i found a temporary fix. i've been waxing my wheels with Meguiar's
cleaner-wax,and it seems to fill scrathes rather nicely.it also gives the wheels a nice shine,give it a try it seems to be working for me

Old 07-03-2005, 07:50 PM
kfmuller
4th Gear
Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by minilites
Hows it going ? was just looking for a solution to my scratches on my X-lites
and i think i found a temporary fix. i've been waxing my wheels with Meguiar's
cleaner-wax,and it seems to fill scrathes rather nicely.it also gives the wheels a nice shine,give it a try it seems to be working for me
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to get a floor jack so that I can take off both wheels on each side, clean and wax them real good, and rotate rear to front and vice versa - I've got 4200 miles on my 05 and the front tires are showing a little wear.