Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Total Cost of JCW Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 05:19 PM
bonz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Cost of JCW Brakes?

I am considering the JCW brake kit for Greta but before I make that plunge I am interested in what the fellow US peeps are paying for this upgrade. I know the list is $1065 plus 2-3 hr labor so ...... What was your total cost?

Nice

Old 04-12-2005, 05:50 PM
sundancekc
2nd Gear
I was quoted $1485 including installation here in KC today. That's 4 hours install at $105/hr.

It's expensive but I'm still considering it.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:05 AM
cooper44
4th Gear
$1500 plus tax here in Charlotte. Has anyone done this upgrade yet? Seems like a good one, but that's on paper.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:13 AM
RLmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sundancekc
I was quoted $1485 including installation here in KC today. That's 4 hours install at $105/hr.

It's expensive but I'm still considering it.
Four hours labor seems like too much for a direct bolt on kit. I just installed a BBK on a customer car this past Sunday in about 1.5 hours and that in my home garage with just hand tools while taking breaks and talking with the customer the whole time.

Old 04-13-2005, 05:57 PM
DK23
3rd Gear
I agree, that seems like way too much install time. I was the customer RLMini installed the brakes for, and he had it done easily and without any rush in the 1.5 hours.
Thanks again, love the brakes.

Old 04-13-2005, 06:04 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
Take a look at any of the factory manuals on how to install options like the driving lights the book says right on the front cover install time, every single dealer that I have heard of charge 2 or some case 3 times that install time. The driving lights are supposed to be a 2hr install but every dealer charges 4hr labor??????

Old 04-13-2005, 06:55 PM
RLmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bonz
I am considering the JCW brake kit for Greta but before I make that plunge I am interested in what the fellow US peeps are paying for this upgrade. I know the list is $1065 plus 2-3 hr labor so ...... What was your total cost?

Nice
Bonz, I was just on the JCW site and checked out these brakes. I was wondering what was it about them that caught your eye? It apears to be a heavy standard passensger car cast iron floating caliper that has been painted red. The increase in rotor size looks very minimal. I think just about any other kit on the market would give you better performance while saving un-sprung weight. Most of the kits out there will give you shorter stopping distances and will do it over and over without any fading. My B3 kits are $900 and that includes installation if you are in Texas. Some other kits are similary priced and I am convinced that you would have better braking form any of them. Check also TCE, Willwood and Brembo. You would be happier with any of these, and you can get them with red calipers or paint them any color you like.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:07 PM
bonz
3rd Gear
What caught my eye about the JCW brake kit???? To be quite honest the JCW name and reputation . All performance parts at this time are JCW, this includes 200 then 207hp kit and 18" JCW wheels and I am quite happy with those results. I know I can get the same if not better performance from differant brands but the theme of Greta is JCW.

Do I need big brakes on Greta ..... No, she is not my primary car and I drive her less than 700 mile a month and have yet to get her on a track ...... Do I want the JCW bbk ..... Yes, I sure do.

Thank for all of you responses

NICE

Old 04-13-2005, 08:18 PM
RLmini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bonz
What caught my eye about the JCW brake kit???? To be quite honest the JCW name and reputation . All performance parts at this time are JCW, this includes 200 then 207hp kit and 18" JCW wheels and I am quite happy with those results. I know I can get the same if not better performance from differant brands but the theme of Greta is JCW.

Do I need big brakes on Greta ..... No, she is not my primary car and I drive her less than 700 mile a month and have yet to get her on a track ...... Do I want the JCW bbk ..... Yes, I sure do.

Thank for all of you responses

NICE
Makes perfect sense All JCW!

Old 04-13-2005, 08:47 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
The main reason the JCW brakes are on my upgrade consideration list is that they'll fit under the R85 S-lites without spacers, and they retain the stock hoses. I'm not sure if they also retian the stock heat shields, but if they do, that's another plus.

Although the sliding caliper is not a design I'm enamored of, especially after being spoiled by the ease of maintaining Lockheed fixed calipers, it's a compromise that might be necessary in order to clear the R85s.

As far as hose material goes, I'm not convinced that what's best for the track is also better for the street. I'm concerned with the durability of braided stainless over plastic (teflon?) lines. Do they wear faster than rubber hoses? The stainless steel braid is porus, and could allow grit to get trapped between the braid and the underlying flexible line. This opens up the possibility for abrasion wear as the line flexes during suspension travel. Do they get brittle in really cold weather?

I'll need to ask these questions and more if I actually get to the point of taking the plunge for a BBK, but for now, the stockers are doing an adequate (but dusty) job of stopping the car.

Just my $.02

Old 04-13-2005, 09:00 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
Quality SS braided brake lines are nothing to worry about. I've had many years of service on mine (BMW Club Racer) without a single issue. And, IMO, they do improve braking feel substantially.

Last edited by eMINI; 04-13-2005 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo